Twitter: Joe Looney close to returning to team

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
I'm guessing the FO feel good about Martin being the starter at LG? Surely not. If this report is correct then, I think it heavily discounts the rumors/notion of Collins being moved back to LG (which I'm against).

Then again, neither Fleming nor Martin have signed a contract, so nothing is 100% certain. Maybe the Martin deal fell through? Man...I have a feeling we're going to have a lot of uncertainty (again) with this O-line until TC starts.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
It's all about creating competition. I have read the Cowboys plan to have Fleming, Looney, and Martin all signed by the end of the day tomorrow.

I doubt Fleming has backed out. He probably decided to become a Cowboy the day the Patriots re-signed LaAdrian Waddle, who was also here for a visit.

Fleming was behind Solder, Cannon, Waddle and another guy that was injured all of last year on their original depth chart. He is at worst number 3 here. Very doubtful he would back out.

Verdict

Reaction score
Not sure I like this. It could mean (1) Fleming has backed out and this is Plan B; or (2) the plan is to start Martin or Looney at LG and Fleming is just swing T. Otherwise it really makes no sense to sign two guys who do exactly the same thing as backup G/C.

Or ww could be signing this guy to throw everyone off. It's just what other teams would be expecting.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I probably would. Only because I believe if you end up paying the guy too large a percentage of the cap then you negate the advantage of having a great guard.

Besides who wouldn't love another Herschel Walker trade?
This place would blow to smithereens and I will dance in the ashes, as it rains down upon me.
Some truly wonderful and terrible conversations would go all over the place with the dynamics of such a conflagration.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Truth be told and a lot of people here won't agree but Looney was the best free agent signing this team has made in the past 5 years. I dare you to find me a better one. Edit: Only one that was better was Rolando McClain and even he fell off after one good season.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Good, he will likely improve this year and provide good depth and comic relief.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Fleming was behind Solder, Cannon, Waddle and another guy that was injured all of last year on their original depth chart. He is at worst number 3 here. Very doubtful he would back out.

The good news is he graded out reasonably well when he was forced to start. I think, at worst, he's an upgrade at swing tackle for Dallas. At best, he's starting.

Leadbelly

Reaction score
Well...scratch interior OL off the draft To Do list.

This one was surprising. I like Looney though. Good locker room guy too from what I gather.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Truth be told and a lot of people here won't agree but Looney was the best free agent signing this team has made in the past 5 years. I dare you to find me a better one.

I think you may be right, but the Cowboys got more starts out of Brandon Carr and Justin Durant. And Rolando McClain was a heck of a player here when he wasn't getting suspended and doing.....stuff.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I think you may be right, but the Cowboys got more starts out of Brandon Carr and Justin Durant. And Rolando McClain was a heck of a player here when he wasn't getting suspended and doing.....stuff.
Yeah I literally just put McClain in there. Carr was signed over 5 years ago and Durant was mehhh. Just because they started doesn't mean they were any good.

Reaction score
It's all about creating competition. I have read the Cowboys plan to have Fleming, Looney, and Martin all signed by the end of the day tomorrow.

I doubt Fleming has backed out. He probably decided to become a Cowboy the day the Patriots re-signed LaAdrian Waddle, who was also here for a visit.

I hope you're right. Just don't know why you wouldn't bring in a rookie to "create competition" with Martin for backup G/C position.

Jipper

Reaction score
all of a sudden it sounds like our depth on the oline is great....man, i hope the first 3 picks in this draft are defense...could you imagine that?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Teams were looking at Fleming at OG when he came out. I don't think he's played there.

Getting Looney back would be a nice plus. You need the 5 starters plus a swing OT and generally two more spots. Having two guys who can both play OG and C and who are both decent depth players would be a plus. We'd still look to add a LG in the draft, I'm sure.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
all of a sudden it sounds like our depth on the oline is great....man, i hope the first 3 picks in this draft are defense...could you imagine that?
Yeah. It just happened last year.