Josh Brent wasn't Drinking

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He ‘tussled’ with police officers while being completely under his own power, no inebriation whatsoever?

Even if it was a wrongful arrest, that doesn’t exactly sound like something we should be praising him for.
I don't think anyone is praising him just not rushing to judgment on his past problems being his present ones. I didn't even know he was employed as a scout by the team.

The demons he carries must be awful. I look back at myself at his age and I too had my best friends in the car while driving drunk and more than once. It was more "acceptable" and wide spread back then but none of us had ever killed our best friend. Especially one so close that his Mom would forgive me as fast as Mrs. Brown did. Mental problems? Who wouldn't have that?

conner01

Reaction score
He ‘tussled’ with police officers while being completely under his own power, no inebriation whatsoever?

Even if it was a wrongful arrest, that doesn’t exactly sound like something we should be praising him for.
Sounds like he has some mental health issues
Sitting and talking to himself

Reid1boys

Reaction score
True. When you see a guy known for irresponsible drinking shirtless fighting police, and the only information presented is that he was again drunk, the responsible move would be to doubt. Lol. Y’all really go through some mental gymnastics to appear above the fray
Im not above anything, but as someone who attended law school and has a degree in Criminal Justice..... I wait for trials, not the reports from people I do not trust. Thats why it is best to never speak to police if they are ever asking you questions about something unless it has nothing to do with you. Do what police tell you, veen if they are wrong because you will lose. COURTS are where things happen, not on the streets with ENFORCERS.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Well folks it turns out Josh Brent wasnt drinking or using any drugs when he was arrested. Its interesting how many of you internet tough guys with stone hearts jumped all over this guy calling for him to be imprisoned, fired ect.......

Now that the true story comes out it seems quiet in here.

You all know who you are. You lashed out publicly towards a man who was suffering from a mental breakdown. How do you feel now that the big shirtless man at Wendy's was suffering form a mental illness?
I'd like to thing that this type of thing will cause some to give a fellow man the benefit of the doubt next time but unfortunately I doubt it. We have become a cold judgmental bunch who prefers to tear each other apart more than empathize with others struggles.

Arrest warrant withdrawn for ex-Dallas Cowboy Josh Brent
By JORDAN DAJANIThu Jul 11 2019

Current Dallas Cowboys scout and former defensive lineman Josh Brent is no longer facing arrest for his June 30 arrest.

According to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, an arrest warrant for probation violation has been withdrawn. The reason why the warrant was withdrawn wasn't immediately made available, but Calvin Watkins of The Athletic reports that Brent tested clean for drugs and alcohol despite the initial report claiming he was intoxicated.

On the date in question, officers were called to the 800 block of MacArthur Boulevard, where a man was reportedly sitting in the grass and talking to himself. The officers determined the man, Brent, was drunk, and told him that he was going to be arrested on suspicion of public intoxication. He failed to cooperate, a tussle then ensued and Brent had to be tased in order to be subdued.

Brent reportedly admitted to police that he was drunk, when it appeared that he was actually suffering a mental breakdown. He is now undergoing treatment, and Watkins reports that the support from the Cowboys remains strong.
I agree that the internet is hostile, juvenile, and senile.

I originally posted that Brent actions was not that of a drunk and that I hope he would get the help he needed.

I am glad that is happening now. I am also glad the police responded properly with tasers and not with guns.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Im not above anything, but as someone who attended law school and has a degree in Criminal Justice..... I wait for trials, not the reports from people I do not trust. Thats why it is best to never speak to police if they are ever asking you questions about something unless it has nothing to do with you. Do what police tell you, veen if they are wrong because you will lose. COURTS are where things happen, not on the streets with ENFORCERS.

Go ride in the car for a couple of months. Experience what these guys experience every hour of every day of every week. If you don't come back with at least a slightly different view, then I'm guessing you're either God or an ideologue.

slick325

Reaction score
There should be ramifications for the officer who wrote that report as well as any others on the scene that agreed that they "smelled alcohol".

It is naive to believe that police officers do not lie or fabricate things to create probable cause. Even when their hunch is ultimately correct, it is still unconstitutional. Just like every profession on Earth, there are good and bad seeds. I think the people within that profession as well as the public should do a better job of admitting their wrong doing and admonish them accordingly. For the "police can do no wrong crowd", please read about ex-deputy Zachary Wester from Florida and his antics.

As an "officer of the Court" for over 20yrs, people would be astounded by the misconduct of police officers and their superiors who try to cover things up. My profession isn't exempt either, because there are a ton of crooked DA's, Assistant DA's and defense attorneys. Shoot...crooked attorneys period. The difference is, I'm not quick to defend them just because they are "officers of the Court". I distance myself from bad apples as everyone should in every profession, so as not to have their stench on you.

superonyx

Reaction score
Not to defend those who make demeaning remarks and get carried away in their comments, but he was arrested for public intoxication and, as this story says, "admitted to police that he was drunk." I don't think drawing conclusions based on that information was a far reach.
Agreed.
Unfortunately some take things way further than they need to go. We had folks calling for 10 years in prison for him.
People were using this episode at prove he was some punk who didnt learn from what happened with his friend. Come to find out what happened with his friend could have been partially responsible for his mental illness issues.
It's just a shame to see how we are so quick to crucify someone and so slow to empathize with someone. Vengeance seems to be the norm and empathy seems to be the exception. I hope stories like this one help us slow down our judgments in the future.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

I seriously hope some of you never have a loved one experience a mental breakdown, become schizophrenic, bipolar, or any other mental illness no one wants or asks to have fall upon them.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I agree with you IF, big IF you believe what is stated in Police Reports. I do not. Police can say he admitted to killing OJs ex wife also.

There is always the possibility that a police officer puts down the wrong information in a report, or even lies, but from my experience, that's not the norm. And generally, when the prosecutor reviews the case, the false information will be found to be false. Yes, some are falsely convicted, but if you look at the number of those compared to the number of accurate convictions, it's very small ... which is why they always stand out more.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Agreed.
Unfortunately some take things way further than they need to go. We had folks calling for 10 years in prison for him.
People were using this episode at prove he was some punk who didnt learn from what happened with his friend. Come to find out what happened with his friend could have been partially responsible for his mental illness issues.
It's just a shame to see how we are so quick to crucify someone and so slow to empathize with someone. Vengeance seems to be the norm and empathy seems to be the exception. I hope stories like this one help us slow down our judgments in the future.

I have come to expect the worst reactions from some. Sometimes I respond to all the negativity, but most of the time, I just choose to let it go because the effort isn't really worth it.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Go ride in the car for a couple of months. Experience what these guys experience every hour of every day of every week. If you don't come back with at least a slightly different view, then I'm guessing you're either God or an ideologue.
I have done it. I never once said they have an easy job, quite the opposite. But if you become so jaded from the day to day stuff the kob entails that you now view us citizens as "Bad guys," and the police as the "Good guys," it might be time to find another job. If you have become so jaded that you talk to citizens like they are you r dog, lie on police reports, make stuff up in interactions with people during traffic stops, it might be time to find another job. My guess is you are one of them.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
There is always the possibility that a police officer puts down the wrong information in a report, or even lies, but from my experience, that's not the norm. And generally, when the prosecutor reviews the case, the false information will be found to be false. Yes, some are falsely convicted, but if you look at the number of those compared to the number of accurate convictions, it's very small ... which is why they always stand out more.
lol....................... tell thatto all those being released after spending decades in prison due to DNA proving their innocence. There is a reason "The Innocence Project," exists, and it isnt because these cases are far and few in bwteen.

erod

Reaction score
Well folks it turns out Josh Brent wasnt drinking or using any drugs when he was arrested. Its interesting how many of you internet tough guys with stone hearts jumped all over this guy calling for him to be imprisoned, fired ect.......

You all know who you are. You lashed out publicly towards a man who was suffering from a mental breakdown. How do you feel now that the big shirtless man at Wendy's was suffering form a mental illness?
I'd like to thing that this type of thing will cause some to give a fellow man the benefit of the doubt next time but unfortunately I doubt it. We have become a cold judgmental bunch who prefers to tear each other apart more than empathize with others struggles.

Current Dallas Cowboys scout and former defensive lineman Josh Brent is no longer facing arrest for his June 30 arrest.

According to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, an arrest warrant for probation violation has been withdrawn. The reason why the warrant was withdrawn wasn't immediately made available, but Calvin Watkins of The Athletic reports that Brent tested clean for drugs and alcohol despite the initial report claiming he was intoxicated.

On the date in question, officers were called to the 800 block of MacArthur Boulevard, where a man was reportedly sitting in the grass and talking to himself. The officers determined the man, Brent, was drunk, and told him that he was going to be arrested on suspicion of public intoxication. He failed to cooperate, a tussle then ensued and Brent had to be tased in order to be subdued.

Brent reportedly admitted to police that he was drunk, when it appeared that he was actually suffering a mental breakdown. He is now undergoing treatment, and Watkins reports that the support from the Cowboys remains strong.
It's quiet because nobody gives a crap about what's going on with Josh Brent. Does he give a crap about you? No, he doesn't.

Reactions: CWR

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
guess vs conclusion????? Very different. You could be one of them with that kind of logic.

Don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back, Mr. Self-Righteous. You took some classes on the law and so now you're an expert on every behavior exhibited by every police officer. You also know everything about everyone you come in contact with on a sports forum. I guess you really are God. Since one of the definitions of Hell is "Living separated from God, I guess I'll be sending myself there shortly when I put you on ignore. I think I'm actually going to prefer to live there than to continue to endure your pompousness. Enjoy basking in the glow of your own light.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I just watched a video 2 nights ago of an Insurance adjuster sitting on the side of a road in front of a house. Someone called police and reported a "Suspicous," person. They approached the guy who was in his late 40s, driving a fairly new silverado truck.

The last time I had jury duty was two years ago, we spent a day in the waiting room and the guy I talked to the most was a real estate guy the same age as me.

We get called in for a case that is a young black girl charged with PI and assaulting an officer. Everyone in the jury poot tells their stories with law enforcement. The real estate guy, who is black, said he was sitting in his car in front of a house was going to buy and flip, running the comps on his laptop. Culver City PD pulls up with SIX black and whites and does a felony stop to pull him out of his car.

The guy is in his 40s and I guarantee you he was in a German car. The Judge, who is also black and in his 60's, casually replies "Yeah, same thing has happened to me".

That said, its a small fraction of cases that are like that. We had a drunk idiot break into his girlfriends condo in the building next to us a few months ago, a neighbor and I stayed while LAPD showed up and questioned the guy. They eventually arrested him after an hour of questioning but I was absolutely amazed at how patient and polite they were with a drunk idiot who my neighbor had filmed breaking in as he was doing it.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Well, if he wasn't drunk or high but instead was having a mental breakdown, that's even worse! Someone having a serious mental breakdown should not be driving or be out in public. That person could easily snap and either use a vehicle as a weapon or use an actually weapon to cause harm to others around them for any reason simply because that person is severely mentally unstable. You saw how he reacted to the police and had to be tazed and physically subdued. Brent could have easily reacted worse and cause serious harm to others in public. Get that guy into a mental facility where he can be properly maintained, checked and treated.