Twitter: Jerry: We have a QB we can build with for years to come

birdwells1

Reaction score
As the Cowboys’ passing game struggles, Jerry Jones said the team has not had a true No. 1 receiver in “several years,” on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas. Dez Bryant’s last big season came in 2014. Jones signed Bryant to a $70 million contract in 2015 but the production dropped and Bryant was released last April. “I’m basically giving you my definition of a No. 1 receiver and it is Julio Jones. It is the guy we played the other night (DeAndre Hopkins),” Jones said. “Those are the guys. There’s not but about a handful of those in the NFL.”
i

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer1m ago

I'm not going to tiptoe around this, Dez Bryant is not the player that he was at 25 years old but he is still a good football player. With a qb like Romo, Big Ben or Rivers Dez would be a 80 catch 1200 yard 8 td wr. People said that his numbers the last 3 years proves that he fell off but I say that it proves that he didn't have a top passer throwing him the ball. Moore, Cassell, Weeden and Dak, which one is fit to be a starting qb in the NFL? None, but it just so happens that these are the guys that Dez's number are suppose to equal when Romo (Cowboys all time passing leader) was throwing him the ball.

I wouldn't have paid Dez 12 million in 2018 because I wouldn't pay Hopkins, Evans, Brown or Julio that amount either with Dak qbing he's just not that good so it is a waste of resources.

Dez can still play but with his actions after his release, the timing of his release and the Cowboys saying disparaging things about him after his release he is without a job.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think this is an excellent assessment overall, with one disagreement. I think that Linehan and Garrett have to go regardless of whether Dak stays or goes. They've never shown themselves to be good with any quarterback not named Romo, not even competent without him.

And every quarterback they touch gets worse as a result.

Dak's issues aside, and whether he himself stays or goes, it's time to stop investing and wasting any more time in Garrett / Linehan.

Oh make no mistake..If I had my way we would get a new OC/HC and QB.

Start that offense fresh. I would not mind giving Kris a chance at HC but that is really taking a chance as I don't think he would stay on as a DC if we hired another HC.

However we need a fresh new coaches on offense for the most part. An innovative or at least modern scheme that the players can learn and thrive in. That does not have the other teams and every fan knowing the majority of the plays.

links18

Reaction score
As the Cowboys’ passing game struggles, Jerry Jones said the team has not had a true No. 1 receiver in “several years,” on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas. Dez Bryant’s last big season came in 2014. Jones signed Bryant to a $70 million contract in 2015 but the production dropped and Bryant was released last April. “I’m basically giving you my definition of a No. 1 receiver and it is Julio Jones. It is the guy we played the other night (DeAndre Hopkins),” Jones said. “Those are the guys. There’s not but about a handful of those in the NFL.”
i

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer1m ago

So, I guess this means we are trading for Julio Jones? Is that before or after the Earl Thomas trade?

Its not like Jerry didn't sign off on the "No #1 Receiver, no real TE," strategy for this season.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
We can hope that 4th down decision brings some consternation into the locker room.

If I were in that locker room, I would not be happy with my HC right now.
We Need the defense to give up. If the offense did we couldn't tell. lol

Philmonroe

Reaction score
2016 may as well be a lifetime ago.

2016 is no longer relevant to the issues going on today.
I didn't say 2016 was relative to today in the first post. I said how it was relative to who I quoted in my first post. I think y'all just read 2016 and went to posting after seeing that year and didn't get the context.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh make no mistake..If I had my way we would get a new OC/HC and QB.

Start that offense fresh. I would not mind giving Kris a chance at HC but that is really taking a chance as I don't think he would stay on as a DC if we hired another HC.

However we need a fresh new coaches on offense for the most part. An innovative or at least modern scheme that the players can learn and thrive in. That does not have the other teams and every fan knowing the majority of the plays.

It won't happen, but I'd can both Garrett and Linehan today and hand this thing over to Richard. Bring in Darrell Bevell to coach the offense the rest of the way and see if he can work with Prescott the way he worked with Russell Wilson. I'm not saying they're similar passers right now, but they do have similar skill sets in several areas.

And then see where we go from there. If nothing else, you get an assessment of whether there's anything worth salvaging. Otherwise, I think we're wasting time riding out this season when we know how this story will end.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't say 2016 was relative to today in the first post. I said how it was relative to who I quoted in my first post. I think y'all just read 2016 and went to posting after seeing that year and didn't get the context.

If I misinterpreted you, please clear things up for me.

cern

Reaction score
jerry does not recognize the glitch. dak has it. ergo,, I do not agree with jerry's assessment.

Aven8

Reaction score
Our only chance is...…..dare I say El Cheapo himself, Stephen. :cool:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We can hope that 4th down decision brings some consternation into the locker room.

If I were in that locker room, I would not be happy with my HC right now.

Nobody should be. If we at home can figure out that the coaches and scheme are a liability, what must these players think? When you're out on the field and everyone knows what you're doing and are barking it out play after play, game after game? Yeah, I'd eventually give up on those guys too. There's only so many times I run into a brick wall before I start asking why.