Jetswire: Jets should call Cowboys about trade for DLaw

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Madden games have ruined rational thinking in fans in regards to trades and roster moves. We finally get a DE with signs of dominance and people want to immediately trade him. Foolishness. You give him half the season to see what he does. If he continues to look dominant, you pay him and secure him long term.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now that Lawrence has proven to be worth the risk, no way Booger trades him. He's got the potential of Jaylon, Gregory and Lawrence all proving worth the risk he took with his 2nd rounder, one that he has caught so much criticism for and for all 3 of those picks specifically.

JustChip

Reaction score
Lol. Fans want to trade a young, proven pass rusher for a CHANCE at a young pass rusher.
A young, proven pass rusher with a past history of back issues, is only guaranteed to be here 1 year (although they could FT him again next year), and will demand (not him being demanding, but the cost of playing poker) a very large contract to sign him long-term.

Two 1sts from NY will most likely be a top 10 at worst this year and top 18 next year. Think about the players we could've drafted with those picks in addition to our own (Solomon Thomas?; Vita Vea?, Mikha Fitzpatrick?, Derwin James?) , not to mention the trade capital if needed.

It's really not cut and dried either way. Timing is everything, and it's certainly better to move an asset nearer the peak of value than the trough (a/k/a "the Patriot way"). I can't imagine NY would give 2 firsts, but if they called, I'd listen and think very long and hard.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The Patriots have stayed good because they have Tom Brady behind center and Billy B. pacing the sideline.

I’m thinking without them the way they churn their roster wouldn’t work quite so well.

As for Lawrence he needs to be re-signed if he performs like he did last year. You keep your homegrown star players.
Exactly. You trade him and then replace him with a couple of rookies and then you probably have to wait a couple of more years before they become great. It's a never-ending process.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
This would be dumb. We already let Hitchens walk, therefore weakening our LB core and having to spend a 1st round pick just to replace him. Forget about being salary cap champions and priding ourselves on all these "team friendly" deals. At some point you have to pay players who make a difference and can perform. Trading D-Law now would weaken our Dline and pass rush big time. We have no idea how draft picks will pan out. We know D-Law can play. I'll take that over the unknown. The time to win is now.

JustChip

Reaction score
Now that Lawrence has proven to be worth the risk, no way Booger trades him. He's got the potential of Jaylon, Gregory and Lawrence all proving worth the risk he took with his 2nd rounder, one that he has caught so much criticism for and for all 3 of those picks specifically.
He can gloat either way. If NY does give up 2 firsts, he can say I bought this penny stock and sold it for $100 (ala Steve Walsh, except in that case, Walsh was a $1 stock).

texbumthelife

Reaction score
A young, proven pass rusher with a past history of back issues, is only guaranteed to be here 1 year (although they could FT him again next year), and will demand (not him being demanding, but the cost of playing poker) a very large contract to sign him long-term.

Two 1sts from NY will most likely be a top 10 at worst this year and top 18 next year. Think about the players we could've drafted with those picks in addition to our own (Solomon Thomas?; Vita Vea?, Mikha Fitzpatrick?, Derwin James?) , not to mention the trade capital if needed.

It's really not cut and dried either way. Timing is everything, and it's certainly better to move an asset nearer the peak of value than the trough (a/k/a "the Patriot way"). I can't imagine NY would give 2 firsts, but if they called, I'd listen and think very long and hard.

Name the players the Patriots traded at the "peak of their value". The Patriots trade players who no longer fit on their team, generally for personal issues. They don't trade tremendous, dominant young talent with good attitudes, just to trade them. Lawrence will be here as long as the team wants him to be. He accepted his franchise tag and immediately said he wants to be here long term. He's not a flight risk. As for his back, that's manageable.

Two first is tempting solely because of the "grass is greener" mentality so many people have. If they trade Lawrence, they would essentially be saying the rebuild is 2-3 years further away than most of us believe. This team should be buying right now, not selling. We've amassed a lot of talent on defense. If the Cowboys trade, it should be to ADD another dominant pass rusher, not subtract one.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
A few things I would have to consider:

1. Do I think the Cowboys will be serious contenders this year?
2. Would adding ET improve those odds?
3. Will the team add ET?
4. Am I willing to pay DLaw $20 million per season next year?

If I am not going to commit to DLaw (which the team wasn’t willing to do) and I don’t think the team has a great shot at making a run (or making a move to give them a better shot) then trade DLaw. It’s getting value back instead of letting yet another player walk away with nothing to show for it in return.
I'd throw in Garrett. lol
Nah I want to keep JG. He has us on the right path and was able to recruit Kris to join us which could be big with our young secondary.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Do people really think we can't afford to give Lawrence market value next year to keep him around? This team can legitimately sign anyone they want. If Lawrence keeps showing up by week 8, I am on the horn with his agent giving him his asking price.

JustChip

Reaction score
Name the players the Patriots traded at the "peak of their value". The Patriots trade players who no longer fit on their team, generally for personal issues. They don't trade tremendous, dominant young talent with good attitudes, just to trade them. Lawrence will be here as long as the team wants him to be. He accepted his franchise tag and immediately said he wants to be here long term. He's not a flight risk. As for his back, that's manageable.

Two first is tempting solely because of the "grass is greener" mentality so many people have. If they trade Lawrence, they would essentially be saying the rebuild is 2-3 years further away than most of us believe. This team should be buying right now, not selling. We've amassed a lot of talent on defense. If the Cowboys trade, it should be to ADD another dominant pass rusher, not subtract one.

Well, Wolfolk and Collins are 2 that come to mind. Wolfolk wasn't young, but there was much disbelief that they moved on from him.

You're correct about at some point you have to pay your draftees, you can't simply trade them away or let them walk. They've shown they're willing to do that with the OLine. But you also have to be looking at the future and how to maintain a level of play, not to mention improve. The mindset that it's unthinkable to trade D Law is the mindset that would've prevented trading #34 to Minnesota.

I can't speak for everyone that is in support of it, only myself, and for me it's worth seriously considering, but not a no-brainer either way. It is likely the team would be incrementally worse this year, but it should also be clear enough that 2 non-playoff picks in the first round the next 2 years would make the team better for the next 4-5 years. The conundrum is balancing this year vs. the future.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
LOL... Get though two 1st round picks from the Jets, then trade LA Rams a 3rd pick for Aaron Donald. I would want a 2nd and 3rd for Chad

IF and a strong IF, the FO has any sense that they unlikely sign DLaw to a long-term deal, this is worth considering if the Jets offered two 1st round picks. A strong crop of DLs projected in 2019 draft......

Mike Maccagnan: Jets exploring avenues to improve their pass rush

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2018/...sh/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_ca

macc4.jpg

By: Tyler Greenawalt | August 9, 2018 7:40 am ET

The Jets are in the market for a pass rusher.

Mike Maccagnan said so on ESPN Radio’s Humpty & Canty on Wednesday, making it clear that obtaining an edge or outside linebacker is on his mind.

“There’s trade opportunities that kind of pop themselves up,” the general manager said. “We’re looking at any opportunity to kind of make ourselves better. And that’s a position that we’re focused on.”

So, who could the Jets target?

The first name to jump to mind is the Oakland Raiders’ Khalil Mack, who already has 40.5 sacks in his short NFL career.

JustChip

Reaction score
Do people really think we can't afford to give Lawrence market value next year to keep him around? This team can legitimately sign anyone they want. If Lawrence keeps showing up by week 8, I am on the horn with his agent giving him his asking price.
I think it's clear they can do it if they want, but is that the best use of that money? It's the decision businesses have to make constantly - what is the best and most effective way to deploy capital.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Well, Wolfolk and Collins are 2 that come to mind. Wolfolk wasn't young, but there was much disbelief that they moved on from him.

You're correct about at some point you have to pay your draftees, you can't simply trade them away or let them walk. They've shown they're willing to do that with the OLine. But you also have to be looking at the future and how to maintain a level of play, not to mention improve. The mindset that it's unthinkable to trade D Law is the mindset that would've prevented trading #34 to Minnesota.

I can't speak for everyone that is in support of it, only myself, and for me it's worth seriously considering, but not a no-brainer either way. It is likely the team would be incrementally worse this year, but it should also be clear enough that 2 non-playoff picks in the first round the next 2 years would make the team better for the next 4-5 years. The conundrum is balancing this year vs. the future.

The Patriots traded Wilfork? I thought that just declined his option.

As for Collins, they traded him for a third round, compensatory pick. Yeah, not exactly selling high.

The Patriots are actually famous for bringing in people that schematically fit perfectly, adding a last piece to the puzzle, to put them over the top. They're not infallible though. Randall Cobb is a good example of when even they overreach. If we wanted to follow the Patriots blueprint, we would PAY Lawrence, like the Pats did with so many of their great defenders, and we would go out and add a player or two to put this D over the top.

I get the draw of two first round picks, but not when it costs you the best defender, if not the best player on your team. Lawrence is a building block to me, not a trade chip. If they try to resign him mid-season and offer a legit contract and he balks, THEN maybe you see what the market is. Right now, I think this D is on the verge of being great and that's largely because of Lawrence, not in spite of him. I'd sooner entertain sending two picks to the Rams for Donald than trading Lawrence for two picks.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I think it's clear they can do it if they want, but is that the best use of that money? It's the decision businesses have to make constantly - what is the best and most effective way to deploy capital.

Is it the best use of their money to re-sign their best defender and one of the best pass rushers in the league? Is that really a question they, let alone we should be asking? You don't build great teams by letting dominant players walk. We should be looking to turn the corner, not continue to stand on it.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
8 years later but oh well...lol
Yea when you scrap the entire OL in JG's first season and you have a franchise QB then it's pretty much a given that you have to put things together there first. Which we did and the Rod hire was genius as we have improved every season and got to top 10 last season. Not to mention SJ taking over and getting rid of the JJ bad contracts was a big help. Reality will always out weigh perception.

JustChip

Reaction score
The Patriots traded Wilfork? I thought that just declined his option.

As for Collins, they traded him for a third round, compensatory pick. Yeah, not exactly selling high.

The Patriots are actually famous for bringing in people that schematically fit perfectly, adding a last piece to the puzzle, to put them over the top. They're not infallible though. Randall Cobb is a good example of when even they overreach. If we wanted to follow the Patriots blueprint, we would PAY Lawrence, like the Pats did with so many of their great defenders, and we would go out and add a player or two to put this D over the top.

I get the draw of two first round picks, but not when it costs you the best defender, if not the best player on your team. Lawrence is a building block to me, not a trade chip. If they try to resign him mid-season and offer a legit contract and he balks, THEN maybe you see what the market is. Right now, I think this D is on the verge of being great and that's largely because of Lawrence, not in spite of him. I'd sooner entertain sending two picks to the Rams for Donald than trading Lawrence for two picks.
Fair enough points. And, yes, they declined Wilfolk's option letting him walk (hence, why I said "decided to move on"). I didn't remember it was a 3rd comp for Collins, I was thinking it was a 2, but you're right on that. I think the central point though is being willing to move on a little too early than a lot to late.

The ideal scenario is D Law stays here this year and follows up last year with another year equal or better than last year. It would further enhance his trade value, but also provide more comfort in signing him long-term. But there's no guarantee a best-case scenario comes to fruition. The worst-case scenario can come true just as well (e.g., a career threatening injury). There's no way to predict that and that's true for every player. The only way to mitigate the risk is to spread that risk over several players. We all buy insurance not because we expect something to happen, but to protect ourselves IF something happens.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Fair enough points. And, yes, they declined Wilfolk's option letting him walk (hence, why I said "decided to move on"). I didn't remember it was a 3rd comp for Collins, I was thinking it was a 2, but you're right on that. I think the central point though is being willing to move on a little too early than a lot to late.

The ideal scenario is D Law stays here this year and follows up last year with another year equal or better than last year. It would further enhance his trade value, but also provide more comfort in signing him long-term. But there's no guarantee a best-case scenario comes to fruition. The worst-case scenario can come true just as well (e.g., a career threatening injury). There's no way to predict that and that's true for every player. The only way to mitigate the risk is to spread that risk over several players. We all buy insurance not because we expect something to happen, but to protect ourselves IF something happens.

That's not "mitigating risk," that's taking a pessimistic view point and allowing it to effect your personnel decisions. Say Lawrence goes out and has 12 sacks this year and misses one game due to his back--is trading a proven player with some injury concerns for two completely unknown commodities, mitigating any risk? Absolutely not. It's playing the lottery with your roster.

By your rationale, we should have traded Dak and Zeke before last season. Tyron should be long gone. Romo who? Aikman should have never gotten rings here. Emmitt should have gotten the all-time rushing record somewhere else... You see where I am going. You pay for performance. Period. If you run your team solely based on "ifs" then you're not winning ****. You're always going to be rebuilding and hedging your hopes on unknowns. How many drafts did it take us to find a true pass rusher after Ware? You want to play the lottery with that again? No thanks.

And no, we all buy insurance because it's against the law not to.