Recap: JJT: Whispers from the Star (8/7)

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Not a stellar week of content in a sense, but I have a feeling that things will heat up in the next week or so. At any rate, here is a recap of this week's segment of Whispers from the Star.

1. Randy Gregory has been in the Dallas news this week for some public comments that he made about the league on Twitter as it relates to his pending reinstatement. JJT has talked to several people on the team and they've said that while he's been good in the aftercare program, he has not been perfect. He has had some mishaps along the way, and while that could be what is taking his reinstatement so long, many associated with the team and the situation do not think that's the case. There were questions awhile ago about where his head was at and about his desire to continue to play football, so JJT seems to think that is the reason why the NFL is dragging their feet. COVID certainly did him no favors.

2. LVE made the news yesterday discussing his move to middle linebacker, where he played a lot as a rookie. Why? He's terrific in coverage. Two years ago he had two interceptions and seven pass deflections. The other reason is he has outstanding speed for a linebacker of his size. He's also a better tackler than Jaylon Smith. When he is healthy, he is the best tackler on the team, and it's not even close. It will also put Jaylon Smith in a better position to succeed as well, as the Cowboys presumably want to get him more involved in the pass rush. New DC and new scheme means new assignments, and LVE is getting moved simply because he can do a lot of things that Jaylon cannot. Kind of funny to me personally, because I remember JJT saying back in February or March that Jaylon would not be contributing to pass rush because he 'ain't that dude.' Guess we'll find out in about five weeks.

3. Why is Everson Griffen still on the street and why aren't the Cowboys interested? He wants that paper, in the words of JJT. Griffen got a nice extension from Minnesota a few years ago and opted out of it, with three years left. He took a look at it and opted out because he wanted more money. He wants that Clowney money. But the problem there, as JJT noted, is that even Clowney isn't getting Clowney money. If the Cowboys were in the market for a high priced DE, they would've had no issues making a deal with Robert Quinn. Griffen and/or Clowney would have to come down below 10M for Dallas to even flirt with them. There are also numerous questions about the state of Griffen's mental health. The dude has had some issues over the years, culminating in an incident at the Hotel Ivy, where he threatened to shoot someone. Although he had no issues last season, COVID has complicated the ability for him to meet with team representatives. He can tell teams that he's good mentally, but he can't show them. I kind of rolled my eyes at this notion, because that's never stopped Jerry before, but hey - maybe McCarthy and Stephen are the new sheriffs in town.

4. JJT asked a source who the most underrated player was on the defense. Matt guessed that it was Xavier Woods because the team is, for whatever reason, so high on him. The answer was actually surprising, and the source indicated that it was Anthony Brown. Even though he only has four interceptions, he has a nice ability to be around the ball, he's fast, they utilize him in the corner blitz (where he's racked up 3 sacks), and he is a key contributor on special teams as well. He's not their best defender by any stretch of the imagination, but was the most underrated, according to the source.

And that's all I got today, folks.

Happy Friday

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A few tidbits and makes sense for the most part. Nothing outrageous from JJT as he can be at times.
Who really knows about Gregory, but it seems to be the best explanation that is out there. Though in the past they never commented on such things to the media. Or seemed to not comment. This is the only questionable thing there is.

Brown is underrated by many fans. I was glad they resigned him to a decent contract.
Never was high on Griffin or Clowney coming here, glad they did not eat that cheese.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure. JJT could have been alluding to the "mishaps" that he has had in the aftercare program. Those aren't clearly defined.

Maybe missed tests? That was reported as issues the last time. But supposedly to no fault of Gregory's. A missed communication. I think he had some personal thing going on, and did not get the info to take a test. Supposedly.
Fans will choose to believe it or not.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
Aldon Smith better bring his Delorean with him to camp as Dallas is really going to need him to perform.

quickccc

Reaction score
Not a stellar week of content in a sense, but I have a feeling that things will heat up in the next week or so. At any rate, here is a recap of this week's segment of Whispers from the Star.

2. LVE made the news yesterday discussing his move to middle linebacker, where he played a lot as a rookie. Why? He's terrific in coverage. Two years ago he had two interceptions and seven pass deflections. The other reason is he has outstanding speed for a linebacker of his size. He's also a better tackler than Jaylon Smith. When he is healthy, he is the best tackler on the team, and it's not even close. It will also put Jaylon Smith in a better position to succeed as well, as the Cowboys presumably want to get him more involved in the pass rush. New DC and new scheme means new assignments, and LVE is getting moved simply because he can do a lot of things that Jaylon cannot.

Kind of funny to me personally, because I remember JJT saying back in February or March that Jaylon would not be contributing to pass rush because he 'ain't that dude.' Guess we'll find out in about five weeks

here's what i recalled JJT and his source when discussing jaylon as a pass rusher in this scheme,
" if jaylon is gonna be rushing like a 3-4 stand up OLB ala Greg Ellis in wade's 3-4 .. it ain happening, he's not the type to be engaged and tangling with pass blocking OTs on the edge, ratjher than str8 blitzing from an 4-3 outside LB role "

Kaiser

Reaction score
Not sure. JJT could have been alluding to the "mishaps" that he has had in the aftercare program. Those aren't clearly defined.

That's how I read it. It also seems like its missed appointments and minor stuff like that, if Randy Gregory was the guy some posters think he is the Cowboys wouldn't be behind him 100% like they are.

Kaiser

Reaction score
here's what i recalled JJT and his source when discussing jaylon as a pass rusher in this scheme,
" if jaylon is gonna be rushing like a 3-4 stand up OLB ala Greg Ellis in wade's 3-4 .. it ain happening, he's not the type to be engaged and tangling with pass blocking OTs on the edge, ratjher than str8 blitzing from an 4-3 outside LB role "

That makes a lot more sense, even with the normal amount of JJT translation. As a blitzing Mike, Jaylon was probably as good as anyone in the NFL. Its makes more sense that he was saying Jaylon will never be a Demarcus Ware type of 3-4 OLB.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He has had some mishaps along the way, and while that could be what is taking his reinstatement so long, many associated with the team and the situation do not think that's the case.

he has not been perfect

Keep telling you, Randy has no intention to stop smoking weed.........maybe that reason for their delay. They know once they let him back in, he can't be suspended/kicked again for weed.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
1. If he has had some "missteps," I fear he will never get right.

2. LVE at Mike and Jaylon at WILL are much better fits for their personal skillsets.

3. Griffin has some legitimate emotional issues. Many documented, some you wouldn't believe.

4. Both trash.

DFWJC

Reaction score
3. Why is Everson Griffen .......... wants that Clowney money. But the problem there, as JJT noted, is that even Clowney isn't getting Clowney money. If the Cowboys were in the market for a high priced DE, they would've had no issues making a deal with Robert Quinn. Griffen and/or Clowney would have to come down below 10M for Dallas to even flirt with them. There are also numerous questions about the state of Griffen's mental health. The dude has had some issues over the years, culminating in an incident at the Hotel Ivy, where he threatened to shoot someone. Although he had no issues last season, COVID has complicated the ability for him to meet with team representatives. He can tell teams that he's good mentally, but he can't show them. I kind of rolled my eyes at this notion, because that's never stopped Jerry before, but hey - maybe McCarthy and Stephen are the new sheriffs in town.
Has Jerry ever paid huge dollars to a player with questionable mental makeup without interviewing him face-to-face?

I don't think so

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Maybe missed tests? That was reported as issues the last time. But supposedly to no fault of Gregory's. A missed communication. I think he had some personal thing going on, and did not get the info to take a test. Supposedly.
Fans will choose to believe it or not.
I’m over the whole Gregory saga. He was a risk/reward pick that showed promise before hitting rock bottom. I don’t think he’ll play for the Cowboys ever again and I’m ok with that.

In my opinion he’s already lost way too much time with all the suspension stuff that he’ll never be able to regain form. All I hope for is that his personal life is on the right track and he’s at peace with every thing.

quickccc

Reaction score
A few tidbits and makes sense for the most part. Nothing outrageous from JJT as he can be at times.
Who really knows about Gregory, but it seems to be the best explanation that is out there. Though in the past they never commented on such things to the media. Or seemed to not comment. This is the only questionable thing there is.

Brown is underrated by many fans. I was glad they resigned him to a decent contract.
Never was high on Griffin or Clowney coming here, glad they did not eat that cheese.

3 years 15 million doesn't sound just like a decent contract for Brown, i wonder what the tier dollar is going for re-signed 3rd CBs around the league.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3 years 15 million doesn't sound just like a decent contract for Brown, i wonder what the tier dollar is going for re-signed 3rd CBs around the league.

I think it was back loaded the reason I stated that. I still think he is a solid player and adds depth.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m over the whole Gregory saga. He was a risk/reward pick that showed promise before hitting rock bottom. I don’t think he’ll play for the Cowboys ever again and I’m ok with that.

In my opinion he’s already lost way too much time with all the suspension stuff that he’ll never be able to regain form. All I hope for is that his personal life is on the right track and he’s at peace with every thing.

I been pulling for him, as we need a talented RDE other than these one year deals and all these 5th rounders everyone seem high on, it never work out.
But I am to the point also, if he is not here, so be it. One of these draft picks or FAs will have to replace him. As this Is his last chance.

who knows maybe if they don’t get that top S next draft they will end this RDE saga and select one.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Has Jerry ever paid huge dollars to a player with questionable mental makeup without interviewing him face-to-face?

I don't think so

Never in Free Agency, but you can argue Morris Claiborne would make the list.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That statement doesn't make sense to me. Why should his "desire" level have any effect on the NFL's decision?
Maybe because if he's not dedicated to it, he won't stay clean. If it's fact he's not stayed on the path 100%, they might be tired of baby sitting this guy.

I would question his desire since he went into the draft. He would have been a 1st round pick if not for having extremely poor judgment. His excuses for getting stoned are just that.