Just curious about the money we dont spend

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Yes sir,,, nobody seems to actually understand this.
We are one of 3 teams that are under the 89% Cash Spending Floor

There is no huge spending spree coming.... they are trying to hide how much space they actually have

They are even low-balling our own guys or DLaw and ACooper would have extensions by now instead of huge Cap Hits of 20m and 14m

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
We are one of 3 teams that are under the 89% Cash Spending Floor

There is no huge spending spree coming.... they are trying to hide how much space they actually have

They are even low-balling our own guys or DLaw and ACooper would have extensions by now instead of huge Cap Hits of 20m and 14m
Im going to "Jerry Jones" it also, and Im cancelling my DTV season ticket for the next 2 years.
Its a tank job, to grab a ring when all the smoke clears.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
FS- EThomas 7m cap hit
RB- Tevin Coleman 3.6m cap hit
DT- Malik Jackson 2.8m cap hit

we couldn't afford these guys???

blueblood70

Reaction score
ok for the 16th time in 4 days , THE LEAGUE YEAR HAS JUST BEGUN, THE BIG MONEY IS GOING TO BE USED ON THE PLAYERS ALREADY MENTIONED. NEGOTITAITNG IS BEING DONE BEHIND THE SCENES!! theres 6 months until game 1 and all the overreaction to FA and contracts and all the nonsense fans should never worry about..

Money being spent on who and when has nothing to do with football as fans perspective.. you guys know absolutely squat about the operations of football team.. its being handled behind the scenes and we will never know until a press release happens on the details..f they were spending enough of their cap , the league would step in, having 10mil left over from one season into the next is like us finding 25bucks in a pants pocket after washing and not knowing we had it..it would not have helped one bit and for sure will eb used.. the Cowboys and us for that matter know damn well that 5-6 players contracts coming up will eat it all up, period add the draft and few tier 3 FAS to what fill some small holes from last year and its gone..the big spending teams most of them anyway are turds, they have and had huge holes to fill and were not where we were last year..

we made it to the second round last year and theres no need to whine and gripe and just be miserable daily until the team and the plan actually fails..

just concentrate on football..I surely cant with to have games to debate because this is getting beyond giant migraine.

SO AGAIN YOU ARE DEAD WRONG TO THINK A BILLION DOLLAR CORPORATION FULL OF REAL OFFICERS DONT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND SOMEHOW YOU ALL DO....? REALLY:lmao::facepalm:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But they won't count that much Year One and they don't have to do everyone next year

Zeke can be tagged in 2021....JSmith is an RFA in 2020

BJones is no lock for a huge deal here

MCollins is a JAG
LCollins is likely gone

I just know you are too knowledgeable to buy the Team spiel that 125m isn't enough

My primary point is that total cap space by itself does not provide enough details.

Two teams can have the same amount of cap space but the effective cap space can be radically different.

If the top 7 players total 100M per year on 5 year contracts starting in 2019, but the total cap hit is 25M for year 1 and 25M for year 2, that leaves 450M of cap hits to absorb over the final 3 years.

If you make the cap hits 25M per for 4 years then that's 400M in year 5.

Obviously it can be pushed past year 5 for players that get extensions but in general looking at the average pay per year gives a better indication of the impact on the cap than just looking at the year 1 cap hits.

I think of it as "Burn Rate". The true average paid to a player indicates the burn rate in regards to the cap.

The true average being the total paid to a player on a contract divided by the total years played on that contract. The advertised average is not always the same as the true average. The DT Thorton signed a couple of years ago was going to average around 4M but ended up playing 1 year and getting 9.5M which made his true average 9.5M.

We don't know the exact true average until the contract is over; however, the average-average (average of 53 players average pay) should come out close to the advertised average(s).

The true average for the entire team needs to fit under the cap; otherwise the overage will continue to build up.

Obviously the cap has increased every year which means for 5 years with 8% increase per, it's:
Year 1 C1=Cap
Year 2 C2=108%*C1
Year 3 C3=108%*C2
Year 4 C4=108%*C3
Year 5 C5=108%*C4

The player's true average on a 5 year contract needs to fit within the average of C1 to C5.

As we discussed years ago a team could operate indefinitely in an over the cap condition up to a limited overage; however, the true average of all contracts needs to fit within the running-average of the NFL cap.

I would like to see a site like OTC define terms to give a better comparison of effective cap space; although it would be difficult to create an exact definition because it would need to use projected cap hits to players not under contract the following year.

The projected true average for Dak would be something like 25M starting in 2020. The projected true average for DLaw would be about 20M.

If I could see the projected true average for each player on the current roster not under contract in 2020, then I would have a better feel for the cap space available for outside free agents and it would be easier to see the impact of giving new contracts to existing players.

I know the team has something similar defined for looking at their true projected cap status for future years.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
ok for the 16th time in 4 days , THE LEAGUE YEAR HAS JUST BEGUN, THE BIG MONEY IS GOING TO BE USED ON THE PLAYERS ALREADY MENTIONED. NEGOTITAITNG IS BEING DONE BEHIND THE SCENES!! theres 6 months until game 1 and all the overreaction to FA and contracts and all the nonsense fans should never worry about..

Money being spent on who and when has nothing to do with football as fans perspective.. you guys know absolutely squat about the operations of football team.. its being handled behind the scenes and we will never know until a press release happens on the details..f they were spending enough of their cap , the league would step in, having 10mil left over from one season into the next is like us finding 25bucks in a pants pocket after washing and not knowing we had it..it would not have helped one bit and for sure will eb used.. the Cowboys and us for that matter know damn well that 5-6 players contracts coming up will eat it all up, period add the draft and few tier 3 FAS to what fill some small holes from last year and its gone..the big spending teams most of them anyway are turds, they have and had huge holes to fill and were not where we were last year..

we made it to the second round last year and theres no need to whine and gripe and just be miserable daily until the team and the plan actually fails..

just concentrate on football..I surely cant with to have games to debate because this is getting beyond giant migraine.

SO AGAIN YOU ARE DEAD WRONG TO THINK A BILLION DOLLAR CORPORATION FULL OF REAL OFFICERS DONT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND SOMEHOW YOU ALL DO....? REALLY:lmao::facepalm:

Awesome, good post

DFWJC

Reaction score
Ok so we are not doing much beside resigning our backups for peanuts. What happens to the cap we have left over?

I'm assuming we may save a good amount even if we resign tank and others, without signing any FA.

Does that money rollover into the next season cap?

Maybe the cowboys can have a FA splash in 2020!
On a side note
We have probably 250-300 million (or more) in contracts sitting out there for guys like Dak, Zeke, Lawrence, Cooper and others.
So that money IS going to be spent

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
My primary point is that total cap space by itself does not provide enough details.

Two teams can have the same amount of cap space but the effective cap space can be radically different.

If the top 7 players total 100M per year on 5 year contracts starting in 2019, but the total cap hit is 25M for year 1 and 25M for year 2, that leaves 450M of cap hits to absorb over the final 3 years.

If you make the cap hits 25M per for 4 years then that's 400M in year 5.

Obviously it can be pushed past year 5 for players that get extensions but in general looking at the average pay per year gives a better indication of the impact on the cap than just looking at the year 1 cap hits.

I think of it as "Burn Rate". The true average paid to a player indicates the burn rate in regards to the cap.

The true average being the total paid to a player on a contract divided by the total years played on that contract. The advertised average is not always the same as the true average. The DT Thorton signed a couple of years ago was going to average around 4M but ended up playing 1 year and getting 9.5M which made his true average 9.5M.

We don't know the exact true average until the contract is over; however, the average-average (average of 53 players average pay) should come out close to the advertised average(s).

The true average for the entire team needs to fit under the cap; otherwise the overage will continue to build up.

Obviously the cap has increased every year which means for 5 years with 8% increase per, it's:
Year 1 C1=Cap
Year 2 C2=108%*C1
Year 3 C3=108%*C2
Year 4 C4=108%*C3
Year 5 C5=108%*C4

The player's true average on a 5 year contract needs to fit within the average of C1 to C5.

As we discussed years ago a team could operate indefinitely in an over the cap condition up to a limited overage; however, the true average of all contracts needs to fit within the running-average of the NFL cap.

I would like to see a site like OTC define terms to give a better comparison of effective cap space; although it would be difficult to create an exact definition because it would need to use projected cap hits to players not under contract the following year.

The projected true average for Dak would be something like 25M starting in 2020. The projected true average for DLaw would be about 20M.

If I could see the projected true average for each player on the current roster not under contract in 2020, then I would have a better feel for the cap space available for outside free agents and it would be easier to see the impact of giving new contracts to existing players.

I know the team has something similar defined for looking at their true projected cap status for future years.
You are right about the Cash over Cap spending.... the work you did a few years ago showed that spending 50% above the cap was sustainable indefinitely

Teams need to take a more analytic approach to the cap and see that spending huge money now on players like 20m on DLaw and 14m on ACooper when there cap hits could be half of that is much much worse than taking some Dead Money hits years down the road

People point to ABrown with PITT and his 21m dead money hit but they fail to mention that they rolled over 18m from last year which all but nullifies the dead money and they got the surplus from restructuring AB..... they wanted to use the money on LBell to help them NOW, not in the future

DAL had 19m in Dead money with Romo and his sudden retirement but they don't tell you DAL cleared or saved 34m on the cap AFTER accounting for the Dead Money

Same with Dez.... he was cut after 3 years of his 5 year deal and they saved 17m on the cap AFTER accounting for 8m in Dead Money

DAL acts like GB or CIN instead the ATM Machine they really are.... they have 800m in revenues

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Ok so we are not doing much beside resigning our backups for peanuts. What happens to the cap we have left over?

I'm assuming we may save a good amount even if we resign tank and others, without signing any FA.

:facepalm: No there’s the apparently little known fact that we need to sign our own free agents like Lawerence and take care of the future with Dak, Zeke, J. Smith, LVE, Jones, Collins, Cooper, Awuzie, etc.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

This is the product of current age Cowboys fan. They have no clue. They don’t even know that we have to pay our own players. And they apparently don’t know there’s a salary cap that limits what we can pay for those players. Give me, give me, give me is all they know because they’ve been given everything to them their whole lives.