Recap: JJT Whispers From The Star 6/26

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Woods will be playing SS because of acquisition of Ha ha Clinton Dix, who can only play FS.

Both Clinton Dix and Woods are not good tacklers so get ready for an adventure in the middle of our secondary.

For what I gather, Nolan's scheme will employ two Free Safeties playing half of the field. The defense won't have the traditional FS/SS roles. Fully aware of their tackling issues, reason why Awuzie may see time as a nickel safety.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
For what I gather, Nolan's scheme will employ two Free Safeties playing half of the field. The defense won't have the traditional FS/SS roles. Fully aware of their tackling issues, reason why Awuzie may see time as a nickel safety.

Well one of them or both will have to play down in box on short yardage or goal line.

No matter the scheme, safeties still have to play in box and know how to tackle.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Well one of them or both will have to play down in box on short yardage or goal line.

No matter the scheme, safeties still have to play in box and know how to tackle.

Poor tackling safeties drive me crazy as they are the last line of defense and have a tendency to give up big plays. The defense is going to have to protect them somewhat or you will be seeing some changes happen.

Reactions: BAT

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I think you're half right here.

You don't have to play "down in the box"; plenty of teams can utilize a split safety or two hashes look. Cover 2, Cover 4, Mix coverage, or disguised looks.

However, one of those two Safeties is definitely going to have run fits/gap responsibility and yes, we should seriously be concerned about Xavier Woods in that role. One (or both) of the Safeties is also going to find themselves covering the bigger, physical elite Tight Ends in the league (Zach Ertz twice, George Kittle on the schedule this year). That's a huge mismatch as well.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Poor tackling safeties drive me crazy as they are the last line of defense and have a tendency to give up big plays. The defense is going to have to protect them somewhat or you will be seeing some changes happen.
You can't philosophically and literally go cheap at the position for 12 years and then expect to have quality players back there. The Cowboys have neglected the position and it shows. Every once in a while the FO realizes it and tries to make a big time acquisition (Earl Thomas twice, Jamal Adams), but then they go right back to pretending they can get by with 6th round picks and UDFA's. HaHa is a step in the right direction but he's not the player he was 4 years ago (2016 Pro Bowler and 2nd team All-Pro), which is why the Cowboys are his 4th team in less than 2 years.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I'd do Tyron and a #2 for Adams. He's on his last legs anyway.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You can't philosophically and literally go cheap at the position for 12 years and then expect to have quality players back there. The Cowboys have neglected the position and it shows. Every once in a while the FO realizes it and tries to make a big time acquisition (Earl Thomas twice, Jamal Adams), but then they go right back to pretending they can get by with 6th round picks and UDFA's. HaHa is a step in the right direction but he's not the player he was 4 years ago (2016 Pro Bowler and 2nd team All-Pro), which is why the Cowboys are his 4th team in less than 2 years.

I agree, the safety and 1 Technique positions haven't been properly addressed for many years, that has to change.

Reactions: BAT

plasticman

Reaction score
Now that Pollard has a year under his belt, I think he is going to demonstrate that the Cowboys have potentially two quality RB's capable of, not only starting, but being highly productive.

The question will eventually become, what do you do with two guys with the potential of dominating a game? Zeke doesn't have any durability issues and you kind of want to get your money's worth out of him. I don't mean run him into the ground......well......I mean for what he is being paid, you can only justify it if he is out on the field about the same amount as last season. Between Dak and Pollard, they had 387 carries with 301 being Zeke, 77.8%.

However, that means Pollard averages the same 5 carries a game that he got last season. That seems like a waste. And you can't implement a 70's offense, make Dak the FB keep both in the backfield. Then the Cowboys are under utilizing an excellent WR squad.

Isn't it great to have "problems" like these?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yo! Didn’t see one for yesterday so thought I’d go ahead and do it as news is slow anyways. Here we go:

1. We’ve talked a lot about getting Jamal Adams, but what’s the actual cost? JJT sourced Tony Pauline as saying a 1st and La’el Collins was the Jets asking price. This is a non-starter for the team as Collins is on a very reasonable deal and he’s becoming one of the best RT’s in the league. His cap hit the next 2 years; about 4M. No way we trade him or that contract. Collins is one of the leagues best bargains of non-rookie deal QB’s. Also JJ’s ego. He feels he played major a part in a fantastic deal, no way he lets that go. Last reason, the Cowboys will not trade an offensive lineman for a S. Simple as that.

2. Tony Pauline sourced Jadaveon Clowney as having the Cowboys and Saints as his first two options. JJT says the Cowboys are willing to have him at 7-9M, Clowney has rumored to want up to 20M. Unless he cuts his demand in half, no way the team signs him. Injury history, sack production, and consistency listed as the main reasons the Cowboys and the rest of the league have balked at paying him anywhere near what he’s been asking for.

3. This whole segment is about the virus so I’ll tread lightly. Basically the rate of change on information with the virus is so fast that the 65-70 hour weeks go on with a lot of uncertainty. The FO is frustrated, not angry, but just working though the ambiguity.

4. File this away for next week JJT said. He asked team sources, “Give me a couple guys to watch next year”. They gave him 3 guys to look at in camp and going into the season.

-Chris Westry (a personal favorite): Unique and long athlete (6’4 running a 4.3 at CB). Hasn’t got a chance to play too much and is raw though.

-Tony Pollard: ‘Nuff Said

-JJT said this one knowing how some fans would react and said “take it for what’s it’s worth”, but Xavier Woods, who he seemed excited about. Personally, I think all he needs to do is turn those 2-3 missed plays into converted plays and we look at him a lot different. Always been solid PFF wise and is widely seen as an average league starter, but with a coaching change and better front 7 play I think he could take a step.

That’s it for this week everyone! Full link here btw:

https://www.kesn1033.com/2020/06/26...-adams-trade-clowney-news-3-players-to-watch/

Westry is interesting. He looked better in camp than I expected because he looked raw in college.

Cebrin

Reaction score
A lot of wait, and see for the team as a whole as far as I'm concerned. When you do an entire rebuild of your coaching staff it makes evaluating low to mid tier players difficult. Was it bad coaching? Was it poor scheme? We'll find out.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yo! Didn’t see one for yesterday so thought I’d go ahead and do it as news is slow anyways. Here we go:

1. We’ve talked a lot about getting Jamal Adams, but what’s the actual cost? JJT sourced Tony Pauline as saying a 1st and La’el Collins was the Jets asking price. This is a non-starter for the team as Collins is on a very reasonable deal and he’s becoming one of the best RT’s in the league. His cap hit the next 2 years; about 4M. No way we trade him or that contract. Collins is one of the leagues best bargains of non-rookie deal QB’s. Also JJ’s ego. He feels he played major a part in a fantastic deal, no way he lets that go. Last reason, the Cowboys will not trade an offensive lineman for a S. Simple as that.

2. Tony Pauline sourced Jadaveon Clowney as having the Cowboys and Saints as his first two options. JJT says the Cowboys are willing to have him at 7-9M, Clowney has rumored to want up to 20M. Unless he cuts his demand in half, no way the team signs him. Injury history, sack production, and consistency listed as the main reasons the Cowboys and the rest of the league have balked at paying him anywhere near what he’s been asking for.

3. This whole segment is about the virus so I’ll tread lightly. Basically the rate of change on information with the virus is so fast that the 65-70 hour weeks go on with a lot of uncertainty. The FO is frustrated, not angry, but just working though the ambiguity.

4. File this away for next week JJT said. He asked team sources, “Give me a couple guys to watch next year”. They gave him 3 guys to look at in camp and going into the season.

-Chris Westry (a personal favorite): Unique and long athlete (6’4 running a 4.3 at CB). Hasn’t got a chance to play too much and is raw though.

-JJT said this one knowing how some fans would react and said “take it for what’s it’s worth”, but Xavier Woods, who he seemed excited about. Personally, I think all he needs to do is turn those 2-3 missed plays into converted plays and we look at him a lot different. Always been solid PFF wise and is widely seen as an average league starter, but with a coaching change and better front 7 play I think he could take a step.

https://www.kesn1033.com/2020/06/26...-adams-trade-clowney-news-3-players-to-watch/

Nice point on Collins as Jerry's trophy. Jerry deserves that one. He won the La'el sweepstakes.

Pollard is a surprise. Not that Pollard isn't good, but unless M+M really cut the offense loose, I don't see how Pollard gets that many snaps. I thought CD as WR3 was basically the end of my dreams of a two HB offense. Zeke + 3WR + TE seemed our inevitable base.

But a track team of Zeke + 3WR + Pollard as RB/WR would be funky town. Just so much threat on the field, *and* I get my two HB offense.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
My reactions...

The last statement is kind of dumb "the Cowboys will not trade an offensive lineman for a S. Simple as that"...Of course they will. As long as he is not named Zack, Tyron, or La'el. If this deal gets done, I think an offensive lineman (Connor Williams) will be part of the package that goes to the Jets. I'm actually optimistic now.

Williams with a meh career so far, and coming off of injury? I can't see the Jets seeing much value in him. Nothing near Collins.

Maybe they're talking up Woods as some of the compensation. The Jets are giving up a S, and we'd be getting one. They likely need another, and we have too many. Makes sense. I'd be happy to trade Jaylon, as I don't trust his health and saw him look *horrible* too many times. We've got interior olinemen aplenty, but not much proven value.

We don't have much proven quality young guys. The most overrated would be Jaylon. Throw in Woods.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the Jets want Collins & a 1st for Adams...then make it Collins and we get the Jets 1st. They do not get ours. That will be the even trade.

VACowboy

Reaction score

Thanks for the excellent recap! I look forward to it every wk.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Nice point on Collins as Jerry's trophy. Jerry deserves that one. He won the La'el sweepstakes.

Pollard is a surprise. Not that Pollard isn't good, but unless M+M really cut the offense loose, I don't see how Pollard gets that many snaps. I thought CD as WR3 was basically the end of my dreams of a two HB offense. Zeke + 3WR + TE seemed our inevitable base.

But a track team of Zeke + 3WR + Pollard as RB/WR would be funky town. Just so much threat on the field, *and* I get my two HB offense.
It's been a while since any of us have seen any type of creativity on offense. The few plays that included both 20 and 21 on the field at the same time seemed to happen begrudgingly it was so little.

I think that certainly changes now that a certain someone is finally gone.

And you're right about that combo of players, and it's not like Jarwin cant find his way open either.

This offense really ought to be legendary barring injury.

Frustrates me even more when I think of how much its probably been held back for so long.