CFZ Julius Jones/Marion Barber vs. Zeke/Pollard

Jumbo075

Reaction score
In 2007, the Cowboys had the best record in the NFC by starting Julius Jones, and having Marion Barber come off the bench in the 2nd and 4th quarters. A whole lot of people said that Barber was a better RB than Jones, and that Barber should start instead. Barber even made the Pro Bowl that year instead of Jones.

In a brain dead move, instead of sticking with the winning formula that worked all year, the Cowboys under Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett decided to start Barber in the playoffs. He had almost 100 yards in the first half against the Giants, and then disappeared in the 2nd half. The Cowboys, after beating the Giants twice in the regular season, lost in the playoffs. The Giants went on to win the Super Bowl that season.

This year, instead of sticking with a winning formula of using BOTH Zeke and Pollard, some fans think Pollard should be the full-time starter. They want to change out the recipe of using both players to wear down the opposing defenses. There may be some merit to cutting Zeke next offseason, and signing Pollard to a new contract before he hits the free agent market in March. But for now, Cowboys fans need to calm down. The Combination of Zeke and Pollard has led to winning more often than losing. McCarthy says they look at Zeke and Pollard as 1A and 1B. They are Both #1 RB's, and the Cowboys are fortunate to have such a strong team of RB's to use this year.

My opinion - Enjoy both RB's this year, and let's wait until March to make a decision about next year. Pollard and Zeke splitting 25-35 carries a game is working. Don't mess with success.

EST_1986

Reaction score
In 2007, the Cowboys had the best record in the NFC by starting Julius Jones, and having Marion Barber come off the bench in the 2nd and 4th quarters. A whole lot of people said that Barber was a better RB than Jones, and that Barber should start instead. Barber even made the Pro Bowl that year instead of Jones.

In a brain dead move, instead of sticking with the winning formula that worked all year, the Cowboys under Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett decided to start Barber in the playoffs. He had almost 100 yards in the first half against the Giants, and then disappeared in the 2nd half. The Cowboys, after beating the Giants twice in the regular season, lost in the playoffs. The Giants went on to win the Super Bowl that season.

This year, instead of sticking with a winning formula of using BOTH Zeke and Pollard, some fans think Pollard should be the full-time starter. They want to change out the recipe of using both players to wear down the opposing defenses. There may be some merit to cutting Zeke next offseason, and signing Pollard to a new contract before he hits the free agent market in March. But for now, Cowboys fans need to calm down. The Combination of Zeke and Pollard has led to winning more often than losing. McCarthy says they look at Zeke and Pollard as 1A and 1B. They are Both #1 RB's, and the Cowboys are fortunate to have such a strong team of RB's to use this year.

My opinion - Enjoy both RB's this year, and let's wait until March to make a decision about next year. Pollard and Zeke splitting 25-35 carries a game is working. Don't mess with success.
Pollard should just get like 30% more touches than he’s getting now dude is just flat out a game changer that Zeke isn’t

and today the run game was actually a bright spot

rags747

Reaction score

Barber didn’t disappear in the 2nd half vs the Giants, the OL fell apart once the Giants defense started to show up.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I'd go with trying to get Pollard around the same amount of touches as he got in this game (14-15_ and supplement that with Elliott pounding away at defenses. The reason for that is Pollard's home run ability. We need to make sure he gets enough chances to break one.

He's had 12-13-carry games this season, but more under 10. That part needs to change. Otherwise, I agree on splitting.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I have posted about the brain dead decision to change up the running back rotation back in 2007.. but it goes back farther than that.. This fan base thought Troy Hambrick was suited to replace Emmitt Smith.. It's a stupid "debate" and always has been. We have a winning formula.. Some games Pollard will shine, other games it will be Zeke.. As long as the Cowboys win, we should all be happy. Yet there are these people who for whatever reason can't enjoy success and always gotta be interjecting the negative .. I'm REALLY glad I don't go through life that way. I thank God every day that He didn't wire me like those people.

DuceizBak

Reaction score
Both of them are starting RB's.
I seen runs Pollard had where Zeke usually breaks through first contact and gets extra yards.

Someone said this and it makes sense.
If a run is designed for 2 yards, Zeke will get 5 and Pollard will get 2. If a run is blocked perfectly where Zeke would get 15 yards, Pollard would get 30.

They both play on our team, I don't care whose better they both help us win. They're not QBs they can both contribute.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'd go with trying to get Pollard around the same amount of touches as he got in this game (14-15_ and supplement that with Elliott pounding away at defenses. The reason for that is Pollard's home run ability. We need to make sure he gets enough chances to break one.

Our oline is best at run blocking.
What I liked today was getting *other* players involved in the run game - Dak, Turpin, Lamb. I hope that wasn't just a "Zeke was out" thing. I'd like to see that for the rest of the year.