Jerry speaks on Elliott

John813

Reaction score
It basically says "yes... he's already lost an accrued season....... BUT.... he can get the accrued season back if he reports by week 10.... and if thats the case..... the initial date of Aug 6 is meaningless.

It's meaningless to Zeke since he's signed for 2 years.
He can report August 6th next year and accrue his "4th" year to qualify for UFA if a deal were never to happen.

However, for players drafted in 2016 who don't have a 5th year option exercised the August 6th date was huge. If they were still holding out they would of been a RFA next year. Greatly limiting their chances of getting paid a fair market value. Hence why Yannick Ngakoue caved in on his holdout prior to August 6th.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Not sure how to read this.

Is Jerry saying they don't need Elliott early and just want him signed for the latter part of the year? Is he saying, hey, Zeke, I want you for the playoffs so if you hold out long enough, I'll buckle and give you what you want come October/Nov?

The last part makes me cringe, unless I am missing his point. You want to pay him a crap ton of money but you have to "manage" him, ie his usage?

Another example of the Joneses speaking unnecessarily. Just because there's a microphone doesn't mean you have to spill your guts.

Reporter: "What's the status with Zeke?"

Jerry: "That's an internal matter. I'll make an announcement at the appropriate time."

Reporter: blah, blah, blah Zeke...

Jerry: "That's an internal matter. I'll make an announcement at the appropriate time."

gmoney112

Reaction score
Jerry is always trying to get a favorable view from his negotiating partners, he just does it naturally at this point, so the other party may agree to more favorable terms.

Sounds like he's saying (or trying to say), that they don't want to run Zeke into the ground, they want to keep him healthy so he can make plays on the big stage.

Intent is twofold. One, he's angling to make it seem like prolonging Zeke's career is in the best interest for Dallas, and that he's a very important person for the franchise, to be relied on when it's most important, and everyone feels pride in their profession when that occurs. Second, Zeke gets to shine, for himself and all the publicity, fans, endorsements that come with that.

Bold strategy, Cotton.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
They could lose Game 1 if Barkley runs wild to let them know the Rams playoff game was not an one time event.
Don't overlook any of these teams. The media and preseason records/stats mean nothing. The opponent will show up and we (DC) always creates ways of keeping games close no matter who we're playing.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Another example of the Joneses speaking unnecessarily. Just because there's a microphone doesn't mean you have to spill your guts.

This, Jerry never met a microphone of camera he didn't like

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

True. Unfortunately, his particular personality continually and repetitively urges him to publicly comment about anything and everything.

It is a self-validation mechanism. Simply being the Owner/President/General Manager is not enough in his mind to remind the media of the power he wields. Speaking and addressing the media during any opportunity re-establishes his unquestionable authority, which is also good in his mind because he believes any publicity is good for the franchise.

It is something observers should be accustomed to after 30 years of the same practice. Heck. We should all be happy he does not wear his Hall of Fame jacket 24/7, lol.

coult44

Reaction score
That wasn’t his tone at

Is Jerry saying they don't need Elliott early and just want him signed for the latter part of the year? Is he saying, hey, Zeke, I want you for the playoffs so if you hold out long enough, I'll buckle and give you what you want come October/Nov?

The last part makes me cringe, unless I am missing his point. You want to pay him a crap ton of money but you have to "manage" him, ie his usage?

That wasn’t his tone at all. It was more like it really doesn’t matter when he comes. He didn’t seemed worried even a little bit.

Sydla

Reaction score

See, I think this commentary is way more damaging than something Stephen said way back in February. Stephen's Gurley commentary was meaningless and easily walked back. Plus Elliott was going to hold out for the biggest deal regardless of what Stephen said.

But this comment, where it basically seems to indicate that Jerry is saying, hey, hold out as long as you want, we only need you for the late season push is far more damaging.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
I hope Pollard & Co. make all this Zeke chatter a moot point... By the way 10 Zeke threads on the front page..

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think Jerry has lost his mind is what I think. I really think this plunger is going to pay the mercenary whatever he wants sadly.
Zeke fumbled 6 times last year highest in the NFL among RBs.
Imagine a rusty Zeke coming in for the playoffs like some primadonna to save the day even though Pollard would have been the one who GOT us to the playoffs!!! But JJ will bench him in the final dance to honor his primadonna #1 paid mercenary RB Zeke?? If he does this, JJ is a fool......... :clap:
Dak Fumbles more then Zeke and a leader among QBs, most UNFORCED, what do we do about that??hmm pay him 35 no problem hate on zeke use fumbles(12 career) as a narrative when the starting QB fumbles 25 so far in his career in 3 yrs!! and throws picks..called TOs..it happens.. remember those 2 by Amari one we lost the other we should have but they had no challenges left.. how about the one that pretty much lost the GB game by Murray, he fumbled just as much but hey Zekes alone, only one.. remember that Dez one in the Seatle game, cost us the game.. yes players fumble..i dont remember any by Zeke that cost us game in critical situation, hes rb he gets hit harder and from ny nmore angles, Dak a QB and has twice as many fumbles..:thumbup::clap::popcorn:

rikolai

Reaction score
He’s stupids if he’s taking the divisional games for granted

Yes, the idea that the Cowboys will automatically start the season 3-0 with or without Zeke is astoundingly ridiculous. Ben Rogers likened the first 3 games to 3 bye weeks yesterday. It's like people watch season after season of pro football without learning anything about the competitive balance of the sport.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
My Father always said, never bite the hand that feeds you, that's where I think Zeke is making a huge mistake

coult44

Reaction score
This is false. He already lost his chance to accrue a year towards free agency. He had so show up bu Aug 6th.

This was discussed for several days weeks ago. This is not the case at all .

BigD_95

Reaction score

Im thinking he has to be back by week 10 right? I think he is saying hold out and come week 10 you have to come back and you will have fresh legs but you aint getting anymore money - at least I hope thats what he means.

Sydla

Reaction score
This was discussed for several days weeks ago. This is not the case at all .

Yes, it was the case. He can't accrue a season towards unrestricted free agency in 2019 because he didn't show up by Aug 6th.

Read the thread and you'll see where you likely are confused.