Joe Jackson: can he make an impact?

J12B

Reaction score
Not sure if you are serious or not. Lol.

But they liked Heath because he was and is a very good athlete.
They selected him in the draft, because of that, and since he was from a small school. They wanted to take time to develop him.
But a lot of injuries they were forced to play him before he was ready. And looked ever part of a very raw rookie that had no experience against a lot better players than he seen in college.

Now, since he has been in the NFL for a while now. He hasn’t lit the position on fire by any means. But he isn’t all as bad as the usuals say either.
Not a starter but a good fill in or spot player. As well as a very good ST player.

Heath was undrafted

cnuball21

Reaction score
Leading with those numbers with the studs in that division is impressive as the ACC was stacked with pass rushers.

He’s an average athlete, but he’s got a little burst and bend so hopefully he can make it.

Between him and Armstrong, we need one to hit.

dwreck27

Reaction score
Miami Hurricane fan here..

Defiantly excited for Joe to be here... he has the potential for 8-10 sacks a year... but his floor I think can be a very serviceable DE that can mitigate the bust of Taco... strong against the rush while still giving his man in front of him a tough day at the office all game

gmoney112

Reaction score
Statistically speaking, unlikely.

However, he's got some interesting traits. He's stronger/more athletic on the field than his testing would suggest. I was pretty surprised when I watched him and saw his "measurables". When he gets stronger, he's one of those dudes that will probably see a nice benefit at the pro level, somehow he translates it pretty well to usable power/athleticism when the pads come on.

His big thing is his hands and lack of a consistent plan, like moves when he gets engaged to disengage. The positive thing is, when he actually does use his hands well he's pretty successful.

Pad level, trying to do one move too much, are also normal raw DE things he needs work on.

Aside from getting stronger, he really needs to focus on his hands/moves/counters together for what he's going to see at the NFL level. If he can do that, he's got a chance. Not a bad player though, he's got some talent.

Mannix

Reaction score
-----He already made an impact in music history.

These kind of jokes are probably already old, right?

No, stupid...and not funny in the least. I was wondering who would be the first to not leave the low hanging fruit alone. Now I know.

Zordon

Reaction score
He will bring some much needed discipline to the dline.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bad athletes rarely make it especially a pass rusher.

Forty Times:
  • Terrell Suggs: 4.84
  • Joe Jackson: 4.84

Jackson weighed 13 pounds more than Suggs when they ran the forty (275 vs 262).

Suggs Accolades:
  • Career highlights and awards
  • Super Bowl champion (XLVII)
  • 7× Pro Bowl (2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2017)
  • First-team All-Pro (2011)
  • Second-team All-Pro (2008)
  • NFL Defensive Player of the Year (2011)
  • NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year (2003)

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If Joe Jackson does as well in the pros as he did in college, he's golden!!
Also, he was an all-pro in his videos, so there's that to ponder, too! :grin:

Seriously, the only way to find out if he's the real deal is to wait and hope.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
1-3 year project.. I expect to see some flash in the pan though...

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
So I am not huge PFF guy but these stats are good overall. Particularly when it comes to line play (either side) I believe my eyes. When I watch him I dont see an explosive first step or great closing speed. He is good against the run and is efficient player overall. Is his role as LDE run stopping type who occasionally gets moved inside? If he makes it that is what it looks like to me.
I agree about the eye test. I wanna see a guy who jumps out on tape, like the DT Oliver, but I do like the PFF stats too. It's funny how some :starspin:fans will always agree with PFF when it's good for one of our own but when PFF goes against them they dismiss and discredit it.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Forty Times:
  • Terrell Suggs: 4.84
  • Joe Jackson: 4.84

Jackson weighed 13 pounds more than Suggs when they ran the forty (275 vs 262).

Suggs Accolades:
  • Career highlights and awards
  • Super Bowl champion (XLVII)
  • 7× Pro Bowl (2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2017)
  • First-team All-Pro (2011)
  • Second-team All-Pro (2008)
  • NFL Defensive Player of the Year (2011)
  • NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year (2003)
I hope he is just as fast in small yard bursts with on OL hands on him. I don't care if he is Hollywood henderson if he cant make difference plays.

kskboys

Reaction score
Joe's primary problem is that he played on a really bad D. Really really bad.

Huge steal for us. At the very least, he will be a competent player.