Jerry speaks on Elliott

LittleD

Reaction score
Yes he can accrue that needed 4th year to be an unrestricted FA if he shows up by Aug 6th next camp. He can't earn that 4th year accrual this year, however.

I agree. There is some rule about him needing to play the last 6 games this season though.

Sydla

Reaction score
I agree. There is some rule about him needing to play the last 6 games this season though.

That rule is tied to when his contract expires. It doesn't have anything to do with accruing seasons for free agent status.

The best way to look at it is this.

To be an unrestricted free agent, two things need to happen.

1) Your contract has to obviously expire
2) You have logged 4 years of NFL service (if you only have 3 years of service, you are a restricted FA).

The Aug 6th date is tied to accruing seasons towards that 4 years of NFL service (#2 above). The Week 10 date is tied to whether or not the season counts as a season played under the contract (tied to #1 above). In other words, if he doesn't show up by Week 10 this year, his contract doesn't expire after the 2020 season, it expires after the 2021 season, regardless of whether or not he eventually logged that 4th year of NFL service.

So let's say Elliott doesn't try to show up until the 14th game. This season doesn't count towards his NFL service years AND it doesn't count as a season played under his contract. Now let's say he shows up before Aug 6th next year and plays the 2020 season. In that case, he would have met the 4 years NFL service requirement to be an unrestricted free agent, however his contract wouldn't expire after the 2020 season. It would expire after the 2021 season. So by not showing up by Week 10 this year, he essentially moves the date he can become a free agent from after 2020, to after 2021.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I think Jerry is just saying we won't be held hostage by the thought of him sitting out early. Jerry is calling his bluff.

But the bigger point to me is this assumption by Jerry that we're making the playoffs. Yes, this team should, because it has crazy talent. But assuming in August that you're going to coast to the playoffs is incredibly dangerous and absolutely the wrong attitude, especially for this franchise. That's been proven too many times in the past.