Recap: JJT: Whispers from the Star (9/25)

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
1. Yes the QB and RB are playing well, and the WR corps seems to be healthy, but what about that line that we've been leaning on for years? Tyron has taken a step back due to availability, C Williams is "trash", Joe Looney is "a nice guy, but not Travis Frederick", and La'el can't even keep himself in shape "which is why his butt got hurt."

Looney is playing ok, and I'll take Smith, Collins, and Martin. 2 pro bowlers, maybe 3 out of them.

Pretty broad consensus that Williams isn't playing well. But we have Knight, McGovern, and Biadasz to take over at LG. With Collins and Smith back, I'd be totally fine with Knight playing LG. I expect McGovern or Biadasz would be fine too.

Williams pulls it together, or we replace him with a guy who has shown he can play in Knight, or one of two quality interior oline draft picks in McGovern and Biadasz. Williams has had two years of development, hasn't come that far, and we have him under contract for fewer years than his potential replacements. Moving on has upsides for the future, and we could *see* what we've got with his potential replacements.

We're not married to Williams at LG. Considering him a fundamental limitation for the offense makes little sense.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
What's up folks! I'm off work for 10 days, the beer is cold, the food is hot, and Cowboys football is imminent. Also now planning a wedding, but we have about 13 months to get that up and going.

Let's get cracking on this week's segment of Whispers from the Star. JJT brought the heat today:

1. JJT got up with one of his sources this week that he's known for 20+ years that has a long history of working for the Cowboys, but doesn't any longer. The source told JJT - "you *12 letter cusswords* fall for the same poop year after year." JJT asked if he was one of those 12 letter cuss words? Source said - you damn right. Source went on to elaborate and say any members of Dallas media hyping this team up as a contender for the conference and/or Super Bowl have lost their minds. JJT noted to the source that he thinks this roster is talented, to which the source responded: "who told you that it was talented?" Source said to start with the offense. Yes the QB and RB are playing well, and the WR corps seems to be healthy, but what about that line that we've been leaning on for years? Tyron has taken a step back due to availability, C Williams is "trash", Joe Looney is "a nice guy, but not Travis Frederick", and La'el can't even keep himself in shape "which is why his butt got hurt." Then he moved to the defense and asked JJT who the Superstar on defense was. JJT said Tank Lawrence. Source came back with "cool, when was the last time he got a sack?" JJT says "okay, last year when he had 5 sacks I get your point." Source then asks, "who was your best defender last year, Byron Jones? How did he play for the Cowboys last week?" JJT said okay again. Hard to get better on defense when you lose your best defender. And then the safeties, and linebacker issues, and..at this point you get the idea of how this conversation went. This source does not think this line will get any of the weapons open or give this offense the time it needs to click and this defense is below average as it stands now. Said the Falcons game was a fluke because "it's Atlanta, and that don't count." Then the source reiterated "again, who the hell told you that this was a good roster?" JJT admitted that media hasn't had much access to the team this offseason and that they are largely running on hype and past performance and conjecture. Source then said "you heard it from Jerry and Stephen, that's where. And those two ain't gonna tell you that their players are bad because they're the ones who picked them."

To close, JJT asked the source - you think we're gonna beat Seattle this weekend? To which the source responded "hell no." They bet drinks on this game and JJT insisted that when he wins the bet, he isn't ordering any of that cheap stuff either. Personally, I'm not sure why JJT included this in today's show, as it just sounds like an embittered ex employee, but again the dude did make a few points. I recommend listening online.

2. This pass rush is awful. Mostly stat lines mentioned here, about how our boys just aren't getting home. Aldon Smith and Griffen have gotten home once each, but beyond that, our boys have been stone walled. JJT like many of us doubled down on the fact that telling hand in the dirt 4-3 DE's to play standing up with no real offseason to learn this technique was the dumbest thing this football team could do. Says the Cowboys are overthinking the defense, kind of like Rob Ryan's insanely complicated scheme of checks and balances, which caused some players to regress. We have to use these guys how they've proven that they're successful. Based on some pressers this week, I think McCarthy gets it and some of the players we've heard from agree.

One more thing, we heard about Jaylon Smith rushing the passer all offseason. DPR this, DPR that. We've heard about it. JJT told us over the summer that "he ain't that dude" which got some side eyes on this forum from some of you. So far, Jaylon has rushed the passer 14 times. No sacks, no hits, no pressures, no hurries, no nothing. Just a guy. We are wasting our time trying to get Jaylon on the QB.

3. The thick of this story is that Jerry Jones's long time personal security guard, Roosevelt Riley, is no longer at his side. He now watches Jerry's house at Highland Park. JJT thought it was odd and really there has been no information out there about it. Is it a demotion? Did Riley just get older and want to take a step back? Did something happen between he and Jerry? Something to keep your eye on. JJT didn't want to offer any conjecture, but it is certainly interesting.

I appreciate the summaries, but this was a weak episode for JJT. And I usually like them.

Lots of player evaluation from him and unnamed source. Don't care. We got plenty of our own opinions.

As for Security Guard news, are you kidding? Don't talk about personal security measures or personnel. That's not football news, and it's *bad* for security.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I’m surprised to hear so much skepticism about what the source said.

Anonymous sources for opinions aren't interesting. Yeah, I trust that someone has that opinion, but who cares?

Anonymous sources for facts mean something. An anonymous "they suck" don't mean much. We can get that from non-anonymous sources all day.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
As for Security Guard news, are you kidding? Don't talk about personal security measures or personnel. That's not football news, and it's *bad* for security.
Two schools of thought here, at least for me.

JJT has covered the team since the Barry Switzer era, and that's how long Roosevelt Riley has been around. It's definitely an unusual visual to see Jerry these days and not see him around, at least for fossils like JJT who have covered this team for ages. The other is that JJT has been harsh on Jerry this offseason since he hasn't made many concise comments about people of color and systemic racism. Riley is a person of color and JJT explicitly noted that on the air. Could've been JJT insinuating something without directly saying it.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Anonymous sources for opinions aren't interesting. Yeah, I trust that someone has that opinion, but who cares?

Anonymous sources for facts mean something. An anonymous "they suck" don't mean much. We can get that from non-anonymous sources all day.
Definitely true, but can you dispute anything that was discussed by this source?

The source mentioned our skill players are fine, but expressed concerns about our OL, DL, CB's, S, and LB's. Do you sincerely believe we are up to snuff there, given the amount of players this team has on IR? JJT mentioned that the source was clowning the Dallas media (which included JJT). I doubt JJT would have made himself look foolish on ESPN radio without thinking that this source didn't have any credibility.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What's up folks! I'm off work for 10 days, the beer is cold, the food is hot, and Cowboys football is imminent. Also now planning a wedding, but we have about 13 months to get that up and going.

Let's get cracking on this week's segment of Whispers from the Star. JJT brought the heat today:

1. JJT got up with one of his sources this week that he's known for 20+ years that has a long history of working for the Cowboys, but doesn't any longer. The source told JJT - "you *12 letter cusswords* fall for the same poop year after year." JJT asked if he was one of those 12 letter cuss words? Source said - you damn right. Source went on to elaborate and say any members of Dallas media hyping this team up as a contender for the conference and/or Super Bowl have lost their minds. JJT noted to the source that he thinks this roster is talented, to which the source responded: "who told you that it was talented?" Source said to start with the offense. Yes the QB and RB are playing well, and the WR corps seems to be healthy, but what about that line that we've been leaning on for years? Tyron has taken a step back due to availability, C Williams is "trash", Joe Looney is "a nice guy, but not Travis Frederick", and La'el can't even keep himself in shape "which is why his butt got hurt." Then he moved to the defense and asked JJT who the Superstar on defense was. JJT said Tank Lawrence. Source came back with "cool, when was the last time he got a sack?" JJT says "okay, last year when he had 5 sacks I get your point." Source then asks, "who was your best defender last year, Byron Jones? How did he play for the Cowboys last week?" JJT said okay again. Hard to get better on defense when you lose your best defender. And then the safeties, and linebacker issues, and..at this point you get the idea of how this conversation went. This source does not think this line will get any of the weapons open or give this offense the time it needs to click and this defense is below average as it stands now. Said the Falcons game was a fluke because "it's Atlanta, and that don't count." Then the source reiterated "again, who the hell told you that this was a good roster?" JJT admitted that media hasn't had much access to the team this offseason and that they are largely running on hype and past performance and conjecture. Source then said "you heard it from Jerry and Stephen, that's where. And those two ain't gonna tell you that their players are bad because they're the ones who picked them."

To close, JJT asked the source - you think we're gonna beat Seattle this weekend? To which the source responded "hell no." They bet drinks on this game and JJT insisted that when he wins the bet, he isn't ordering any of that cheap stuff either. Personally, I'm not sure why JJT included this in today's show, as it just sounds like an embittered ex employee, but again the dude did make a few points. I recommend listening online.

2. This pass rush is awful. Mostly stat lines mentioned here, about how our boys just aren't getting home. Aldon Smith and Griffen have gotten home once each, but beyond that, our boys have been stone walled. JJT like many of us doubled down on the fact that telling hand in the dirt 4-3 DE's to play standing up with no real offseason to learn this technique was the dumbest thing this football team could do. Says the Cowboys are overthinking the defense, kind of like Rob Ryan's insanely complicated scheme of checks and balances, which caused some players to regress. We have to use these guys how they've proven that they're successful. Based on some pressers this week, I think McCarthy gets it and some of the players we've heard from agree.

One more thing, we heard about Jaylon Smith rushing the passer all offseason. DPR this, DPR that. We've heard about it. JJT told us over the summer that "he ain't that dude" which got some side eyes on this forum from some of you. So far, Jaylon has rushed the passer 14 times. No sacks, no hits, no pressures, no hurries, no nothing. Just a guy. We are wasting our time trying to get Jaylon on the QB.

3. The thick of this story is that Jerry Jones's long time personal security guard, Roosevelt Riley, is no longer at his side. He now watches Jerry's house at Highland Park. JJT thought it was odd and really there has been no information out there about it. Is it a demotion? Did Riley just get older and want to take a step back? Did something happen between he and Jerry? Something to keep your eye on. JJT didn't want to offer any conjecture, but it is certainly interesting.
not sure what to make of the first one. sounds like a disgruntled employee who got let go. or maybe 50/50. some of the things are obvious. like smith not being on the field. but he has been in the league for a while. we don't ahve his replacement and there have been too many other needs. when he plays, he is dominant.

quickccc

Reaction score

Thanks for Sharin' as always Carrot .. :clap:

- Ironically Jacque T mentioning players complaining about DC Nolan's defense as complex as comparing to the Rob Ryan dayz ...while
that's the defensive scheme that I myself have been comparing Nolan's defense to as far as trying to be creative and exotic
trying to be confuse opponents, but instead it's coming to confuse his own defensive players.

i understand we have to be better than vanilla simple but there has to be a middle ground ...there has to be an In-Between ... have to be better than simple ,but cannot have over-creative and too complex either.

- Jaylon ? tick ...tick ..tick ... he's being exposed for what he is ..and it's still so shocking that his knack and supposed instincts were so over hyped at draft time. Now he has been quite durable since recovering from that horrific knee injury. but there's so many holes in his game that he's proving a
liability for this club. Sorry but i believe what you see is always what you'll get with Jaylon.

At some point the team is gonna sit and talk about his future and how to upgrade over him per draft ..i think its' only a matter o time
and i'll bet there will be some future Whispers from Stars swirling around the doubts about him inside this organization.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Definitely true, but can you dispute anything that was discussed by this source?

The source mentioned our skill players are fine, but expressed concerns about our OL, DL, CB's, S, and LB's. Do you sincerely believe we are up to snuff there, given the amount of players this team has on IR? JJT mentioned that the source was clowning the Dallas media (which included JJT). I doubt JJT would have made himself look foolish on ESPN radio without thinking that this source didn't have any credibility.

I disputed the OL comments. Didn't dispute all opinions because why bother? I got no end of people to dispute opinions with on the forum.

Source "credibility" is about the truthfulness of a source of a fact. These are opinions. That JJT may be of the opinion that his anonymous source has credible opinions is a big fat nothingburger to me.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I disputed the OL comments. Didn't dispute all opinions because why bother? I got no end of people to dispute opinions with on the forum.

Source "credibility" is about the truthfulness of a source of a fact. These are opinions. That JJT may be of the opinion that his anonymous source has credible opinions is a big fat nothingburger to me.
I don't think we will find out about this OL until we play Cleveland. I have a feeling Garrett will have a big impact in that game.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
The thick of this story is that Jerry Jones's long time personal security guard, Roosevelt Riley, is no longer at his side. He now watches Jerry's house at Highland Park. JJT thought it was odd and really there has been no information out there about it. Is it a demotion? Did Riley just get older and want to take a step back? Did something happen between he and Jerry? Something to keep your eye on. JJT didn't want to offer any conjecture, but it is certainly interesting.

Not really.

Reactions: CWR

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't think we will find out about this OL until we play Cleveland. I have a feeling Garrett will have a big impact in that game.

Regardless, clearly this OL is not what it was in 2016. Not just a little, but several steps back when you consider age, retirement, and injury. I'm hoping at worse it's suitable as the season wears on.

The rest was just a dose of reality. As fans we were hoping the DL and LBs would play at a high level and get to the QB. If they can't do that we're in trouble. But it's only week three so I'm not ready to throw in the towel.

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
And by gel i mean 2007 Giants type gel. Elite dline, good lb play and average secondary. If the dline stays how it is we should prepare for the draft

Amen. We've got some talent in the front 7 and its possible when LVE and Sean Lee get back, along with Joe Thomas we get good lb play. The secondary was always going to need to front 7 to perform if we were going to make this work.

CWR

Reaction score
Looney is playing ok, and I'll take Smith, Collins, and Martin. 2 pro bowlers, maybe 3 out of them.

Pretty broad consensus that Williams isn't playing well. But we have Knight, McGovern, and Biadasz to take over at LG. With Collins and Smith back, I'd be totally fine with Knight playing LG. I expect McGovern or Biadasz would be fine too.

Williams pulls it together, or we replace him with a guy who has shown he can play in Knight, or one of two quality interior oline draft picks in McGovern and Biadasz. Williams has had two years of development, hasn't come that far, and we have him under contract for fewer years than his potential replacements. Moving on has upsides for the future, and we could *see* what we've got with his potential replacements.

We're not married to Williams at LG. Considering him a fundamental limitation for the offense makes little sense.

I guess the eagles really did get us when they jumped ahead for Dallas Goedert. Although payback was twice as strong when we took CeeDee off the board.

CWR

Reaction score
Thanks for Sharin' as always Carrot .. :clap:

- Ironically Jacque T mentioning players complaining about DC Nolan's defense as complex as comparing to the Rob Ryan dayz ...while
that's the defensive scheme that I myself have been comparing Nolan's defense to as far as trying to be creative and exotic
trying to be confuse opponents, but instead it's coming to confuse his own defensive players.

i understand we have to be better than vanilla simple but there has to be a middle ground ...there has to be an In-Between ... have to be better than simple ,but cannot have over-creative and too complex either.

- Jaylon ? tick ...tick ..tick ... he's being exposed for what he is ..and it's still so shocking that his knack and supposed instincts were so over hyped at draft time. Now he has been quite durable since recovering from that horrific knee injury. but there's so many holes in his game that he's proving a
liability for this club. Sorry but i believe what you see is always what you'll get with Jaylon.

At some point the team is gonna sit and talk about his future and how to upgrade over him per draft ..i think its' only a matter o time
and i'll bet there will be some future Whispers from Stars swirling around the doubts about him inside this organization.

I still want to know how the hell he performed in 2018. I thought once we got some big beefers in the middle they'd keep him clean and we'd get to see Jaylon head hunt ect. I did actually see him make a couple plays last game, but he's not the player I thought he was. Sure played his tail off to get paid though.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
“One more thing, we heard about Jaylon Smith rushing the passer all offseason. DPR this, DPR that. We've heard about it. JJT told us over the summer that "he ain't that dude" which got some side eyes on this forum from some of you. So far, Jaylon has rushed the passer 14 times. No sacks, no hits, no pressures, no hurries, no nothing. Just a guy. We are wasting our time trying to get Jaylon on the QB.”

This is gold right here. It always made me laugh that folks wanted to try and make Jaylon a pass rusher and then posted video of practice reps while at Notre Dame.

Jaylon can be an “effective” pass rusher as can any linebacker, safety or corner if they time the blitz right and go relatively untouched.

Jaylon has zero pass rush moves and is easily stymied the second he’s engaged.

Hilarious.

Oh boy. Jaylon isn't DPR!

Could this maybe be because we struck freaking gold on a reclamation project who at the height of his career was looking like a HOF pass rusher?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It's not a good roster.

The safeties are crap, the DL is pieced together, the LBs are either injury prone or not very good.

The corners are nothing special at all.

The OLine needs to be rebuilt.

Other than that its fine....for those of is that are ok w the QB.

Honestly, you can actually this about MOST NFL teams but the good ones hiding their average units via elite QB and/or coaching. Look at the Ravens, Chiefs, Saints, Seahawks just to name a few.

cowboyed

Reaction score
He's pretty consistent. He's been right on the money when it comes to Randy Gregory, Earl, Dez, and several others. But a lot of people don't like him around here because he doesn't go on the air with poms poms cheering the Joneses on, and I like that about him.

Once in a while JJT gets things right but more often his reporting is too speculative and he can be a bit of muck-raker. Immature reporting ejaculation.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Yeah not sure I trust what the source is saying in #1. You'd be hard pressed to find more than 3-4 offenses more talented than the Cowboys offense, yet this source seems to be crapping on them.

And why the heck would/should we keep an eye on where a security guard is now working?

Sometimes JJT is weird.
Was wondering the same thing regarding Rosey. I could care less if the body guard was demoted or watching Jerry’s palace.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Sounds fake as hell. Not saying what you posted was, but “the source said this, then the source said that, and the source couldn’t believe people think that,” stuff.

And I’m not saying we’re winning the SB this year, but “the source” acts like we suck
Sounds like the guys butthurt but seems very very fake at the same time.