Jetswire: Jets should call Cowboys about trade for DLaw

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
This is interesting coz most fans don't think he deserves a long-term deal as of TODAY but yet you're saying he's worth more than TWO first rounders.

Side note.....They're probably not interested but I'd consider Taco. It appears he's a bit lost in numbers here. Can't break the starting line-up even going into his 3rd year.
My thinking exactly. Charlton should be the trade discussion. Was a bad #1 draft pick position on a D in substantial need at this position.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would offer a 1st to Oakland for Mack and a 3rd next year for Thomas. Front office has thrown these picks away in the past. Worth it to know what you are getting have a chance at the big dance THIS year! I think Thomas has 3-4 excellent years left.

How do Eliiott, Zack Martin, Travis Frederick and Tyron Smith equate to thrown away picks? I wouldn’t call DeMarco Murray, Terrence Williams, Tyrone Crawford, Maliek Collins or Jourdan Lewis picks that were thrown away either.

Why would Oakland give up Mack for a first rounder? He is a proven top tier talent, and a draft pick isn’t a sure thing, even if it is a 1st rounder.

And you have to consider the salary requirements to keep these guys longer term.

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
How do Eliiott, Zack Martin, Travis Frederick and Tyron Smith equate to thrown away picks? I wouldn’t call DeMarco Murray, Terrence Williams, Tyrone Crawford, Maliek Collins or Jourdan Lewis picks that were thrown away either.

Why would Oakland give up Mack for a first rounder? He is a proven top tier talent, and a draft pick isn’t a sure thing, even if it is a 1st rounder.

And you have to consider the salary requirements to keep these guys longer term.
The Raiders and Mack have even spoken to each other in months. Front offices that know what they are doing could pull this off.

And you are omitting Taco.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Conundrum - What to do with DLaw...scared to pay him, scared to trade him.
He will have another 10+ sack season, then want alot of money in a long term deal, what will the Cowboys do? Franchise him again at approx 20m next season, then Dlaw will have another 10+ sack season in 2019 then go to another team and sign a big long term deal and we will have wound up paying him 37m for 2 years (2018-2019) and end up with a 4th round comp pick out of the whole deal...sounds like a typical front office move

waving monkey

Reaction score
Technically they want to trade for a chance at TWO young pass rushers....

2 first round picks in the top 15 next two years would give us a big time safety net in case dak flames out....

I love dlaw but in reality he has had 1 food season and cost a 2nd and a 3rd....if you could flip him for 2 top 15 firsts it's a no brainer even if he plays at the same level for the next few years.
we've got pass rushers? We have a reall pass rusher in DLaw that we spent 4 years developing now the suggestion is trade him away so we can start developing some pass rushers?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
A few things I would have to consider:

1. Do I think the Cowboys will be serious contenders this year?
2. Would adding ET improve those odds?
3. Will the team add ET?
4. Am I willing to pay DLaw $20 million per season next year?

If I am not going to commit to DLaw (which the team wasn’t willing to do) and I don’t think the team has a great shot at making a run (or making a move to give them a better shot) then trade DLaw. It’s getting value back instead of letting yet another player walk away with nothing to show for it in return.

This team is definitely NOT one player away. And you cant run your franchise like that anyway. It always has to be about the future. Getting two first rounders would go a long way towards solidifying that. And we could always go out and sign a DE in FA anyway if thats what we wanted. Take the two first rounders and worry about it later. Plus we do have a lot of young DE's on the team. Not that I like them, but they would get a shot.

Just think how you could improve this team with 18 million a year and two first round picks along with your own. Worth much more than Dlaw at 18 million per season.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
The Jets can stuff it. D-Law will get a long term deal with Dallas if he’s healthy and in the double-digit sack category again this season. No way he goes somewhere else.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I agree 100%. I think it would be dumb for any team to do. I'm not sure why more teams don't use the non exclusive franchise tag. You never know when you'll get a bite. Someone might be dumb enough.

I think they just want to see him have another monster year and then they will pay him. Heck, they can wait two more years. Franchise him again. If he produces around 14 sacks a year 3 years in a row, then sign him long term. HE is worth it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Raiders and Mack have even spoken to each other in months. Front offices that know what they are doing could pull this off.

And you are omitting Taco.

I’m not omitting Taco. I wasnt trying to say every pick is ideal, I was showing that we usually have very productive 1st round picks. The point is you can’t treat our first round pick as expendable because we don’t bat 1.000 with them. Nobody does. As for Taco, we don’t yet know about him. I doubt he will be a star player, but he may well at least be a solid contributor.

I wasn’t aware of the Mack situation. That could make a deal more possible. But paying him would still be an issue.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This team is definitely NOT one player away. And you cant run your franchise like that anyway. It always has to be about the future. Getting two first rounders would go a long way towards solidifying that. And we could always go out and sign a DE in FA anyway if thats what we wanted. Take the two first rounders and worry about it later. Plus we do have a lot of young DE's on the team. Not that I like them, but they would get a shot.

Just think how you could improve this team with 18 million a year and two first round picks along with your own. Worth much more than Dlaw at 18 million per season.

As good as DLaw was last year, nobody is going to give up 2 first rounders for a 4 year player with only one top season.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
Two first round picks would be a great value considering Tank has produced one season. It's a trade we would be crazy not to consider. Yes it wouldn't make us better this year, but considering you essientially have 4 first round picks in two years for what is already considered a good team. They would have 6 picks over the first two rounds which would allow them to address nearly any hole. Think new de, s, wr, or any other position they would want to address. Heck for those that don't support Dak they would even have enough capital to move up for a QB without crippling their future. Yes it's true there is no guarantee they pan out, but neither is Law continuing to be a 14/15 sack guy over the next 4 seasons either.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How can you say they have thrown away the picks? Dallas has been one of the best drafting teams in the 1st round for the past 5 to 6 years....Smith Fred zeke Jones Martin to name a few
Imagine four 1st round picks the next 2 years. With the Jets, 2 of those could be top 10 each year.

McClay and company could do some serious damage with those.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Two first round picks would be a great value considering Tank has produced one season. It's a trade we would be crazy not to consider. Yes it wouldn't make us better this year, but considering you essientially have 4 first round picks in two years for what is already considered a good team. They would have 6 picks over the first two rounds which would allow them to address nearly any hole. Think new de, s, wr, or any other position they would want to address. Heck for those that don't support Dak they would even have enough capital to move up for a QB without crippling their future. Yes it's true there is no guarantee they pan out, but neither is Law continuing to be a 14/15 sack guy over the next 4 seasons either.

How can we consider something that isnt available, nor is there any chance will be?

Imagine four 1st round picks the next 2 years. With the Jets, 2 of those could be top 10 each year.

McClay and company could do some serious damage with those.

Getting 2 1st rounders for DLaw is fantasy. Not even a remote chance it would be offered.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
How can we consider something that isnt available, nor is there any chance will be?

Getting 2 1st rounders for DLaw is fantasy. Not even a remote chance it would be offered.

Isn't that the whole point of this thread, a fantasy trade scenario? I was simply stating an opinion for those that have no interest in trading dlaw. Why you have to go around killing everyone's dream trade scenerios, lol.

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
Taco Charlton last year??
We could have traded our #1 pick last year for Mack or Donald (both very dissatisfied then and now), but instead they selected Charlton.
Trade Taco and give up a 2nd next year (which the Boys throw away anyway) & get Mack or Donald.
Then trade a 3rd rounder for Thomas.
Then the Haley / Adderly/Deion piece is solved and we have the beast/best Defense in the NFL.

Haley shut down the front half of the field & Deion/Adderly shut down the back half.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
This is interesting coz most fans don't think he deserves a long-term deal as of TODAY but yet you're saying he's worth more than TWO first rounders.

Side note.....They're probably not interested but I'd consider Taco. It appears he's a bit lost in numbers here. Can't break the starting line-up even going into his 3rd year.
Taco Charlton is going into a third year? Better check again

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Why would you want to trade arguably your best player? You draft and try to build a championship team with these types of players, only to trade them away? It makes absolutely no sense, it only keeps creating another hole to fill that you already filled...:facepalm: