Juan Thornhill - Do Not Want

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
I've seen Thornhill in the majority of the mocks in this section at #58 and can't understand why. I reviewed his four full games available on YouTube and he has some glaring weaknesses that make him a hard pass for me in the second round.

Vs. Ohio

-1:20 takes a terrible angle, allowing a slow-footed QB to break off a 70 yard run.

-Got cooked for 2 TD's in this game (one he was clearly responsible, second one is debatable), and was a few yards short of allowing a 3rd TD.

-6:42 shows off his bad habit of lunging at a guys' knees/ankles without wrapping up. He does this A LOT. Those weak attempts at tackling will get exposed at the next level.

Vs. Indiana

:54 Painfully slow to react, and allows an RB to go untouched 40 yards for a TD.

3:20 and 3:32 Back to back plays of terrible tackling technique.

Vs. NC State

Just too small to play the Mike and it showed here in the running game. Had a nice TFL, but also took some poor angles, and had another missed tackle that resulted in big TD run. (8:10)

Vs. Miami

Probably his best game out of the 4 full games available on YouTube. Had 2 INT's, but one was an overthrow and one was severely under thrown. Yeah he gets credit for making the plays, but there's a difference between being gifted INT's and creating INT's with play recognition and anticipation.

Summary:
Thornhill is a 3rd round prospect to me. He may have tested better than Darnell Savage and Chauncey Gardner Johnson, but those two are clearly superior on film. He's not as twitchy, instinctive, or well-rounded as the two mentioned above, yet I see him mentioned in the same tier. Maybe some posters are mocking him to us at #58 because it's realistic, seeing how he was a pre-draft visit and there's a good chance he's available at #58. But as far as wanting him at #58? No thanks.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Just too small to play the Mike
Huh?

I agree with you that Savage and Gardner-Johnson are better prospects but I'm not sure we are going to do much better than Thornhill at 58. He's got physical tools and needs to be coached up. He was a quarterback and talented basketball player in high school and spent his first few years at CB at Virginia. I'm okay with him at 58 and would prefer him over guys like Jaylon Ferguson, Gerald Willis, Zach Allen, etc. who are basically maxed out athletically and developmentally.

I'd take his athleticism and instincts over Jeff Heath any day of the week.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Huh?

I agree with you that Savage and Gardner-Johnson are better prospects but I'm not sure we are going to do much better than Thornhill at 58. He's got physical tools and needs to be coached up. He was a quarterback and talented basketball player in high school and spent his first few years at CB at Virginia. I'm okay with him at 58 and would prefer him over guys like Jaylon Ferguson, Gerald Willis, Zach Allen, etc. who are basically maxed out athletically and developmentally.

UVA had him play Mike a ton, especially in that game.

Thornhill does have some good traits and I wouldn’t be opposed to him at #90. And I get the logic of wanting a higher ceiling player over a more polished, but lower ceiling player. But it would be a major buzzkill for me if we drafted him over some of the more well rounded safeties.
they all have weaknesses...none of these guys at the 58th spot of Rd 2 are finished or refined.
I like what Ive seen...he's a good player with skill set to grow.
Thornhill has some weaknesses that happen to be traits that we're coveting out of a SS though. CGJ is a well-rounded safety who's good at everything.

Thornhill is one of this year's sacred cows.

I prefer Rapp, Abram myself.
Rapp's less versatile than some of the other safeties, but he's a better fit than Thornhill. He has some key traits that they're seeking at SS. I like Abram, but doubt he'd fall that far.

cowboyec

Reaction score
UVA had him play Mike a ton, especially in that game.

Thornhill does have some good traits and I wouldn’t be opposed to him at #90. And I get the logic of wanting a higher ceiling player over a more polished, but lower ceiling player. But it would be a major buzzkill for me if we drafted him over some of the more well rounded safeties.

Thornhill has some weaknesses that happen to be traits that we're coveting out of a SS though. CGJ is a well-rounded safety who's good at everything.
Im a CGJ fan...he took over that bowl game vs michigan...Id have NO PROBLEM with him.
I do like Thornhill tho....so does Seattle apparently.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Huh?

If Zach Allen is there and we take some suck S just to take one I’ll be pizzed. He’s twice the prospect Thornhill is.

Johnny23

Reaction score
I think a lot of us would prefer Savage or CGJ but Thornhill looks like the obvious pick
Seattle really likes him and want to convert him to corner. The new Brandon Browner/Sherman. There's talks they're going to trade down which is their usual M.O. and take Thornhill while stockpiling picks. I don't think Thornhill makes it to us if it's true.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Huh?

Yeah, that’s a bit perplexing.

Do people really think he’ll be playing the “mike” here, lol?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Thornhill is one of this year's sacred cows.

I prefer Rapp, Abram myself.

Abram is the goal...Question is...do we trade draft capital to move up and get him? :popcorn:

Normally...I'd say "No".....but I think I could be talked out of one of my 4ths if it meant getting a starter.:grin:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I’m a huuuge fan of Savage too but I just don’t know how he fits here because I think the team likes Xavier Woods and is looking to put someone next to him.

Personally, I like Woods but I would not think twice about bringing someone in to compete with him for his spot. I’m also of the mind in today’s passing game I would prioritize coverage skills over more classic in-the-box safety skills. That said, having two smaller stature safeties on the field would scare me.

Gaede

Reaction score
I’m a huuuge fan of Savage too but I just don’t know how he fits here because I think the team likes Xavier Woods and is looking to put someone next to him.

Personally, I like Woods but I would not think twice about bringing someone in to compete with him for his spot. I’m also of the mind in today’s passing game I would prioritize coverage skills over more classic in-the-box safety skills. That said, having two smaller stature safeties on the field would scare me.
Yeah, I don't think Savage is in the cards for us, unfortunately

cnuball21

Reaction score
I love Thornhill and completely disagree. Every prospect has bad tape and you could nitpick YouTube videos for everyone.

I really like the versatile options in this draft and feel like he could do A LOT for us.

rickster14

Reaction score
I’m not sure which S I want, but I don’t want Rapp. He ran a 4.76 40 on his pro day (the day tailor made to do your best).

That time would make him slower than our starting LBs. While speed isn’t everything, Rapp’s lack of speed would be a mismatch nightmare for us.

Sydla

Reaction score
Rapp's less versatile than some of the other safeties, but he's a better fit than Thornhill. He has some key traits that they're seeking at SS. I like Abram, but doubt he'd fall that far.

How is Rapp a better fit? It's been said they aren't necessarily looking for a pure box safety. If they truly are looking for a more flexible type safety, that's not Rapp IMO.

Sydla

Reaction score

I swear I read a couple of blurbs saying the Cowboys aren't necessarily looking for a pure box safety ala Church to play next to Woods.

Or maybe I just made that up!