Jordan Humphrey is being underrated

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't get it.

Is it because he's so young?

Projected to run a 4.6 40?

This guy is a playmaker and a bigtime redzone threat. He can high point passes and bring in passes in traffic.

He also has YAC ability and is a load to bring down.

He's 6'4 225 and just a big body guy that can work out of the slot and make plays and I've seen lists where he isn't even a top 10 WR in this class.

I just do not get it. What am I missing?

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I'd love to have him but don't see them committing another high pick to WR and I think he'll fall in that late 2nd to early 3rd range. He reminds me a little of TO who just ran away from people with gliding long strides regardless of 40 time.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'd love to have him but don't see them committing another high pick to WR and I think he'll fall in that late 2nd to early 3rd range. He reminds me a little of TO who just ran away from people with gliding long strides regardless of 40 time.

If Beasley leaves then after Gallup and Cooper we have a bunch of junk.

T. Will needs to find a job somewhere else.

Hurns.. Good player but not good here in Dallas.

Tavon Austin. Pure gadget guy. Let him walk unless he is super cheap.

Noah Brown? Not bad. He's got some upside.

We were limited in the playoff game when Beasley was injured and there was nobody behind him.

I think Dallas does need a do it all WR somewhere in the draft or FA.

Also, he's not being projected to go high from what I've seen. I think Humphrey's being looked at as a Day 3 guy.

cowboyec

Reaction score
love to see that dymanic of a big receiver in the slot.
the more you watch him...the more he grows on you.
DT is a bigger need but we all know how this goes....so.....why not a WR in the 2nd or 3rd?
I think he could be had in the 3rd or 4th.
If Deebo,Ridley and Campbell are gone.....why not a Humphrey or Hakeem Butler in the 3rd or 4th.

Hardline

Reaction score
I would love to have Lil Jordan but if we don't take him at 58 he will be long gone before our third round pick comes up

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
I'd love for this team to grab him or Stanley Morgan Jr. Both of which are being undervalued in the projections that I've read.

cnuball21

Reaction score
He’s going to need to run decent and show some short area quickness.

Just wondering if he’ll be able to separate at the next level.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't get it.

This guy is a playmaker and a bigtime redzone threat. He can high point passes and bring in passes in traffic.

He's 6'4 225 and just a big body guy that can work out of the slot and make plays and I've seen lists where he isn't even a top 10 WR in this class.

He is a very difficult player to categorize/evaluate and uncertainty for scouts/teams pushes players down the draft board.

He has an elusiveness that seems to defy logic because I don't think he is quick per se.

It is very odd to see a guy with his build functioning as a RB at times.

I don't know if his elusiveness is something that will show up in combine/pro-day testing.

Dez was 6-2 with a 38" vert. At 6-4, Humphrey will need about 36" vert to be considered a legit contested-ball WR. If being 6-4 was all that's required to win contested balls, then many bottom of the roster TEs would be contested ball wizards.

He has some character issue also.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He is a very difficult player to categorize/evaluate and uncertainty for scouts/teams pushes players down the draft board.

He has an elusiveness that seems to defy logic because I don't think he is quick per se.

It is very odd to see a guy with his build functioning as a RB at times.

I don't know if his elusiveness is something that will show up in combine/pro-day testing.

Dez was 6-2 with a 38" vert. At 6-4, Humphrey will need about 36" vert to be considered a legit contested-ball WR. If being 6-4 was all that's required to win contested balls, then many bottom of the roster TEs would be contested ball wizards.

He has some character issue also.

I didn't know he had character issues but I think he could play like the old Larry Fitzgerald has when he transitioned himself to a slot player. I think Humphrey can be that kind of guy. That's what I see anyway.

His vert will be interesting as well as his 40.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I would love to have Lil Jordan but if we don't take him at 58 he will be long gone before our third round pick comes up

That's what I thought as well but look where he is being ranked. He seems like an afterthought and I always felt he was a first rounder when watching him live.

KDM256

Reaction score
I get it "Texas forever" and fans want to root for the hometown kid but why inthe world would the Cowboys who's already invested in a WR with their first pick in the 2019 draft, double down with another WR in the 2nd or 3rd round?

Looking at Humphrey's highlight tape, I don't see anything breakaway speed nor does this kid run crisp routes coming off the line. Cowboys have more pressing needs than loading up at WR.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I get it "Texas forever" and fans want to root for the hometown kid but why inthe world would the Cowboys who's already invested in a WR with their first pick in the 2019 draft, double down with another WR in the 2nd or 3rd round?

Looking at Humphrey's highlight tape, I don't see anything breakaway speed nor does this kid run crisp routes coming off the line. Cowboys have more pressing needs than loading up at WR.

His routes definitely don't look that good i'll admit.

The reason for us to invest in a WR is that we don't have a lot of talented WR's behind our top 2.

If Beasley walks then we will really be struggling for talent and we are 1 injury away from who knows what out wide.

We need a WR IMO. We don't have to spend a premium pick on one but if we do then so be it.

cnuball21

Reaction score

The reason for us to invest in a WR is that we don't have a lot of talented WR's behind our top 2.

If Beasley walks then we will really be struggling for talent and we are 1 injury away from who knows what out wide.

We need a WR IMO. We don't have to spend a premium pick on one but if we do then so be it.

Most teams don’t have a lot of talent behind their top 2 WRs. Remember we have Brown entering year 3 and Wilson who we just drafted so I’d like to at least give them a shot.

If we want a slot guy, go draft one in the 5th. They don’t go early.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Like I said in another thread, folks are way overrating Humphrey.

The way Humphrey played “slot” at Texas is not the kind of slot Beasley plays or the way most NFL teams slots play.

Traditionally, your slot has to win in space which by default means you need short area quickness, agility, and wiggle. That’s why smaller, quicker guys usually find some success there (eg. Beasley, Walker, Cobb, Edelman, Crebet, Humphries, etc.).

I don’t see that at all with Humphrey. I think he’s rather unrefined. He has some ability particularly after the catch but is raw and will take time to develop more so than some of the other receivers coming out.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I don't get it.

If you are 6'4" and projected as a slot then you should be underrated.

Hardline

Reaction score
I've seen his entire college career at Texas
All I can say is he simply makes big time plays dispite the lack of measurables.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I agree people are sleeping on him. I'm curious to see how he tests out at the Combine.

Texas used him outside, inside, out of the backfield, reverses, and as a return man. Reminds me of Cordarelle Paterson, only better hands and a better route runner.

He is one of about 15 players I'm hoping we have a shot at/and are considering in the 2nd round.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

For the Cowboys, he is the type of player that they probably won't target but will consider at the point they think he is a bargain.

For example, in 2016 they drafted CB Anthony Brown in the 6th, but actually had him rated 2 or 3 rounds higher from a talent perspective.

In 2018 they didn't expect to draft an OLineman in the 2nd, but just found Connor Williams too much of a bargain to pass up.