Jordan Humphrey is being underrated

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
If you are 6'4" and projected as a slot then you should be underrated.
If I am taking a "bigger" slot, I would probably consider Jakobi Meyers of NC State a little before Humphrey.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
If I am taking a "bigger" slot, I would probably consider Jakobi Meyers of NC State a little before Humphrey.
I would actually prefer not to have a bigger slot unless they have the ability to play effectively on the outside as well. I really think next season we will see both Cooper and Gallup in the slot a lot. Adding another WR that has that versatility would make more sense IMO.

Alexander

Reaction score
I would actually prefer not to have a bigger slot unless they have the ability to play effectively on the outside as well. I really think next season we will see both Cooper and Gallup in the slot a lot. Adding another WR that has that versatility would make more sense IMO.
That is part of the issue with a slot player like Beasley, however.

He is simply unable to play X or Z with any degree of success.

Unless our scheme radically changes, our receivers are really stuck into little boxes.

ItzKelz

Reaction score

Unless our scheme radically changes, our receivers are really stuck into little boxes.
Beasley is stuck in a box but not Cooper and Gallup. They have the ability to play inside and outside. Beasley has ability but IMO he is just a guy that can easily be replaced and actually upgraded.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If Beasley walk, I''m guessing his replacement will be another free agent and not a draft pick. Think about it, what are the odds of a 3rd, 4th or 5th rounder being a day-one starter?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
A trio of Cooper, Gallup, and Humphrey (or player like him) and you could literally line them up wherever, trying to dictate match-ups.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Beasley walk, I''m guessing his replacement will be another free agent and not a draft pick. Think about it, what are the odds of a 3rd, 4th or 5th rounder being a day-one starter?

Probably a combination of Tavon Austin and Cedrick Wilson with Cooper playing some snaps from the slot.

I'm expecting Austin to be re-sign for a relativity low cost.

cnuball21

Reaction score

As popular as Beas is with a lot of fans this is true.

He’s effective in the slot, but somewhat limits the O in his ability to vertically stretch the field due to his limited catch radius.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Probably a combination of Tavon Austin and Cedrick Wilson with Cooper playing some snaps from the slot.

I’d love to resign Austin and get him more involved.

His size is limits him to an extent, but he can fly which adds a dynamic to our offense.

That and his return ability actually make him more attractive than Beas to me.

Alexander

Reaction score
As popular as Beas is with a lot of fans this is true.

He’s effective in the slot, but somewhat limits the O in his ability to vertically stretch the field due to his limited catch radius.
Well, yes.

Limited catch radius, limited deep speed, can't function outside, distinct inability to beat tight press coverage.

But other that that, he is just great.

We should like totally re-sign him for whatever he thinks he is worth.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
If he’s still there take him in the fourth...

chagus

Reaction score
Looking at this tape, he looks good... but not "dynamic". I'd pass unless he was available in the later rds. That Texas QB looks pretty good though. His throwing style reminds me of Brees.

bodi

Reaction score

Austin better come cheap = he did nothing for me

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Beasley is stuck in a box but not Cooper and Gallup. They have the ability to play inside and outside. Beasley has ability but IMO he is just a guy that can easily be replaced and actually upgraded.

Gallup hasn’t shown the ability to play inside.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Gallup hasn’t shown the ability to play inside.
He did it all the time in college. Most WRs coming into the NFL there is an adjustment period. Gallup caught his stride late. Now that he is more comfortable I expect his game to expand all over the field as it did in college. He is a nuance route runner.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Austin better come cheap = he did nothing for me
1 year, 3M

He was not going to be the slot WR with Beasley there.

Austin in the slot won't catch as many passes as Beasley but he opens things up a bit more for other receivers because defenses respect his speed.

I wouldn't advocate Austin as the full time slot WR but splitting snaps between Austin and a young player would work well and Austin adds punt return value.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Hard to say how much was scheme because the player limitations have dictated much of the scheme limitations.
Beasley - Small without elite speed.
Dez - Terrible route runner.
Witten - Really slow in last years of career.
TWill - Struggled with short passes that got on him to quickly and not good tracking deep balls. Limited to the intermediate depth routes.

The team seems focused on changing that.
Cooper - Aikman says best route runner that he has seen.

Gallup and Cedrick Wilson were top 3 route runners in that draft.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I watched all the Longhorns games and he more than passed the eye test.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
He did it all the time in college. Most WRs coming into the NFL there is an adjustment period. Gallup caught his stride late. Now that he is more comfortable I expect his game to expand all over the field as it did in college. He is a nuance route runner.

That’s a real exaggeration. He lined up primarily on the outside at Colorado State.

I think he’s the perfect compliment opposite Cooper. If Beasley walks we need a good slot that can work underneath. I don’t pigeon-hole slot receivers to being 5’-9” 180 lbs, but I also don’t see anything in Humphrey that makes me think he could perform as our primary slot.

Cooper can play that role because of his great feet and quickness, but you also want him playing on the outside.