Just curious about the money we dont spend

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Maliek Collins is a FA next year.

I believe Jaylon should be an RFA next year.

Just for estimates:

Dak $30m = $30m
DLaw $25m = $55m
Cooper $17 million = $72m
Byron $15 million = $87 million
5th year option on Zeke $10 million = $97 mllion
Jaylon 1st round tender RFA $5million = $102million

All the big contracts are taking into account AVG salary, with Dak and DLaw at extreme high amounts just for comparison's sake. Also doesn't take into account guys like Cooper and Byron will have lower 1st year cap hits due to signing bonuses.

I don't know what we do with Zeke, but 5th year + tag is going to be over $20m guaranteed, a second tag would push it to around $35m guaranteed. I'm just going to assume, for cap purposes, we take the 5th year option for now.

If Jaylon goes crazy this year, someone might want to trade a 1st for him. I don't know, but 1st round tender price is going to be 4.5-5m. Not too bad. We may want to lock him up sooner just to avoid insane inflation if we want to keep him long-term, but there's a lot of space to maneuver.

Really, worst case we're looking at about $25m in cap next year without any rollover or cap increases. Realistically, between those things and natural contract structures $40m in projected space is probably more what we're looking at.

Jaylon wont be a RFA next year because he sat out his first.

And i dont believe we will spend that kind of money on those players.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Ok so we are not doing much beside resigning our backups for peanuts. What happens to the cap we have left over?

I'm assuming we may save a good amount even if we resign tank and others, without signing any FA.

Does that money rollover into the next season cap?

Maybe the cowboys can have a FA splash in 2020!

that is why it makes sense to spend like crazy for a few years and then tank like crazy for 1-2 years

Brooksey

Reaction score
Just SMH.

Is there anything up there?

I like the fiscal discipline, they're sticking with the plan to clean up the cap and sign our own top players. After 20 years of cap and FA failure were almost in great shape where can sign a few names EVERY year. This is not the year, sorry man, I'd like ET just like anyone else, we're a year away. We could get a late mid-range guy.

Next year is the year to sign a big name and then each year thereafter we should be players in FA If they stick with what they're doing.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Theres not gonna be much cap leftover after we sign our own. In fact they will have to restructure people just to sign our own

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Players not currently counting against the 2020 cap:
DLaw
Dak
Zeke
Cooper
B.Jones
Jaylon

Starting 3-tech DT (when healthy) M.Collins
Starting 1-tech DT A.Woods
Starting RT
Starting SS
Starting Nickel (slot) CB

OverTheCap does not have Tavon Austin's contract in the system yet.

Also several key backups like Looney are not under contract for 2020.

If they did a pay as you go and charged each of the above players average to the cap, then 125M might not cover it.
you can't be serious

If you really believed that they would be preparing now

They would restructure Tron and ZMartin and create 15m
They would extend DLaw and ACooper and save 17m
They would have cut AHurns, SLee and Witten and saved 16m

That is another 48m they could roll over

and all those deals you listed will cost around 60m in the first year

DAL is quietly preparing for the lockout after 2020 and keeping their guaranteed commitments low

Last edited:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Stephen is under the impression that any unused cap room is directly deposited into his bank account.

His words ("pressure to take the next step") and his actions (inactions really) don't exactly match.
technically it does.....cap space not spent is cash saved

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You guys do realize the main reason they rolled over cash is to be able to resign all the big guys we have right, you can’t honestly be naive enough to think that jerry is pocketing a few million instead of using it on Fas....this is a long term play to keep the core of the team together for as long as possible.

Stop with the jerry is pocketing it nonsense
It could be that he cant, by rule they have to spend the cap each year at some point, so that the owners cant get too cheap
with players. The player union wants the cap each year to go to players.
This would include raises in minimum wages for the low end players and bkups.
They can roll $ over but at some point it will be spent on players.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you can't be serious

DAL is quietly preparing for the lockout after 2020 and keeping their guaranteed commitments low

Obviously they will push money forward.

My point was that the average for each of those first 7 players will add up to over 100M per.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
There are 2 ways to look at the extensions they are considering:

1. By locking up guys ahead of when they are UFAs-- you can get them for less than their contracts would be worth if you waited for the market to set the rate.
2. By locking guys up early, you handcuff yourself from adding any additional elite talent to help you win now with the window you have with Dak and Zeke playing on their rookie deals.

The Dallas FO is obviously going with #1. Signing Dak now for $25mil per year may in fact look like a good deal when QBs are signing for $30mil + in 2 years. IMO-- they have a unique opportunity to compete now and it is well worth risking taking on a couple of big FAs in order to improve the roster and compete now. I don't believe the talent on this current roster is good enough to contend for a SB as it stands.

SJ is wanting to play it conservatively and protect the future cap figures-- but IMO, he is grossly over-estimating the talent we have. Just signing your own guys keeps the status quo-- it does not improve your roster. You end up counting on the improvement coming from player development-- which boils down to coaching, and that makes us too dependent on our weaknesses.

It is maddening to watch them mishandle the team year after year and know that we are in for the same results we have been seeing for 23+ years. I don't see them turning the corner this year unfortunately. Other teams have gotten noticeably better... I think we are looking at another 8-8, 9-7 type campaign and the only silver lining is a change at HC.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The apple don't fall very far from the tree.................with Jerry and Stephen both, you'll be much closer to the truth if you believe the exact opposite of what they say.
So, the Cowboys actually are going to spend a lot of money on outside free agamts?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Obviously they will push money forward.

My point was that the average for each of those first 7 players will add up to over 100M per.
But they won't count that much Year One and they don't have to do everyone next year

Zeke can be tagged in 2021....JSmith is an RFA in 2020

BJones is no lock for a huge deal here

MCollins is a JAG
LCollins is likely gone

I just know you are too knowledgeable to buy the Team spiel that 125m isn't enough

Mobinvans

Reaction score
The money goes to the same players that won us nothing last year

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
You guys do realize the main reason they rolled over cash is to be able to resign all the big guys we have right, you can’t honestly be naive enough to think that jerry is pocketing a few million instead of using it on Fas....this is a long term play to keep the core of the team together for as long as possible.

Yes sir,,, nobody seems to actually understand this.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Stephen is under the impression that any unused cap room is directly deposited into his bank account.

His words ("pressure to take the next step") and his actions (inactions really) don't exactly match.

Maybe the next step he was referring to had something to do with his net worth?

bsbellomy

Reaction score

I'll believe it when I see it. They are already low balling tank. They also low balled Beasley so as far as I'm concerned they haven't proven at all that resigning their own guys is a priority over saving money.

There is absolutely nothing in the last 10 years to support what you said.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
you can't be serious

Ive been keeping that thought in my back pocket,, but you are 20/20 here.

glimmerman

Reaction score
We will see some big contacts done soon. The money is already spent.