Twitter: Jerry to Troy - Drastic changes don't need to be made

DBOY3141

Reaction score
A tough stretch, Jerry?

I've had three kids since you last won a divisional playoff game, and one of them is a junior in college.

Bill Clinton was president.

You had your old face.

Leighton Vander Esch wasn't born.

This message board didn't exist.

We had flip phones.

The internet was 56K.

Yeah, that's quite a stretch, Jerry.
not in his pocketbook.....priorities, my man....priorities.

irishline

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Troy may be correct but his judgement in personnel is questionable.

“ David LaFleur – Hand-picked by Troy Aikman to replace Jay Novacek, the 22nd pick in ’97 flopped with only 85 catches in 60 career games.“

"...Jones was wondering whether Aikman would be willing to accompany him to work out some of the top prospects in April’s draft. Aikman agreed, but with one condition — as an All-Pro in the middle of his offseason, each workout would have to double as a golf outing. So in late March, just a few days before Aikman teed off at Pebble Beach, he rode with Jones to Huntington Beach High School, where he threw passes to a young tight end named Tony Gonzalez.

Quarterbacks of Troy Aikman’s stature typically don’t attend draft workouts, and when Kansas City Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson heard that Aikman had been on hand to see Gonzalez, he took notice. An All-American who’d skipped his senior season at Cal, Gonzalez wasn’t likely to be around past the middle of the first round, and if the Cowboys wanted him it would mean trading up from the 25th pick. The Cowboys’ interest, along with rumblings from Gonzalez’s agent, Leigh Steinberg, were enough to spur Peterson into action.

On the morning of the draft, Peterson called another UCLA acquaintance, Tennessee Oilers general manager Floyd Reese — whom he’d known since they both had been assistant coaches at UCLA back in the mid-’70s — and asked if he would be interested in moving down a few picks in the first round. Reese seemed receptive, and when Gonzalez was still on the board when Houston was on the clock with the 13th pick, Peterson called again. The asking price was Kansas City’s first-round pick and third- and sixth-round picks. Peterson jumped at the offer. With the 13th overall pick, Tony Gonzalez was officially a Kansas City Chief.

The Cowboys did eventually move up, from 25 to 22, where they took LSU tight end David LaFleur. Aikman had also thrown to LaFleur before the draft, and he’d been impressed. Figuring Gonzalez would likely be off the board when the Cowboys picked, Aikman told the Cowboys brass he was onboard with LaFleur. But when it came time for Jones to explain the pick, his take was a bit different. “Jerry stands up and says, ‘Troy wanted David LaFleur,'” Aikman says. So everyone here in Dallas thinks I picked David LaFleur over Tony Gonzalez. That couldn’t be further from the truth. They never asked me, ‘Which one do you want?'

http://grantland.com/features/the-career-tony-gonzalez/

Agree with your premise but not completely accurate (it is a well talked about story though).

Last edited:

DBOY3141

Reaction score

“ David LaFleur – Hand-picked by Troy Aikman to replace Jay Novacek, the 22nd pick in ’97 flopped with only 85 catches in 60 career games.“
he also worked Tony Gonzalez, but KC traded up to take him. I don't think i've seen anything that says Troy preferred Lafleur over Gonzalez.

Air Force One

Reaction score
Exactly. He will never ever admit to it.

But I love seeing a former Cowboy with such a high standing call him out for it. Others should follow.
Exactly. If former Cowboy stars care about this organization, or at least the fans, they will come forward Like Troy did. If they don't, screw them, all they care about is access and being liked by Jerry.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

But I love seeing a former Cowboy with such a high standing call him out for it. Others should follow.

Darren Woodson did the other day as well. And I thought Witten dropped some truths during Monday Night's game, even if it was inadvertent. They're starting to grow louder and more numerous. He can't ignore it forever.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score

Don’t worry bro. Staubach got Dak’s back. This should only strengthen Jerry’s resolve.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
For some reason when I heard a "tough stretch" this came to my mind, and not the explanation for 22 years of mediocrity...

Last edited:

IceBowler

Reaction score
If want to seriously consider a football observation, I take Aikman.
On the other hand, if I want to know how to get $14 for a hot dog, I take Jerry ...

Both are important in their own special way ...

Big_D

Reaction score
Seriously what a clown. Things will never improve as long as he’s here.

birdwells1

Reaction score

What does this have to do with him telling the truth about Jerry Jones.