Jones is right about Johnson

waving monkey

Reaction score
Many have read this September 5, 2014 article and it's a dead horse argument but still
posters have a misguided view of the many things JJones has done and gone through
since owning this storied franchise.Example:

September 5, 2014

Lord knows I've often criticized Jerry Jones in this space and on "First Take." I've even concluded the man has become a caricature of his hillbilly-huckster self, now savoring wildly entertaining "moral victories" (last season's Peyton Manning 51, Tony Romo 48 at JerryWorld) as much as he does forgettable wins.

Yep, keep winning those TV ratings with your wildly loved/hated 8-8 team, Jerry! Keep minting money while flashing that increasingly antique Super Bowl ring! Keep lopsided-grinning about how America's Team is by far the NFL's most valuable team!

That's my view of Jerry Jones now.

This is about Jerry Jones then, in the early 1990s.

This is about why I do NOT blame Jerry Jones for telling ESPN's Don Van Natta he will NOT enshrine Jimmy Johnson in the Cowboys' Ring of Honor. No doubt most people see this as just another reason Jones should fire himself. No doubt the outcry from Cowboys fans is: Come on, Jerry, quit holding such a petty grudge. We fans deserve to have Jimmy in our Ring of Honor!

In my view, there's nothing petty about this grudge

Before that first Super Bowl season, in 1992, I decided to write a book about a year inside a young, talented team on the verge and the edge, run by two outrageously cocky upstarts who played football together at the University of Arkansas. When I had finished researching and writing "The Boys," I was left wondering how Jones hadn't fired Johnson already. In Jones' shoes, I probably would have.

No man should have to put up with the mean-spirited humiliation Jimmy often inflicted on Jerry in front of front-office staffers, assistant coaches and players. Jimmy all but dared Jerry to fire him, and after they won their second Super Bowl together, following the 1993 season, one final insult at a restaurant finally sent Jerry over the edge. He fired the coach who had won two straight Super Bowls and who, to the NFL world, appeared poised to win two or three more.

link/http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11465560/bayless-jerry-jones-jimmy-johnson-dallas-cowboys

CCBoy

Reaction score
Jerry kept up with his own continual learning experiences. It didn't take him but a couple to three seasons to handle the media labeled Arkansas redneck labels.

Jimmy's part in the franchise, was a tragedy when the only recourse was separating the franchise from the talented side of his coaching. But as stated, above, it was warranted.

It was the departure of the attached coaching staff with Jimmy, that wanted comparable head coaching positions as well...that led to the decline, even before the talent/cap problems were unmanageable.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Bayless is a joke, then and now. His hate for Jimmy and those 90's teams runs deep. I still remember him trying to "out" Aikman and Tui making him **** his pants.

Ratmatt

Reaction score
Whatever point your trying to make loses all credibility when you use Skip Bayless to make it!

waving monkey

Reaction score
There is no point. Skip isnt the only reporter submitting on these events with this perspective.

The snake is Jimmy IMHO

Last edited:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
There is no point. Skip isnt the only reporter submitting on these events with this perspective.

The snake is Jimmy IMHO

I don't know.

Seems like a very one sided story.

Jerry has his part in it. I think he was probably the initiator in a lot of this stuff.

With that said, I didn't know those things about jimmy. But I still think he was reacting to Jerry's nonsense.

waving monkey

Reaction score
my take is Jimmy just found out over more time he couldn't stand Jones
and his not very good at hiding his feelings. i damn sure can see Jerry
getting on your nerves and his is a big ego.
But I remember Skip reporting Jimmy's wanting out of Dallas way before
it all came down. I think 1993. Skip even wrote then Jimmy's goal was to live on
a boat in Florida. You can goggle it.

khiladi

Reaction score
No matter how you spin it:

Jimmy Johnson needs to be in the Ring of Honor.

Jerry Jones is NOT the Ring of Honor, nor is he the Dallas Cowboys. His personal grudges have no bearing on what is a Dallas Cowboys Honor. You don't have to like your employee to recognize his good work.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Jimmy should be in the ROH and it's stupid that he's not.

This shouldn't surprise anyone though because both these men, Jerry and Jimmy, showed just how important their personal egos were with the way they allowed a dynasty to prematurely be destroyed because they were both to freaking greedy, and egomaniacal, to put all that BS aside.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
No man should have to put up with the mean-spirited humiliation Jimmy often inflicted on Jerry in front of front-office staffers, assistant coaches and players. Jimmy all but dared Jerry to fire him, and after they won their second Super Bowl together, following the 1993 season, one final insult at a restaurant finally sent Jerry over the edge. He fired the coach who had won two straight Super Bowls and who, to the NFL world, appeared poised to win two or three more.

Holy cow I've never heard this angle before. Does he quote sources?

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

Holy cow I've never heard this angle before. Does he quote sources?

Bayless quote a source? Where have u been, he pulls all his stuff out of his ace.

landroverking

Reaction score
I can't believe all the love here for Jimmy Johnson.
He has said he wanted out. In other words he quit on the team.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson deserves neither the ring of honor, or the hall of fame. His time in this league was too short. He will never get in either. book it.

Arkyvarminter

Reaction score
I do know for a fact that Aikman said if he ever ran into Skip Bayless he didn't know what he would do.