Just a Reminder: PFF 2021 Final Offensive Line Ranking

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I hate how much I defend PFF on here as I openly admit they are heavily faulted, but for some on here see PFF and instantly go to straight hate.

PFF is actually a phenomenal tool, but you cant take it as absolute fact, and you have to actually look at what is being measured.

It would appear that PFF only lists the starting 5 for each team. So is Tyron Smith's score of 91.9 being weighed the same as someone who played a full season? Do these rankings count for Connor McGovern's horrible starts? PFF's scoring system also mentions nothing about grading penalties. These are just some of the possible flaws here, but again with PFF rarely is the whole picture being shown so we have to judge it for what it is.

The cool thing about PFF is every team and every player is being graded the same way, so it does give us a snapshot at where the Cowboys are relatively speaking to other teams units without a ton of subjective opinions. You just jump down to some of the other scores, and once you get past the top 7 or so scores start to get really ugly. Even before that point nearly every team has their weak spots on the line.

I agree fully that the Cowboys are not deserving of the #1 spot, but these rankings are really more telling about how bad Oline play is around the league than how great the Cowboys were in 2021. Context is everything.

kskboys

Reaction score
Just scrolling through some of the grades for all teams and not really sure how they come up with these scores. For example: Connor Williams 76.4 and then I compare it to Brandon Scherff 73.7 or Quinton Nelson who most pundits say is on a HOF path 69.8? My eyes tell me something is a miss here. Doesnt seem like Philbon who was Connor Williams position coach lost a whole lot of sleep about him moving on. I dont understand what the criteria is.
I think they were both hurt last season.

kskboys

Reaction score
The Cowboys ranking isnt really accurate as they had two outliers in Smith & Martin who scored a 90+

Also we need to keep in mind that Oline play wasn't just an issue in Dallas, Oline play around the league has been trending down as Dlineman continue to get freakishly athletic and defenses continue to get more exotic.
And another factor, teams are dropping back to pass profusely, which means the DL can just pin their ears back and rush w/o worrying about draws too much.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
Can anyone explain why Philly is number 1 after losing all pro Brandon Brooks?
Did read an article about the LT they got in the 7th round who never even tried on a helmet before being drafted and saying he's an emerging star. Crazy if you think about it.
Jordan Mailata is pretty good for never having played a single snap before getting drafted. The Eagles probably have the best line coach in the business which helped him.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So let's say they are wrong and they weren't the best line last year. Where do you guys rank them? Personally, I'd say they were somewhere in the 4-7 range.

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
Jordan Mailata is pretty good for never having played a single snap before getting drafted. The Eagles probably have the best line coach in the business which helped him.

pretty amazing story... draft a dude who never played the sport from a foreign country who actually looks to be a star.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
We had the #1 Pass blocking team in the league last year based on efficiency & pressure rate, it's a fact not an opinion.
Dak started holding the ball too long and the #1 offense fell apart.

We don't know what the reason was but Dak went from getting it out in 2.4 secs at midseason (2nd to Brady) to over 3 .5 - 4 secs, worst in the league

This doesn't account for penalties which were terrible last year
Things changed against the Broncos. They realized the running game wasn't going to beat them and started playing coverage. That made it much tougher to find the open man besides just dumping it off.

terra

Reaction score
I hate how much I defend PFF on here as I openly admit they are heavily faulted, but for some on here see PFF and instantly go to straight hate.

PFF is actually a phenomenal tool, but you cant take it as absolute fact, and you have to actually look at what is being measured.

It would appear that PFF only lists the starting 5 for each team. So is Tyron Smith's score of 91.9 being weighed the same as someone who played a full season? Do these rankings count for Connor McGovern's horrible starts? PFF's scoring system also mentions nothing about grading penalties. These are just some of the possible flaws here, but again with PFF rarely is the whole picture being shown so we have to judge it for what it is.

The cool thing about PFF is every team and every player is being graded the same way, so it does give us a snapshot at where the Cowboys are relatively speaking to other teams units without a ton of subjective opinions. You just jump down to some of the other scores, and once you get past the top 7 or so scores start to get really ugly. Even before that point nearly every team has their weak spots on the line.

I agree fully that the Cowboys are not deserving of the #1 spot, but these rankings are really more telling about how bad Oline play is around the league than how great the Cowboys were in 2021. Context is everything.
so how much are they paying you to spout this drivel?
PFF has been exposed several times as nothing but a click bait joke by professionals.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Weird. I thought the Cowboys had a horrific o-line if you believed what some assert on here. Go figure.

You would think Prescott barely has time to catch the ball before having to throw it!
Dak didn't. Go watch the games.

PFF just lost all credibility. Their "nerds" suck at evaluating.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean common now it's not like Dak or Zeke are playing behind future HOF or no 1 picks on our offline all these years.:muttley:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess ranking 11th in rush ypc, 13th in sacks and 1st in penalties doesn't enter into it?

PFF is for people who do not watch football or those that don't know how.