Jim Brown was nearly unbeatable against the Cowboys

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
It's been over a week since legendary RB Jim Brown passed away (his funeral is still pending), but sports writer Richard Paolinelli wrote this nice and historically informative piece about Jim Brown and his 11 career games against the Dallas Cowboys. Several nice pictures included in this article. Hope everyone enjoys this piece of history...

By Richard Paolinelli- May 29, 2023

https://insidethestar.com/jim-brown-was-nearly-unbeatable-against-the-cowboys/

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's been over a week since legendary RB Jim Brown passed away (his funeral is still pending), but sports writer Richard Paolinelli wrote this nice and historically informative piece about Jim Brown and his 11 career games against the Dallas Cowboys. Several nice pictures included in this article. Hope everyone enjoys this piece of history...

Good stuff and thanks for posting this. What a freaking beast he was. His impact on and off the field was heavy.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

My wife got me a Jim Brown autographed football about 3 years ago at a charity auction. I have it next to my Emmitt footbal. My Dorsett ball is very faded, unfortunately.

Motorola

Reaction score

One of the many, many film highlights of Brown is a play showing him running past, through, and around the Cowboys defense. It seemed as if every one of the 11 players had a least one chance to tackle him...some even twice!

RS12

Reaction score
To be fair, according to Bob Lilly, the team didn't turn the corner to being competitive until about mid way in the 1965 season. The 1965 season was Jim Brown final season. Lilly talks about this during Tom Landry eulogy which you can find on YouTube. A loss to the Stealers in the 1965 season was the turning point for the Cowboys franchise.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I can remember an upcoming game against the Browns when Jim Brown played. That was perhaps the first time I dreaded for the Cowboys to play an opponent. Brown was a force of nature back then.

I also recall when he retired, I had a sigh of relief for the team not having to face him again.

Motorola

Reaction score
To be fair, according to Bob Lilly, the team didn't turn the corner to being competitive until about mid way in the 1965 season. The 1965 season was Jim Brown final season. Lilly talks about this during Tom Landry eulogy which you can find on YouTube. A loss to the Stealers in the 1965 season was the turning point for the Cowboys franchise.
Dallas started out 2-5, then finished 5-2. First season (sixth overall) that team had a non-losing record.
Back then, the NFL had a post-regular season game between the 2nd place teams in the conference - the "Runner-Up Bowl"\ "Playoff Bowl". It was always held at the Orange Bowl in Miami.
Following the 1965 regular season, Western Conference Baltimore played Eastern Conference Dallas for Third Place in January 1966.
Five years later - those NFL conference runner-ups would play in that same stadium for the NFL title - Super Bowl V.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
A dominant franchise beating up on an expansion team that didn't even get a draft in it's expansion year?

R.2bb0d7bc876c84bc203d5ef6424a5608

Chuck 54

Reaction score

Sadly, after he left, Leroy Kelly ate our lunch too.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Perhaps the TD football can be restored in some way that enhances the signature?
That would be nice. A close friend of mine that played in the NFL had TD sign a SB football from the 90s for me. My friend was using the ball and it had sweat on it....I guess that's why the ink didn't stick well.

Motorola

Reaction score
Sadly, after he left, Leroy Kelly ate our lunch too.
I remember him. He was a do-it-all football player.
Ran inside; as shifty as they come, but also broke tackles.
Had a burst to the outside so he could turn the corner.
In a 10-season NFL career, Kelly averaged nearly 20 CATCHES - for 12 YARDS PER RECEPTION.
Returned punts, over 10 YARD average - and kickoffs, over 23 YARD average.

Pro Football Hall Of Fame Member.

Leroy Kelly is ovelooked because:
1) He followed his teammate - who is revered in football and beyond
2) When he left the NFL, a number of young great running backs emerged (all to become HOFs too) ...but they were collegiate stars with elite football programs, followed up by playing on, and becoming stars for NFL championship teams and contenders.
OJ - USC, Bills
Dorsett - Pitt, Cowboys
Franco - Penn State, Steelers
Dickerson - SMU, Rams
Payton - Bears (but he attended an HBCU - Jackson State College, as did Kelly - Morgan State College)

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
In a 10-season NFL career, Kelly averaged nearly 20 CATCHES - for 12 YARDS PER RECEPTION.
Leroy Kelly is ovelooked because
2) When he left the NFL, a number of young great running backs emerged (all to become HOFs too) ...but they were collegiate stars with elite football programs, followed up by playing on, and becoming stars for NFL championship teams and contenders.
OJ - USC, Bills
Dorsett - Pitt, Cowboys
Dickerson - SMU, Rams
Some of the best RBs in NFL history named up above! ^^^^

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Definitely ahead of his time with size, speed, and agility for an RB. During the time he was as big as defensive linemen, just as strong but faster. Tough combo to tackle and definitely the most dominant back of any era.

Does that make him the greatest? I think it's a debate that will never be fully settled and if it's OK if it's not.

Motorola

Reaction score
Only 2 players non cowboys, do I have there Jerseys, JB & Gale Sayers and don’t have a lot of them hanging in my office.
Gayle Sayers - "The Kansas Comet".
A player who in just 64 games (discard his last two seasons --'70, '71, when he played just 2 games each) rewrote the NFL record book while playing for a team, that besides his HOF counterpart Dick Butkus on defense --- was for the most part a collection of players of sem-pro ability.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score

Leroy Kelly is ovelooked because:
OJ - USC, Bills
Dorsett - Pitt, Cowboys
Dickerson - SMU, Rams
Payton - Bears (but he attended an HBCU - Jackson State College, as did Kelly - Morgan State College)

L. Kelly was a beast and great himself.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
Gayle Sayers - "The Kansas Comet".
A player who in just 64 games (discard his last two seasons --'70, '71, when he played just 2 games each) rewrote the NFL record book while playing for a team, that besides his HOF counterpart Dick Butkus on defense --- was for the most part a collection of players of sem-pro ability.

Love GS.

Motorola

Reaction score
I did too.....among many football fans - college and pro - across the iand back then.
My parents had a subscription to 'Ebony Magazine'.
One year, the publication featured an ad about Carnation Milk (a staple in my mother's kitchen cabinet).
One half was a photo of Sayers as a baby less than a year old.
Underneath was the caption 'Gayle Sayers was a Carnation Baby..'
Then, to the immediate right was a photo him wearing that Chicago Bears #40 - knifing through an an opponent team on his way to scoring a (return/rushing) TD.
The caption underneath that photograph was -
'And baby - look at him now!'

Last edited:

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
I did too.....among many football fans - college and pro - across the iand back then.
My parents had a subscription to 'Ebony Magazine'.
One year, the publication featured an ad about Carnation Milk (a staple in my mother's kitchen cabinet).
One half was a photo of Sayers as a baby less than a year old.
Underneath was the caption 'Gayle Sayers waz a Carnation Baby..'
Then, to the immediate right was a photo him wearing that Chicago Bears #40 - knifing through an an opponent team on his way to scoring a (return/rushing) TD.
The caption underneath that photograph was -
'And baby - look at him now!'

Lol, those were the biggest magazines ever. I will go back on YouTube and watch his speech he gave on excepting the award that would be given to Brian Picolo. Even though it is from Billy D. Williams movie.