Jerry sending message to Zeke at PC

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think there's no doubt that this was sending a message about how the team wants to do business.

They've effectively threatened. If you hold out for all that you can get? You're not going to get it here. The team is not going to destroy their cap to keep any one player. So take a reasonable offer, get yourself life-changing security while you can and remain part of a talented, high profile team with a chance to win a championship, or be driven solely by greed and take your chances elsewhere.
Do you think this is how do I say this. A chance for this franchise to mimic what the Patriots have been doing. We have to take care of the franchise no longer can we commit ourselves to one or two special players. I mean if there was no salary cap I know Jerry would pay everybody. I think they're finally learning how to win under these new conditions. Go Cowboys

Jeffkills

Reaction score
Here you sickos go bringing in someone’s jock. And you know you have no idea what you’re talking about because I’m the one that said Cowboys should let Zeke go instead of paying him. But go ahead and continue to speak on how you have jocks on your mind.

You’ve been singing Zeke’s praises RE his intentions to hold out and screw the the team so he can get a max dollars and get PAID!!

Quit playing.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you think this is how do I say this. A chance for this franchise to mimic what the Patriots have been doing. We have to take care of the franchise no longer can we commit ourselves to one or two special players. I mean if there was no salary cap I know Jerry would pay everybody. I think they're finally learning how to win under these new conditions. Go Cowboys

I certainly do. And I think Stephen Jones has become a real force in that change in mindset. I think Jerry used to love bing able to announce those 'market-setting' deals. But they see what we see, a deep, talented team with a lot of big contracts coming up and many mouths to feed. And that means you can't pay top of the market contracts to everyone. And if some players and agents are too stubborn to realize that, they're not going to have a seat when the music stops.

I don't want to 'lose' any of the players, but simple accounting of the salary cap shows that we certainly will. In simple terms, we can't keep everybody, but if each guy take a little bit less than they ideally want, we can keep a few more anyway.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Gotta be honest.

I’d rather sign Byron Jones than Zeke.

And I love Zeke the football player. He’s awesome. I just think when you take into account off-field and leadership and impact of a shut-down CB vs an elite RB in today's game, I’d rather have the CB.

Especially if you can get a return for Zeke in a trade.

Without question

Zeke:
Headache off the field
Suspension risk
Has missed games
On a downward trajectory
Plays RB

Byron:
Model citizen
No suspension risk
Hasnt missed a game in four seasons
On an upward trajectory
Lockdown corner

Last edited:

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I certainly do. And I think Stephen Jones has become a real force in that change in mindset. I think Jerry used to love bing able to announce those 'market-setting' deals. But they see what we see, a deep, talented team with a lot of big contracts coming up and many mouths to feed. And that means you can't pay top of the market contracts to everyone. And if some players and agents are too stubborn to realize that, they're not going to have a seat when the music stops.

I don't want to 'lose' any of the players, but simple accounting of the salary cap shows that we certainly will. In simple terms, we can't keep everybody, but if each guy take a little bit less than they ideally want, we can keep a few more anyway.
I will respect any team player who shows he's willing to give up something for the team. I know everybody wants their so-called just deserves. But now is not the time to be I don't want to use the word selfish but a lack of a better word. We could have something very special here. Go Cowboys go team. On a different note. I find it very concerning, that some people can't see the big picture. You have to take everything on an individual basis. I might choose Jerry today on one matter. But not on a different matter tomorrow. What happened to individualism LOL be good be safe my cowboy brother. I'm out

ghst187

Reaction score
I approve of Jerry.

Agree that Zeke will be the odd man out.

Zeke made himself the odd man out by being an idiot.
His leverage is fading fast. The team is moving forward.
He still has two years of contract left and if he no shows to start the season he’s losing millions.
If we trade him, I really hope it’s to a dumpster team.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
All of this has made me appreciate guys that show up to work and work hard and don't complain. To me Dak/Cooper have done a much better than that than Zeke who has also caused problems off the field. Jaylon Smith has been a great example of that as well, glad we paid the man.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Forget, for a moment, how we got here with regard to Zeke's holdout and, forget for a moment, the messaging or who disrespected whom. Remove, for a moment, the fans from the equation (let's face it, we as fans often by Fview decisions by the team quite differently than the FO).

This then boils down to a labor dispute. If you accept that premise, I don't see how the team can "bend" to Zeke's demands to be the highest paid player at his position. That scenario just doesn't bode well for the long-term "health" of the team's cap situation. If, indeed, the team has made a legitimate offer to Zeke, hold the line on the offer and prepare for a season long holdout.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yes, Jerry won't pay his stars what they're worth, and will expect them to take deals for the sake of the team, meanwhile he and his sons rake in billions of dollars on the backs of these very players, but sure, it is Dak and Zeke who are the greedy ones
Jerry is not "saving" money by paying some slightly less than max value.
The slightly extra money just goes to secure other payers
Same output, not hoarding.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Did you know that less money was paid to running backs in the NFL in 2018 than in 2008 even though the salary cap has gone up by 50%?

Jerry should just tell Zeke show up or never play football again.

Wow, I didn't know that!

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Ya know who's not celebrating this today? Not one player in that locker room coming up next season because Booger used Jaylon's loyalty against other players and tried to put them in a bad view. Like that 40M BS rumor they started and the mysterious parking lot video of Bryant when he was negotiating.

That was a boatload of BS today. Never should have addressed the other players, that should have been all about Jaylon and not some hometown discount but the fact he's a Cowboy and one we do not have to be concerned about.
Yep. If I'm Zeke and his agent, I'm much more angry about this than about the "Zeke who?" joke. Jerry basically is saying if you don't take the deal we put in front of you -- also reference his "this shouldn't be that complicated" jab -- then you aren't a team player. One, he shouldn't be trying to turn public and teammate sentiment against these players, and two, Jaylon is a unique situation with his injury and basically getting paid his first year for no production.

Sydla

Reaction score
Getting toyed around with? Who opened their mouths about signing all 3 of these players with all under contract and started with Gurley's deal?

How convenient, shoot their mouths off and then try to turn it on the agents. Agents could care less about the Joneses and them letting it be known the ones they have trouble dealing with because they're lame negotiators without some leverage to work with like the personal attachment that Jaylon has.

Ya know who's not celebrating this today? Not one player in that locker room coming up next season because Booger used Jaylon's loyalty against other players and tried to put them in a bad view. Like that 40M BS rumor they started and the mysterious parking lot video of Bryant when he was negotiating.

That was a boatload of BS today. Never should have addressed the other players, that should have been all about Jaylon and not some hometown discount but the fact he's a Cowboy and one we do not have to be concerned about.

If I am those agents, I just got a hell of a lot harder to deal with and if I am one of those players, I'd let Booger know that was dirty pool and a low blow delivered during a happy time. Who in the hell isn't a Jaylon Smith fan? I'd bet those 3 players are and he just got used against them. I can't see him happy about that either.

Of course the fans are going to get all giddy and give Booger an attaboy, we want everyone to take less because we are not them.

There is a lot of conjecture here. No one FORCED Smith to sign the deal he did. He wanted to and Jerry is perfectly in his right to point out why signing Smith for the number he got is good for the team.

And let's freaking kill this idea that taking a bit less to maybe stretch the cap is some bizarre concept and an unrealistic expectation. Players around the league have done this.

If the agents are pissed today, that's their problem. Frankly, Zeke's agent can go **** in a hat for all I care. His little "I and Zeke are angry at Jerry's joke" to try to shift the PR narrative was embarrassing.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Do you think he wouldn't want to be traded? Problem is what team is going to give him Gurley money and give up picks for the privilege. How many teams are dumb enough to pay a RB 15M per year?

The next draft class is the best RB one in many years, why pay any RB for a 2nd contract?
i feel sorry for those RBs if they are taken in the 1st...lol. Might be fun to see other teams with our problems.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yep. If I'm Zeke and his agent, I'm much more angry about this than about the "Zeke who?" joke. Jerry basically is saying if you don't take the deal we put in front of you -- also reference his "this shouldn't be that complicated" jab -- then you aren't a team player. One, he shouldn't be trying to turn public and teammate sentiment against these players, and two, Jaylon is a unique situation with his injury and basically getting paid his first year for no production.

Why not? Zeke and his agent tried to turn public and teammate sentiment when they cried over Jerry's clear joke.

If they want to play that game, then as Jerry said, he's earned the right to give it back to them. Maybe you should have kept your mouths shut Zeke when it was clear to anyone listening that Jerry was joking with the "Zeke who" comment.

erod

Reaction score
Did you know that less money was paid to running backs in the NFL in 2018 than in 2008 even though the salary cap has gone up by 50%?

Jerry should just tell Zeke show up or never play football again.

Wow, you should make that it'its own thread. That is succinct as or it gets.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You’ve been singing Zeke’s praises RE his intentions to hold out and screw the the team so he can get a max dollars and get PAID!!

Quit playing.
I said I want Zeke to get paid but not in Dallas. Why is that too hard to comprehend? I spelled it out for you. I can put my fandom aside and hope the best for dude but I’d rather spend that money elsewhere. You sound butt hurt about him getting paid. Get over it. He’s breaking the bank.

Jeffkills

Reaction score
I said I want Zeke to get paid but not in Dallas. Why is that too hard to comprehend? I spelled it out for you. I can put my fandom aside and hope the best for dude but I’d rather spend that money elsewhere. You sound butt hurt about him getting paid. Get over it. He’s breaking the bank.
Why don’t you want Dallas to pay him?

I don’t ever remember you saying that...

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Why don’t you want Dallas to pay him?

I don’t ever remember you saying that...

I've stated numerous times I don't believe we should spend all that money on a running back and have 3 of the highest paid linemen in the league. I don't believe we should even have that. There is too much money offense and its not at receiver and its not at quarterback. Its in running back and three offensive linemen and 4 if you count Collins but I think Collins will probably leave us after this year.

I do believe a player Zeke's caliber should get paid. But not in Dallas.