Jerry sits down with Pam Oliver - Preview & Post-Preview Discussion **MERGE**

cowboyed

Reaction score
No one mentions of course that Jerry was discussed after the interview and that no one disagreed that Jerry is NOT a meddler including Jimmy Johnson. And Jimmy even confirmed yet again that Jerry Jones DID NOT drive him from the team that he felt it was time to move on after winning the Superbowls.

Jimmy went on to state that Garrett needs to be firm with Jerry because Jerry does bring up ideas. I am guessing those are promotional or marketing ones, some of which could distract the team. Jimmy even reiterated that player selections are by committee but that in his contract he had exclusivity. He also stated that the GM does not have to be replaced just that the head coach needs to be assertive enough.

As much as I have defended Jerry the GM for doing a pretty good job in recent years I still believe the optimum thing would be to step down and hire a proven outsider with objectivity and with just that important role on his plate. Owner-GMs are likely highly subjective about the quality of their teams and coaching staff.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
marchetta;3694587 said:
That was a darn good interview. She asked a lot of the tough questions that most Cowboy fans would ask Jerry, that the local media shy away from.

Was impressed that the questions were not just softball lobs tossed his way.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
cowboyed;3694614 said:
No one mentions of course that Jerry was discussed after the interview and that no one disagreed that Jerry is NOT a meddler including Jimmy Johnson. And Jimmy even confirmed yet again that Jerry Jones DID NOT drive him from the team that he felt it was time to move on after winning the Superbowls.

Jimmy went on to state that Garrett needs to be firm with Jerry because Jerry does bring up ideas. I am guessing those are promotional or marketing ones, some of which could distract the team. Jimmy even reiterated that player selections are by committee but that in his contract he had exclusivity. He also stated that the GM does not have to be replaced just that the head coach needs to be assertive enough.

As much as I have defended Jerry the GM for doing a pretty good job in recent years I still believe the optimum thing would be to step down and hire a proven outsider with objectivity and with just that important role on his plate. Owner-GMs are likely highly subjective about the quality of their teams and coaching staff.

But would he hire that person? Or one that is perceived as just another yes-man?

UVAwahoos

Benched
Reaction score
it'll be the best football move you ever make..."

On the Fox pregame show just now. Makes me happy that the mainstream media is beginning to drill Jerry about this issue. In years past, it has just been an angry group of fans essentially. He has shown that he reacts when public perception is strong enough...as with the Wade firing.

Also...I loved the Pam Oliver interview. She drilled him about a lot of things that are debated on this board every day. He rambled through another set of incoherent answers, but doesn't seem like much will change until he starts losing money for sure.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
UVAwahoos;3694625 said:

On the Fox pregame show just now. Makes me happy that the mainstream media is beginning to drill Jerry about this issue. In years past, it has just been an angry group of fans essentially. He has shown that he reacts when public perception is strong enough...as with the Wade firing.

Also...I loved the Pam Oliver interview. She drilled him about a lot of things that are debated on this board every day. He rambled through another set of incoherent answers, but doesn't seem like much will change until he starts losing money for sure.

OMG. This opinion isn't new in the media. It's been going on for over a decade.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
UVAwahoos;3694625 said:

I thought his answers were more understandable than usual. I will agree that sometimes you need help deciphering what he says.

cowboyed

Reaction score
DanteEXT;3694623 said:
But would he hire that person? Or one that is perceived as just another yes-man?

Dante he did that with Jimmy and even more poignantly with Parcells. Fans forget that Jerry actually was trying to talk Parcells into staying. Now Jerry is human, I am sure he would like to follow the least path of resistance but I have a strong feeling that Garrett will be the perfect balance between too stern and too lax and also too accomodating and unaccomodating to the owner gm.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
cowboyed;3694639 said:
Dante he did that with Jimmy and even more poignantly with Parcells. Fans forget that Jerry actually was trying to talk Parcells into staying. Now Jerry is human, I am sure he would like to follow the least path of resistance but I have a strong feeling that Garrett will be the perfect balance between too stern and too lax and also too accomodating and unaccomodating to the owner gm.

I hope Garrett is that type.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who had the power when Jimmy Johnson was Cowboys coach?

Posted at 11:49 AM on Sun., Nov. 14, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer / Reporter http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/bio-icon.jpg Bio | http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail | http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

Jerry Jones has consistently said he has had final say over personnel with the Cowboys since he bought the team in 1989. Moments ago on Fox's pre-game show, Jimmy Johnson said it was written in his contract that he had control over personnel.

Unless we can see the papers, who knows the truth?

For snippets from the interview with Jerry, read more: http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/archives/2010/11/who-had-the-power-when-jimmy-j.html

Jed_70

Reaction score
Nav22;3693821 said:
Say what you will about Jerry, but dude wants to win BADLY. Not all fans can say that about their team's owner, and no owner wants it more than Jerry does.

I disagree. I hate win people say this about Jerry.

He wants to win, but not badly. Not badly enough to hire a more qualified GM.

He wants to win doing it HIS way. He wants that badly,

TD-33

Benched
Reaction score
So Jimmy and Strahan endorse Garrett. What have these 2 ever accomplished and how would they know?

UVAwahoos

Benched
Reaction score
SultanOfSix;3694627 said:
OMG. This opinion isn't new in the media. It's been going on for over a decade.

Awww. Does it hurt your little feelings when someone makes fun of your favorite team's owner? Poor guy...after all he's been through!!! I think you should make a youtube video since you're clearly so passionate about him.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
UVAwahoos;3694723 said:
Awww. Does it hurt your little feelings when someone makes fun of your favorite team's owner? Poor guy...after all he's been through!!! I think you should make a youtube video since you're clearly so passionate about him.

Wow. What a silly response.

All I said was this opinion is not new and it's been going on for over a decade in the media, and you mock me for saying it "hurts my feelings" for an opinion that wasn't a mockery of Jerry because Terry wouldn't do that.

Chuck Norris would kick your *** for acting so stupid.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bonecrusher#31;3694707 said:
I hope she still has this..

[URL="http://i7.***BLOCKED***/albums/y270/Bonecrusher31/pam-oliver-a.jpg"]http://i7.***BLOCKED***/albums/y270/Bonecrusher31/pam-oliver-a.jpg[/URL]
This post is very distracting.

That is all.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
DallasEast;3694831 said:
This post is very distracting.

That is all.

I don't get it. She's a fairly attractive lady, don't get me wrong. But there are a lot of attractive ladies in the world. Goes back to what I believe that, for some reason, being on TV makes you more attractive to the masses.

Seems like even cute becomes 'hot' if you are on TV in some fashion.