Joe Thomas deserves some props

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Havent seen a thread giving props to Joe Thomas, if so, my apologies, but he had a career day and deserves some props.

Thomas recorded a career-high 12 tackles (six solo) and a QB hit in Sunday's comeback win over the Falcons.

With Leighton Vander Esch (collarbone) on IR, Thomas got the start alongside Jaylon Smith at linebacker and posted a very Vander Esch-like tackle total.

The last time Thomas had a significant starting role, he posted 70 tackles and an INT over 16 games for the Packers in 2016, including his only other two double-digit tackle performances, so the 29-year-old may well be able to keep up this level of production for at least a few weeks.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Havent seen a thread giving props to Joe Thomas, if so, my apologies, but he had a career day and deserves some props.

Thomas recorded a career-high 12 tackles (six solo) and a QB hit in Sunday's comeback win over the Falcons.

With Leighton Vander Esch (collarbone) on IR, Thomas got the start alongside Jaylon Smith at linebacker and posted a very Vander Esch-like tackle total.

The last time Thomas had a significant starting role, he posted 70 tackles and an INT over 16 games for the Packers in 2016, including his only other two double-digit tackle performances, so the 29-year-old may well be able to keep up this level of production for at least a few weeks.

For sure guy has been our best LB, he will only get better.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
but wow does he look tiny out there
He is 6'1" and 233lbs, so not all that small, but I understand the visual observation.
He is getting the job done and filling a void.
On a side note take a look at KC,s two starting LBs.
Anthony Hitchens - Dallas Cowboys 2014 round 4 pick 19
Damien Wilson - Dallas Cowboys 2015 round 4 draft pick number 28
and check out the numbers they are putting up.
Both drafted by the Dallas Cowboys and both starting for KC, man the past regime made some serious mistakes at LB letting those two get away, and seems that KC just sat back and harvested two really good LBs at our expense.

Last edited:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

I agree.

He is playing naked right now with Jaylon his only lifeline as the safeties and CBs are in purgatory with their injuries.

I just have no clue how the defense will stop Wilson.

If I was a betting man..

I would have to bet on the Seahawks going 3-0 this weekend.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I agree.

He is playing naked right now with Jaylon his only lifeline as the safeties and CBs are in purgatory with their injuries.

I just have no clue how the defense will stop Wilson.

If I was a betting man..

I would have to bet on the Seahawks going 3-0 this weekend.
Most would,, and most would have taken Atlanta after the first 5 minutes of that game, so I guess anything is possible.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
He is just the type of LB I like. Good contract, doesn't draw attention (good or bad) and just does his job. We need the Joe Thomases and Dalton Schultzes of the roster to continue to produce. In the Garrett Era, this team relied too heavily on their big-money players, who many can argue were overpaid and didn't show up enough.

There are 11 positions on offense and defense. We don't need flashy superstars/Pro Bowlers/premium draft picks at every position. Of course there are important positions that you hope you have a few top-tier players at (ex: QB, WR, DL) But for a lot of those other positions, your goal is to find players who can be productive without breaking the bank.

ondaedg

Reaction score
He actually plays like a lb compared to our other two linebackers who tackle like cornerbacks.

:muttley:

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
He is 6'1" and 233lbs, so not all that small, but I understand the visual observation.
Both drafted by the Dallas Cowboys and both starting for KC, man the past regime made some serious mistakes at LB letting those two get away, and seems that KC just sat back and harvested two really good LBs at our expense.

yeah I guess look can be deceiving. Like that running back who briefly made the team I think it was 2 years ago. Some of us saw some youtube video and mistakenly thought he was huge, but he wasnt. I dont remember his name

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
yeah I guess look can be deceiving. Like that running back who briefly made the team I think it was 2 years ago. Some of us saw some youtube video and mistakenly thought he was huge, but he wasnt. I dont remember his name
I remember post from a few that said CD looked so skinny when we drafted him, just goes to prove that you dont have to be a gladiator build to play this game,, just play the game.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Becuz?

We were not willing to invest in defense becuz Jerrah prefers sizzle with his steak.

Offense.

Those guys were big losses and we preferred LBers with previous injury histories like Lee, Smith and Wolf Hunter.

All three had college histories of injuries and we scooped them up as winning picks only to see what we see today.

Nothing.

Hopefully this is avoided in the future.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Becuz?

We were not willing to invest in defense becuz Jerrah prefers sizzle with his steak.

Offense.

Those guys were big losses and we preferred LBers with previous injury histories like Lee, Smith and Wolf Hunter.

All three had college histories of injuries and we scooped them up as winning picks only to see what we see today.

Nothing.

Hopefully this is avoided in the future.
From my very early take, on how this staff addressed glaring issues,, I believe it will be.
Its going to take more than one off season though.
We have had patience,, a little more time wont hurt..lol
I like the early direction,, xwalker has already defined scheme change on defense,, with a healthy core, that scheme is applicable.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Those guys will be cut soon as it’s friendly enough to do it. Those were good decisions to let them walk.