News: Julio Jones: a scary scenario

Knotamus

Reaction score
https://www.nfl.com/news/julio-jones-on-future-with-falcons-i-m-out-of-there

After reading the recent article on NFL.com about Julio Jones wanting to be traded, I thought of a scenario that would definitely worry me. The article goes on to list the 11 teams that have legitimate cap space to pull off this deal. The one team that I absolutely would not want to obtain Jones’s services.. The Washington Football Team.

WFT already has top 5, if not the top defense in the league.. not to mention they added a 1st Rd LBer in Jamin Davis. Basically, they got stronger.

There biggest weakness was offense, more specifically.. the QB. Now they added a veteran. Yea, I know some folks aren’t worried ab Fitzpatrick and to a certain extent, neither am I. Yet Fitzpatrick is streaky and can be unstoppable at times, exp if he has WRs that can bail out his ‘gun slinging’ style of play. With that defense, all Ryan has to be is adequate.

Food for thought: With 36yo veteran Alex Smith at the helm.. WFT record was 5-1. With young guys Haskins and Allen.. they were 2-8.

They already have McLaurin and added Curtis Samuel. Plus they’ve added a 3rd Rd WR. So they have been trying to upgrade the position. If WFT added Julio Jones to the group.. suddenly that offense is looking formidable and that team is looking pretty solid.

They beefed up the OL via Trades/FA/Draft, they have a budding star RB in Gibson (who played backup behind Pollard in college btw), and TE Logan Thomas had a breakout year last season as one of the primary targets.

Look, I don’t want to talk positive about the Skins.. but at the moment.. they are the division champs and have improved as it seems. I just hope Jones doesn’t land there, as he would totally change the look of that offense.

OK.. someone please talk me off the ledge. Thank you in advance.

Secondly.. of the 11 teams listed in the article, which team do you think benefits more trading for Julio Jones? (If it’s not WFT)

JayFord

Reaction score
theyre 7-9 and got to the playoffs off their defensive line which as a unit is the best in the nfl

their secondary and lbs are suspect as we saw in the wild card and early in the season where their line wasnt being dominant every game

also their defensive line which no doubt is awesome feasted on teams that had alot of backups(ours twice and Philly).....Tampa Bay absolutely manhandled their defensive line also Cleveland did as well......

im not saying Wft isnt going to do damage this season but honestly cmon now theyre the same as us they have one sucessful year and go to the playoffs and take 15 steps back......

their offense isnt good at all they didnt run the ball well (Gibson had double digit tds and 600+ yards and more than 200 of those yards came against dallas) are they just a qb away from nfc title game contention? well who isnt? but lets see what they do but they arent a team that scares me

they were also handed the division....you keep Hurts in the last game and its possible NY wins the division at 6-10

TWOK11

Reaction score
Why would they waste premium assets acquiring an aging, injury prone receiver when they don’t have a championship caliber QB yet?

Right now they are building a solid roster and waiting for a QB to come along. But “all in” moves are reserved for times when you think you’re one or two players away from a title. Without a QB, they ain’t that.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

After reading the recent article on NFL.com about Julio Jones wanting to be traded, I thought of a scenario that would definitely worry me. The article goes on to list the 11 teams that have legitimate cap space to pull off this deal. The one team that I absolutely would not want to obtain Jones’s services.. The Washington Football Team.

WFT already has top 5, if not the top defense in the league.. not to mention they added a 1st Rd LBer in Jamin Davis. Basically, they got stronger.

There biggest weakness was offense, more specifically.. the QB. Now they added a veteran. Yea, I know some folks aren’t worried ab Fitzpatrick and to a certain extent, neither am I. Yet Fitzpatrick is streaky and can be unstoppable at times, exp if he has WRs that can bail out his ‘gun slinging’ style of play. With that defense, all Ryan has to be is adequate.

Food for thought: With 36yo veteran Alex Smith at the helm.. WFT record was 5-1. With young guys Haskins and Allen.. they were 2-8.

They already have McLaurin and added Curtis Samuel. Plus they’ve added a 3rd Rd WR. So they have been trying to upgrade the position. If WFT added Julio Jones to the group.. suddenly that offense is looking formidable and that team is looking pretty solid.

They beefed up the OL via Trades/FA/Draft, they have a budding star RB in Gibson (who played backup behind Pollard in college btw), and TE Logan Thomas had a breakout year last season as one of the primary targets.

Look, I don’t want to talk positive about the Skins.. but at the moment.. they are the division champs and have improved as it seems. I just hope Jones doesn’t land there, as he would totally change the look of that offense.

Secondly.. of the 11 teams listed in the article, which team do you think benefits more trading for Julio Jones? (If it’s not WFT)
Deadskins Stink !
That's it, that's my post.

DFWJC

Reaction score

I'd prefer he didn't go there, unless they give up a ton.

With Washington, the question is can their offense be better than our defense.

Their defense is certainly as good as our offense. Both should be top 5 this year in yards and scoring, you would think.

JayFord

Reaction score
Also them trading for a qb like Watson or Rodgers wouldnt bother me

no ones trading elite qbs and not asking Washington for a generous portion of their Dline

Knotamus

Reaction score
I hope Julio Jones does go to the WFT. Give us some real competition in this division. Make the division championship mean something. Stop being so scared and have some faith in the improvements being made to your own team.

Right.. Scared. [sarcasm]

So, please elaborate on how far that “faith in improvements” has gotten us in the last two decades?.. I’ll wait.

Besides, this is a forum. Just talking to talk, is kinda what forums are about... so calm down.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Right.. Scared. [sarcasm]

So, please elaborate on how far that “faith in improvements” has gotten us in the last two decades?.. I’ll wait.

Besides, this is a forum. Just talking to talk, is kinda what forums are about... so calm down.
Keep waiting because I'm not playing that game, child. If you want to deny improvements to this team, then that's on you.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
@Knotamus Why would you worry about any defense when you gave Dak ($40M), Cooper (20M), Elliott ($15M), Collins ($10M), Smith ($10M), and Martin ($10M)? Seriously, what more do you want? Ok, throw in Gallup, Lamb, Pollard, Jarwin, and Schultz.

Is Dak not at least 4 times better than Fitzpatrick? $40M schmackers vs $10M schmackers? That is why you pay the man. Right?

Now, what defense exactly are you afraid of? You don’t see Dak laying 40-burgers on every defense? Why not?

Someone else posted here the WFT defense played well against garbage teams and not good against good teams. I don’t see the WFT as jolly green giants.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Fitzpatrick is streaky, but he's a downgrade from Alex Smith. Smith is a career 62.9 percent passer with 199 TDs and 109 ints. and an 86.9 rating. Fitzpatrick is a career 60.72 percent passer with 223 TDs and 169 ints. and an 82.3 rating.

Fitzpatrick is good in small doses but average if he's the long-term starter. Smith was capable of 90 and 100 ratings for a full season. Playing a full season, Fitzpatrick never had a rating in the 90s or 100s.

Washington's defense is definitely its strength, and maybe it's good enough to carry an aging quarterback who has been a mediocre starter, but the former Commanders did not get better at a very key position and that may hold them back this year.

plasticman

Reaction score
Fitz doesn't last 6 games, Julio only played 9 games last season, the Falcons know more than anyone and they are willing to see him go despite a "dream" scenario of a Jones/Pitts receiving dynamo. Something is wrong.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
I posted in another thread that I really wanted to root for the skids this year and this is the type of move that would get them out ahead of Philadelphia.