Jerry: Zuerlein's struggles could lead to more 4th down attempts

zeke21

Reaction score
It is not the missed FG that worries me.. it is the PAT.

links18

Reaction score
When there is much talk about your kicker before a playoff game, perhaps you have a problem, Jerruh?

Blackrain

Reaction score
Its a very strange situation that he can hit long FGs but struggles with extra points . Far be it from me to try and Dr Spock the kicking game. Fact remains there is not much we can do to fix it at this point in the season .

That said Jerrys commentary on the subject is not helping the problem especially if its confidence oriented

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I posted several days ago we’re stuck with him and it’s too late to find a better option now. They should have made a move a few weeks ago.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
why is he still in the roster ?!

go look for a kicker in the xfl !!! or wherever !

Can’t be doing that now with the playoffs in less than a week. You can’t risk your season on a kicker who’s never kicked for you except on a practice field. They should have made a move several weeks ago.

plasticman

Reaction score
Hmnn......4th down efficiency for the Cowboys this season is 58.3%, so there is a 41.7% chance the drive stops there with zero points.

On the other hand, 82.9% of the time Zuerlein makes the FG so there is a 17.1% chance of zero points..

The 49er defense is #1 against the run.

Any time Jerry Jones discusses game strategy with the media, I cringe. That's because the most horrifying aspect is that he may actually influence game strategy..

Blackspider214

Reaction score
why is he still in the roster ?!

go look for a kicker in the xfl !!! or wherever !

Can't do much now. He is our guy barring injury. The real question is why was he still brought back? He has always been shaky here. And then he got injured. Yet he had no real competition to his job. Another roster mismanagement. Something we excel at.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Touchdowns > field goals.

Yep. Ask Bama last night. They settled for FGs all night. Came back to bite them and they lost.

If it is 4th and short and we are not deep in our own territory, I absolutely go for it. More coaches are wising up to this over the last few years. This year, we are seeing coaches go for it more than we have ever seen and it will continue to grow. Punting and FGs are a loser's game. Especially in today's game. Gone are the days where you trade punts all day long. Punting is a huge disappointment more than ever.

manster4ever

Reaction score
His Field Goal % is acceptable.

His XP % is ridiculous !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoping the Cowboys address this situation this off season.

I'm sure JJ spouting off with his usual nonsense will REALLY help the twerp's confidence, or lack thereof....some things never change

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
He also said in another tweet, we're stuck with him. Too late to find a better option......

Jerry........"our kicker sucks so bad that we are probably just going to go for it on 4th down and go for two after TDs"

Jerry........"If there was somebody better we would have already signed him"

Great confidence builder Jerry, tell the whole world your kicker is such a scrub that you wont even use him in a playoff game:facepalm:

MaineBoy

Reaction score
So now they admit a problem the rest of us saw months ago ? Why are these guys always the last to admit things like Garrett sucked, Jaylon Smith sucked, this kicker sucks…

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
*All speculation*...

Sounds like Jerry is ready to give the boot both to Greg Zuerlein and John "Bones" Fassel.

It also seems like maybe Jerry wanted to keep Lirim Hajrullahu when he was brought midway through the season, but possibly Bones cried to McCarthy and demanded his boy Zuerlein be kept, thus cornering Jerry into a corner and having to side with keeping Zuerlein just to keep Bones Fassel happy.

I wouldn't doubt if Bones Fassel made a threat of quitting if his boy Zuerlein was let go mid-season.

Now, it seems Jerry has seen enough of the inaccurate Zuerlein and how it has cost the team several games. If Zuerlein costs the Cowboys during the playoffs, don't be surprised if both Zuerlein and Fassel are let go (to the demise of McCarthy).

Last edited:

jnday

Reaction score
Its a very strange situation that he can hit long FGs but struggles with extra points . Far be it from me to try and Dr Spock the kicking game. Fact remains there is not much we can do to fix it at this point in the season .

That said Jerrys commentary on the subject is not helping the problem especially if its confidence oriented
If his mental state is that fragile , he should have been cut during the preseason .

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
Jerry can’t help himself from opening his big mouth and giving us competitive disadvantage.

Blackrain

Reaction score
If his mental state is that fragile , he should have been cut during the preseason .
Agreed but it is what it is now so there's no sense in making the situation any worse by putting any more pressure on him.
We are stuck with him at this point it's all we got and we will have to make the best of it