Audio: JJT whispers from the Star 1/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Jaylon Smith is one of the most useless and overrated players to ever come through here.

We've already seen his best. He's Damien Wilson lite.

Teams scheme every week to find him on the field and exploit him for four quarters. He's easy pickings.
But i thought he was a transcendant top 5 talent that we were darn lucky to spend the 34th pick on so we could have him around for a few years to see if he could ever run again much less play football. I seem to remember more than a few people making that argument ....

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
LOL at the people in this thread pretending JJT breaks anything useful ever.

Jaylon's brand focus is annoying but it was also crafted outside his brain. It was part of his Cowboys negotiations and involved his agent that saw him take a discounted rate and sign when he did. His brand went up on DC.com immediately after.

Jaylon is the leader of the defense. What celebration exactly was he supposed to skip?
Richard's calls all year were absolutely trash. Jaylon overriding once to give up a big play is hardly a surprise.
Bloom going nuts all year is the best news I've ever heard.
Some bozo has your 245 pound blitzing MLB playing coverage every play on the goal line, I'd be freaking out too.

When you lose its a darned if you do, darned if you don't.
Celebrating while down looks goofy, but not celebrating looks like you quit.

Via PFF Jaylon Smith recorded a position-high 27.8% pass-rush win percentage and the second-best pass-rush grade (84.8) among linebackers in 2018.
To answer that in 2019 they stopped rushing him and asked him to regularly cover dudes 20-40 pounds lighter than him. LOL.

snapper

Reaction score

Jaylon's brand focus is annoying but it was also crafted outside his brain. It was part of his Cowboys negotiations and involved his agent that saw him take a discounted rate and sign when he did. His brand went up on DC.com immediately after.

Jaylon is the leader of the defense. What celebration exactly was he supposed to skip?
Richard's calls all year were absolutely trash. Jaylon overriding once to give up a big play is hardly a surprise.
Some bozo has your 245 pound blitzing MLB playing coverage every play on the goal line, I'd be freaking out too.

Via PFF Jaylon Smith recorded a position-high 27.8% pass-rush win percentage and the second-best pass-rush grade (84.8) among linebackers in 2018.
To answer that in 2019 they stopped rushing him and asked him to regularly cover dudes 20-40 pounds lighter than him. LOL.

All this hate on Smith reminds me of how fans turned on Ken Norton Jr. before Jimmy's staff got a hold of him and turned him into a top Mike LB. He was considered by many a disappointment. Turns out he was just used incorrectly. Perhaps Nolan will make better use of his assets.

Loso86

Reaction score
They cant possibly get mad at Jaylon for helping to cheer on his teammates right..

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
All this hate on Smith reminds me of how fans turned on Ken Norton Jr. before Jimmy's staff got a hold of him and turned him into a top Mike LB. He was considered by many a disappointment. Turns out he was just used incorrectly. Perhaps Nolan will make better use of his assets.
Jaylon and LVE didn't go from the best young LB duo in football to straight up trash over an off-season.
The Cowboys system saw offenses force those LBs into tough spots and never did anything to react to it.
There is a reason the defensive staff have not been retained.

Jaylon and DLaw were flat out abused by fans all year. Your best defenders and guys who contributed much.
DLaw has a weak sack total but great pass rush pressure number and again was elite versus the run.
Jaylon played the 2nd most snaps of any Cowboys defender, called the defenses and had 142 tackles which basically doubled Sean Lee who was 2nd.

Reactions: CWR

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Oh no, they’re asking a linebacker to cover running backs that are 20-40 lbs lighter than him???

Guess what?

That’s what every good linebacker in the league has to do.

You know what other duties linebackers have? Taking on offensive linemen and blowing up running lanes to allow their teammates to make the tackle.

He doesn’t do that.

CWR

Reaction score

Yeah I dont believe Jaylon or LVE are as bad as they looked this season. They were was too good the year prior. Put them in the right scheme with some no nonsense coaches and I think we will once again feel good about our LBs. A lot of Jaylons hate is the annoyance of his self promoting ways while the team struggled this season.

Pokeness

Reaction score
But i thought he was a transcendant top 5 talent that we were darn lucky to spend the 34th pick on so we could have him around for a few years to see if he could ever run again much less play football. I seem to remember more than a few people making that argument ....
He's certainly physically capable of that, but as Charles Haley once said, 90% of football is mental.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
He's certainly physically capable of that, but as Charles Haley once said, 90% of football is mental.
When I watch him move I'm not sure what he is physically capable of. Some weird movements.

Charles is right. He definitely does not seem to have a good mental grasp and\or instincts. Bottom line, i can't see how anyone can really say he has lived up to his draft status or that they are super confident he will in the future.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
:lmao:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
It's not like LVE was lighting it up when he was healthy this year either. He was pretty brutal himself.

Our LB play pretty much across the board sucked in 2019.
No question LVE played like crap because he was playing out of position....fix this Nolan.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
JJT is the most worthless reporter in Dallas. He has to look way up to see Mickey Spagnola.
Why is that. I’m curious. Is he bad or reports erroneous things. I’m not well versed on reporters and their reputations

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Along with our corners!
:banghead:

I'll admit to being wrong about Richard. I thought he was the answer to fixing the defense and it never happened. The whole 'two coordinators' thing was a mess, answers I don't think anyone's shock plummeted as fast as Richard's did. He cut his own throats going along with that dysfunctional dynamic and I think it hurt him more than it helped him.

I'm still wondering who they'd bring in to be the actual linebackers coach? Are they waiting on Haslett? Winston Moss?
Rumor on Twitter is Haslett as LB coach.

I believe Haslett was one of the dudes meeting at McCarthy's house to watch game tape, so Big Mike might be doing a buddy a solid.

visionary

Reaction score
Oh no, they’re asking a linebacker to cover running backs that are 20-40 lbs lighter than him???

Guess what?

That’s what every good linebacker in the league has to do.

You know what other duties linebackers have? Taking on offensive linemen and blowing up running lanes to allow their teammates to make the tackle.

He doesn’t do that.

well, to be fair, he does make up for it by celebrating a tackle when down by 20+ points and when he injures another player and by tweeting a “clear eye view”

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Jaylon Smith is one of the most useless and overrated players to ever come through here.

We've already seen his best. He's Damien Wilson lite.

Teams scheme every week to find him on the field and exploit him for four quarters. He's easy pickings.
At this point, Anthony Hitchens was better.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Watch Jaylon come out next season, ball out, and all of you will be back on his jock.. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.