Juan Thornhill - Do Not Want

John813

Reaction score
Hoping we have the chance to take CGJ.
Can play the slot, in the box, and deep safety. Could improve his tackling and recognition, but I think if he can reach his ceiling Richard is a good coach to pair him with.

Thornhill I'm not too high on either, but wouldn't be upset if he was the pick.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
There's not a single safety I'd want at 58, but I like Thornhill more than others.

If you're going to go through game tape and look for bad plays, you can do the same thing with every player in the draft. These guys are college kids, they all have plays with bad angles, poor reactions, etc.

What you draft is upside, and Thornhill has more than any other safety likely to be available there.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I swear I read a couple of blurbs saying the Cowboys aren't necessarily looking for a pure box safety ala Church to play next to Woods.

Or maybe I just made that up!
They aren't, because there isn't a single team in the league who thinks that a pure box safety has any value. If you can't cover, you're not valuable.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Thornhill has some weaknesses that happen to be traits that we're coveting out of a SS though. CGJ is a well-rounded safety who's good at everything.

Rapp's less versatile than some of the other safeties, but he's a better fit than Thornhill. He has some key traits that they're seeking at SS. I like Abram, but doubt he'd fall that far.

IMO, if we drafted Thornhill, he wouldn't play SS. He'd play FS, so the question would be can Woods handle playing SS?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I swear I read a couple of blurbs saying the Cowboys aren't necessarily looking for a pure box safety ala Church to play next to Woods.

Richard seems to prefer more Cover 1 than Cover 2, so there's more of a need for a short-area run-playing safety and a deep coverage safety. I don't think a pure box safety is any coach's desire because there are still lots of coverage responsibilities, but the strong safety does have to be strong in run support, especially the way we played our safeties last year.

Heath was spotty in run support, which led to us signing Iloka. It's supposed to be his strength.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score

They're not looking for a pure box safety because it's not 1977.

Beaker42

Reaction score
There's not a single safety I'd want at 58, but I like Thornhill more than others.

If you're going to go through game tape and look for bad plays, you can do the same thing with every player in the draft. These guys are college kids, they all have plays with bad angles, poor reactions, etc.

What you draft is upside, and Thornhill has more than any other safety likely to be available there.
Not if Savage is still there at 58. He’s far better than Thornhill.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Richard seems to prefer more Cover 1 than Cover 2, so there's more of a need for a short-area run-playing safety and a deep coverage safety. I don't think a pure box safety is any coach's desire because there are still lots of coverage responsibilities, but the strong safety does have to be strong in run support, especially the way we played our safeties last year.

Heath was spotty in run support, which led to us signing Iloka. It's supposed to be his strength.
This is why it makes sense to move Woods to SS and bring in a speedy ballhawk like Savage at FS. Savage can lay the wood too.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
This is why it makes sense to move Woods to SS and bring in a speedy ballhawk like Savage at FS. Savage can lay the wood too.
Appears Cowboys have no interest in Savage at all. They brought in pretty much every safety for a visit but him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've seen Thornhill in the majority of the mocks in this section at #58 and can't understand why. I reviewed his four full games available on YouTube and he has some glaring weaknesses that make him a hard pass for me in the second round.

Vs. Ohio

-1:20 takes a terrible angle, allowing a slow-footed QB to break off a 70 yard run.

-Got cooked for 2 TD's in this game (one he was clearly responsible, second one is debatable), and was a few yards short of allowing a 3rd TD.

-6:42 shows off his bad habit of lunging at a guys' knees/ankles without wrapping up. He does this A LOT. Those weak attempts at tackling will get exposed at the next level.

Vs. Indiana

:54 Painfully slow to react, and allows an RB to go untouched 40 yards for a TD.

3:20 and 3:32 Back to back plays of terrible tackling technique.

Vs. NC State

Just too small to play the Mike and it showed here in the running game. Had a nice TFL, but also took some poor angles, and had another missed tackle that resulted in big TD run. (8:10)

Vs. Miami

Probably his best game out of the 4 full games available on YouTube. Had 2 INT's, but one was an overthrow and one was severely under thrown. Yeah he gets credit for making the plays, but there's a difference between being gifted INT's and creating INT's with play recognition and anticipation.

Summary:
Thornhill is a 3rd round prospect to me. He may have tested better than Darnell Savage and Chauncey Gardner Johnson, but those two are clearly superior on film. He's not as twitchy, instinctive, or well-rounded as the two mentioned above, yet I see him mentioned in the same tier. Maybe some posters are mocking him to us at #58 because it's realistic, seeing how he was a pre-draft visit and there's a good chance he's available at #58. But as far as wanting him at #58? No thanks.

I like that you took time to review some game footage instead of spouting out opinions based just on readiing scouting reports; however, unfortunately your conclusions are way off base on this player.

I’m not a Thornhill fan-boy. I think he is a good player but I also like some of the other Safeties as options at #58, especially CGJ.

Video 1:
The big missed tackle at 1:20 was not on Thornhill. It was on the defender (#34) closer to the QB at the point where the QB cut back.

Keep in mind that Thronhill was in help coverage on the receiver coming across the field and the QB was still behind the line at the point that Thronhill made the cut back in the opposite direction. Either way, the QB went outside of the other defender and Thornhill was on the inside of that defender.

On the TD at 3:53 I can’t see what happened on that play from the Broadcast video. There are 2 WR(s) and 3 DB(s) in the frame at the time the camera pans to the catch.

The tackle at 6:42 does not mean much when projecting him to the NFL. There are plenty of times that he makes form tackles or ankle tackles where he displays strong hands to maintain his grip. The ability to make ankle tackles with strong hands is something that I look for in Safeties and Thronhill has displayed that ability. As long as the player has demonstrated the ability to tackle correctly, NFL coaches will make certain that he uses the correct tackling style consistently.

Video 2:
On the play at 0:54 Thornhill has responsibility for the inside gap. He is required to maintain that gap to allow #13 to get over towards the outside. Also #28 is very slow to react back towards the inside. The big issue with that play was coaching/scheme. They had all 11 defenders aligned within 7 yards from the line of scrimmage.

At 3:20 he makes the tackle. I don’t know why he does not just push the runner out of bounds; however, as long as he’s making the tackle the college coaches probably didn’t say anything about it.

At 3:22 he hit the runner low while another defender already had 1st contact. If he used this style on open-field tackles where there was no immediate help then it would be a problem but in this situation it’s not a big issue.

The Safety Abram made plenty of non wrap-up type tackles but like Thronhill did wrap-up when needed.

Video 3:
It’s a good sign that his coaches had him playing like a LB on some snaps. For a player that some NFL teams reportedly project to CB, the fact that his college coaches respected his ability to play the run enough to put him in that position is a very good sign. It’s especially good for the Cowboys because they would likely need him to play some snaps as the Down Safety in 2019. Obviously he does not have the size to be a full time college LB.

At 8:10 he took the correct angle(s). As the last line of defense defender the play is to force the runner towards the other defender and the sideline. He has to continue his path to intercept the runner at the sideline until the runner cuts back. At worst Thornhill might have been 1 step off from the ideal angle. He got blockedd in the back which would generally get called in the NFL but rarely in college football. It would have been great if he could have made the tackle at the end but the issue was not really a bad angle.

Video 4:
He had 13 INTs in college. Any player with 13 INTs is going to get some of them from deflections or an occasional easy one from a QB mistake.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
I like that you took time to review some game footage instead of spouting out opinions based just on readiing scouting reports; however, unfortunately your conclusions are way off base on this player.

I’m not a Thornhill fan-boy. I think he is a good player but I also like some of the other Safeties as options at #58, especially CGJ.
Thank for taking the time to make a rebuttal X. There is quite a bit of subjectivity when watching film. Show two guys the same video and they can have two different conclusions, such as me and you ;). (Which is why I have a huge issue with PFF)

We're in agreement on CGJ. Seems like everyone in the thread is. But we disagree quite a bit below.
Video 1:
The big missed tackle at 1:20 was not on Thornhill. It was on the defender (#34) closer to the QB at the point where the QB cut back.

Keep in mind that Thronhill was in help coverage on the receiver coming across the field and the QB was still behind the line at the point that Thronhill made the cut back in the opposite direction. Either way, the QB went outside of the other defender and Thornhill was on the inside of that defender.

On the TD at 3:53 I can’t see what happened on that play from the Broadcast video. There are 2 WR(s) and 3 DB(s) in the frame at the time the camera pans to the catch.

The tackle at 6:42 does not mean much when projecting him to the NFL. There are plenty of times that he makes form tackles or ankle tackles where he displays strong hands to maintain his grip. The ability to make ankle tackles with strong hands is something that I look for in Safeties and Thronhill has displayed that ability. As long as the player has demonstrated the ability to tackle correctly, NFL coaches will make certain that he uses the correct tackling style consistently.
At 1:20, I didn't say he missed a tackle. I said he took a poor angle. If he had widened out, he would've beat the QB to the sideline and met him around the 50.

Also if he had better play recognition, he could've made the tackle MUCH sooner. The QB took off with intentions to run rather early and Thornill was still worried about his zone instead of pursuing the QB. That half-second to second late of diagnosing the play late mattered. He ended up going in the wrong direction, slipping, then taking a poor angle in pursuit. I have no doubt that a guy like CGJ(and a few others) would've recognized the QB was taking off earlier, ditched their zone, and tackled the QB way before he had any chance of running for 70.

at :17 of this video you can see how late Thornhill is in recognizing that the QB is taking off. Also, at :55 in the same video, you get a different angle of the TD that occurred at 3:53 in the other video. You can see that Thornhill is at least partially to blame for allowing the TD. That was just one of 2 (nearly 3 TD's) he gave up in this game.

Disagree on the tackling form. He lunges at offensive players' lower bodies without wrapping up FAR too frequently, and he doesn't have the strength/power as some of the other safeties in this class (like an Abram) to get away with it.

Video 2:
On the play at 0:54 Thornhill has responsibility for the inside gap. He is required to maintain that gap to allow #13 to get over towards the outside. Also #28 is very slow to react back towards the inside. The big issue with that play was coaching/scheme. They had all 11 defenders aligned within 7 yards from the line of scrimmage.

At 3:20 he makes the tackle. I don’t know why he does not just push the runner out of bounds; however, as long as he’s making the tackle the college coaches probably didn’t say anything about it.

At 3:22 he hit the runner low while another defender already had 1st contact. If he used this style on open-field tackles where there was no immediate help then it would be a problem but in this situation it’s not a big issue.

The Safety Abram made plenty of non wrap-up type tackles but like Thronhill did wrap-up when needed.
Yeah, we're gonna disagree on the play at :54. #17 run blitzed the inside gap at the snap. #37(?) had responsibility on the strongside. #13 was lined up as stand up DE on the weakside. #28 was responsible for containing the jet sweep.

That left Thornhill in the remaining gap to make the play, and he was just too slow to react and move laterally to do anything.

3:20 & 3:32 is just poor technique X.

Video 3:
It’s a good sign that his coaches had him playing like a LB on some snaps. For a player that some NFL teams reportedly project to CB, the fact that his college coaches respected his ability to play the run enough to put him in that position is a very good sign. It’s especially good for the Cowboys because they would likely need him to play some snaps as the Down Safety in 2019. Obviously he does not have the size to be a full time college LB.

At 8:10 he took the correct angle(s). As the last line of defense defender the play is to force the runner towards the other defender and the sideline. He has to continue his path to intercept the runner at the sideline until the runner cuts back. At worst Thornhill might have been 1 step off from the ideal angle. He got blockedd in the back which would generally get called in the NFL but rarely in college football. It would have been great if he could have made the tackle at the end but the issue was not really a bad angle.
Just because a team utilizes a player in a particular way doesn't mean that's an area that the player excels at.

C'mon X, you did a whole breakdown on our safeties and should know that first hand, seeing how we had Heath out of position at SS last year. Not because he's great at tackling, disengaging from blocks, or taking great angles, but because he was the best option they had. That had to be the case with Thornhill playing LB for UVA, because playing in the box is NOT his strong suit.

For this game, the poor angles comment was referring to other plays throughout the game. The play at 8:10 I was highlighting the missed tackle that led to a first and goal, not a poor angle. He actually did take a good angle on this play. But that missed tackle was the difference between 1st and 10 outside the red zone, and 1st and goal (which resulted in a TD).

Video 4:
He had 13 INTs in college. Any player with 13 INTs is going to get some of them from deflections or an occasional easy one from a QB mistake.
I can only speak on the INT's that I did see from the four games in 2018.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score

This team made it VERY clear that they want a safety at #58. Of course every player has his warts, but I want the best safety available at #58. And it's not Thornhill.

They're not looking for a pure box safety because it's not 1977.
Cowboys were interested in Clayton Geathers, Eric Berry, and Iloka in free agency. All guys who would play in the box for this team. They've brought in prototypical box safeties like Abram and Rapp for visits. They might not be looking solely for a "box" guy, but they sure do want a guy that has box safety strengths. Especially with absence of a guy like Darnell Savage as a pre-draft visitor, who ran a 4.3 and was a team captain.

Last edited: