JJT: Whispers From the Star - 2/21/2020

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Again, I know this board is pretty split on JJT, but today's segment was pretty interesting. Recap below for those interested:

1. JJT mentioned that he asked around about Dez's workout with Mahomes today and asked once more if there was a slight possibility of Dez wearing the Star again. Said the text that he received from a team source was nothing but 'laughing' emojis. Take it or leave it.

2. Went off on a tangent about the defense. The FO believes that everyone played decent, but there just weren't enough plays made on the defensive side of the ball. JJT mentioned a bizarre statistic about the Cowboys defense which is that they've forced more fumbles than had interceptions in every season since 2013, which is unusual. Thinks people are hard on Chido, but he believes he's truly a good corner that just needs to...yes, you guessed it - make more plays. Says this defense could be elite if they made the plays in front of them.

3. The FO hasn't reportedly spoken to Dak's camp in over four months, which is unusual since the Joneses are supposedly "bullish" on getting this deal done. JJT mentioned that he spoke with Todd Archer about what went down when the deal was "close", and the consensus is that Dak's team upped his price after the 3-0 start. Instead of working quickly to resolve, the Joneses decided to get mad and pout instead, which really aggravated this already aggravating impasse. Dak WILL get paid though.

4. Witten won't be a Cowboy in 2020, regardless of how optimistic he is in the media. There are no reported soft landing spots for him, especially if he stubbornly refuses to take a smaller role on a team.

5. There have, thankfully, been discussions ongoing about Robert Quinn's return. Says that Quinn loves playing opposite to Demarcus Lawrence, because he warrants more attention from OL's.

https://www.kesn1033.com/2020/02/21/jam-whispers-from-the-star-offseason-pt-8/

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again, I know this board is pretty split on JJT, but today's segment was pretty interesting. Recap below for those interested:

1. JJT mentioned that he asked around about Dez's workout with Mahomes today and asked once more if there was a slight possibility of Dez wearing the Star again. Said the text that he received from a team source was nothing but 'laughing' emojis. Take it or leave it.

2. Went off on a tangent about the defense. The FO believes that everyone played decent, but there just weren't enough plays made on the defensive side of the ball. JJT mentioned a bizarre statistic about the Cowboys defense which is that they've forced more fumbles than had interceptions in every season since 2013, which is unusual. Thinks people are hard on Chido, but he believes he's truly a good corner that just needs to...yes, you guessed it - make more plays. Says this defense could be elite if they made the plays in front of them.

3. The FO hasn't reportedly spoken to Dak's camp in over four months, which is unusual since the Joneses are supposedly "bullish" on getting this deal done. JJT mentioned that he spoke with Todd Archer about what went down when the deal was "close", and the consensus is that Dak's team upped his price after the 3-0 start. Instead of working quickly to resolve, the Joneses decided to get mad and pout instead, which really aggravated this already aggravating impasse.

4. Witten won't be a Cowboy in 2020, regardless of how optimistic he is in the media. There are no reported soft landing spots for him, especially if he stubbornly refuses to take a smaller role on a team.

5. There have, thankfully, been discussions ongoing about Robert Quinn's return. Says that Quinn loves playing opposite to Demarcus Lawrence, because he warrants more attention from OL's.

Much appreciation to you for taking the time and making the effort to transcribe and summarize this information for the rest of us.

:bow:

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Thanks for the weekly updates. Much appreciated. Don’t care who the source is. Good work bro! Interesting stuff on Dak. Makes me wonder if Stephen saying stuff to the media is their way of making Dak look like he’s the one causing issues vs actually getting it done. I liked Quinn so I’d take it for the right price

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Thanks for the weekly updates. Much appreciated. Don’t care who the source is. Interesting stuff on Dak. Makes me wonder if Stephen saying stuff to the media is their way of making Dak look like he’s the one causing issues vs actually getting it done. I liked Quinn so I’d take it for the right price
Yeah - it's been a bizarre negotiation. JJT more or less described it as foolish posturing.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

3. The FO hasn't reportedly spoken to Dak's camp in over four months, which is unusual since the Joneses are supposedly "bullish" on getting this deal done. JJT mentioned that he spoke with Todd Archer about what went down when the deal was "close", and the consensus is that Dak's team upped his price after the 3-0 start. Instead of working quickly to resolve, the Joneses decided to get mad and pout instead, which really aggravated this already aggravating impasse. Dak WILL get paid though.

1. If that's accurate, it sounds like unwarranted, undeserved arrogance from whoever sent it. Your team has disappointed and made bad decisions for years pal, you don't get to do 'smug'.
  2. Chido always seems to be 'in the area', but always seems to be that fraction of a step behind or too late.
  3. The Joneses mishandle negotiations? Say it ain't so!
  4. That sounds pretty definitive. And it sounds like he'll have to humble himself to play in 2020 but it doesn;t sound like Witten is ready to do that.
  5. Quinn is #3 on my list of priorities after Dak and Amari. They have to keep him to field anything near a competent defensive line.

Sydla

Reaction score
I really find it hard to believe we haven't had contact with Dak's people in four months.

I also definitely think some blame lies with the Jones boys but if the Prescott camp upped the demands after a 3-0 start when both parties were close, that's a ****** move and I don't really mind the Jones' hitting the pause button here.

You can never really tell what goes on in matters like this, but often times, but it seems that the biggest impasse to any of this stuff has largely come from the Prescott camp, not the other way around.

And as people can attest, I am far from a Jones family apologist. But I just get the impression that Dak's camp has been pretty tough to deal with.

starfan1

Reaction score

I think the main problem besides not being able to catch was the technique Richard was teaching now perhaps more zone scheme would benefit the cowboys I'm not sure but to me there was a regression. Not only from Chido but all of them. Good QBs eat them up

John813

Reaction score
Cool to see Quinn open to staying. Probably won't get a "honest offer" deal but maybe his agent won't be a hard *** in getting a new deal set up.

Would be surprised about #3. Well, not the part about the price going up.
If so, FT seems likely.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
  1. If that's accurate, it sounds like unwarranted, undeserved arrogance from whoever sent it. Your team has disappointed and made bad decisions for years pal, you don't get to do 'smug'.
  2. Chido always seems to be 'in the area', but always seems to be that fraction of a step behind or too late.
  3. The Joneses mishandle negotiations? Say it ain't so!
  4. That sounds pretty definitive. And it sounds like he'll have to humble himself to play in 2020 but it doesn;t sound like Witten is ready to do that.
  5. Quinn is #3 on my list of priorities after Dak and Amari. They have to keep him to field anything near a competent defensive line.
Hope 4 and 5 pan out. Witten needs to retire if he cant take a back seat. Hope Quinn works a deal for his return. I'll take Dez but no babysitters and 1 strike rule on his behavior on and off the field. 1 and 3 JJ and nepotistic FO are so frikin out of touch with how to run a competitive organization, it's sick He's a pitiful excuse for a "GM".
Agree on Chido but he's a microcosm or a bigger issue on the defense which is lack of talent in other positions and under coached.

Kaiser

Reaction score
the consensus is that Dak's team upped his price after the 3-0 start. Instead of working quickly to resolve, the Joneses decided to get mad and pout instead, which really aggravated this already aggravating impasse.

This is so comical. Dak's agent apparently asked for the moon and Stephen giggled and then said no. JJT calls this pouting because he is more likely to get a future scoop from the agent than Stephen.

quickccc

Reaction score
I really find it hard to believe we haven't had contact with Dak's people in four months.

I also definitely think some blame lies with the Jones boys but if the Prescott camp upped the demands after a 3-0 start when both parties were close, that's a ****** move and I don't really mind the Jones' hitting the pause button here.

You can never really tell what goes on in matters like this, but often times, but it seems that the biggest impasse to any of this stuff has largely come from the Prescott camp, not the other way around.

And as people can attest, I am far from a Jones family apologist. But I just get the impression that Dak's camp has been pretty tough to deal with.

the feeling I get from the Jones Negotiations - they don't feel urgency and press to "panic " themselves into a must hurry deal.
No pressing "deadline" to get it done at the time.

But now has whispers of the CBA new deal talk that could be less likely of a transition tag gonna totally change the dynamics of Dak and Cooper ?
Now with it being such an urgency, ..and deadline It's either gonna be:
- Plan A: a franchise tag with Dak, while the Cowboys get into a flat out bidding war for Cooper in FA. Even if it means making him the highest paid WR in NFL .!! (per Cooper's camp, imo..)
- or Plan B: Bite the pride bullet, and re-sign and make Dak among highest paid two QBs in the NFL, ...while you also either franchise tag Cooper (or make him highest paid WR)

If the new CBA is everything that is rumored to be, the Cowboys stubbornly lost the tag designation and leverage and deadline time they really thought they would have.
it simply becomes a new ball game that the Cowboys have to play up to.

Sydla

Reaction score
Quinn back at a decent contract would be great. He's not great against the run but he can get after the QB.

And we have DE issues if he is gone............ Bennett is also likely gone so you'd be left with Lawrence, Armstrong and some unproven young guys from the practice squad. They'd have to hit FA and/or the draft to fill out DE anyway.

817Gill

Reaction score
Hope 4 and 5 pan out. Witten needs to retire if he cant take a back seat. Hope Quinn works a deal for his return. I'll take Dez but no babysitters and 1 strike rule on his behavior on and off the field. 1 and 3 JJ and nepotistic FO are so frikin out of touch with how to run a competitive organization, it's sick He's a pitiful excuse for a "GM".
Agree on Chido but he's a microcosm or a bigger issue on the defense which is lack of talent in other positions and under coached.
This Defensive coaching staff will illustrate a lot about our personnel I feel

Sydla

Reaction score
the feeling I get from the Jones Negotiations - they don't feel urgency and press to "panic " themselves into a must hurry deal.
No pressing "deadline" to get it done at the time.

But now has whispers of the CBA new deal talk that could be less likely of a transition tag gonna totally change the dynamics of Dak and Cooper ?
Now with it being such an urgency, ..and deadline It's either gonna be:
- Plan A: a franchise tag with Dak, while the Cowboys get into a flat out bidding war for Cooper in FA. Even if it means making him the highest paid WR in NFL .!! (per Cooper's camp, imo..)
- or Plan B: Bite the pride bullet, and re-sign and make Dak among highest paid two QBs in the NFL, ...while you also either franchise tag Cooper (or make him highest paid WR)

If the new CBA is everything that is rumored to be, the Cowboys stubbornly lost the tag designation and leverage and deadline time they really thought they would have.
it simply becomes a new ball game that the Cowboys have to play up to.

Maybe but then again maybe the front office knows that they don't really need two tags as they are sure they can get, say Cooper, signed.