Just for fun -- which CZ member would you appoint Cowboys GM?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Sorry sir but Jerry was no more qualified to be an NFL GM when he appointed himself so than anyone around here is now. Nevermind the lineup of family members that are qualified for nothing.

I think what @Risen Star is trying to say is that it can't get any worse than zero on the 0 for 25.

It's bad when you have to even explain that to someone.

Stick to Madden you dopes.. I prefer Jerry Jones who had no experience and just bought a team and held it hostage with his ego.

fivetwos

Reaction score
What you said is true about Jones having no NFL experience prior to buying the Cowboys and making himself the GM, but he did have experience running a billion dollar company, you know big business, that NOBODY here has that kind of experience. I'm not a huge Jones fan, but with now 32 years of experience as a GM, I'll take that over someone here with no NFL experience or any experience running a billion dollar business.
Jerry was likely at the very height of his oil success at the same point in time Bill Walsh was respected as the best football mind around.

I would love to ask Jerry if he would have considered hiring Walsh to play a very key day to day role in his oil company during that time.

I promise you the answer is no.

Edit....btw I'm pretty sure the OP meant this as a tongue in cheek situation. Lets not forget that.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Jerry was likely at the very height of his oil success at the same point in time Bill Walsh was respected as the best football mind around.

I would love to ask Jerry if he would have considered hiring Walsh to play a very key day to day role in his oil company during that time.

Edit....btw I'm pretty sure the OP meant this as a tongue in cheek situation. Lets not forget that.
I mean the title of the thread starts with "Just for fun".

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Bill Walsh was never the GM. Most GM tend to be former scouts. In the case of the Cowboys yes Jones is GM and makes final call but as I have mentioned before the guy who cover the Cowboys knows that McCray is the most powerful man in the organization after the Jones. This is why they did all Jerry and Stephen did all they could to retain him a couple of years ago. I do think he has a strong voice in the organization. Regardless if fans like it or not I don't see this changing I think Jones will continue to sit at the top and take the advice of head of scouting be it Ireland when he was here or now McCray

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
@Aerolithe_Lion for sure. He is so against the cowboys, and so pro eagles it would probably work out well for us if he follows Roseman's line of thinking. :) sorry football buddy I had to.
*Whatever became of that cat? An owl might have put the midnight snack down on him prolly,huh?o_O

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Let's see..

Cowboyszone told me Garrett was next Landry... I was Anti Garrett..

Cowboyszone told me Andy Reid was too pass happy. I wanted him the day he was fired.

Cowboyszone told me Brady was finished.. I wanted to go all in on Brady & FA.

I hated the McCarthy hire and would've gone all in on Lincoln Riley or Urban Meyer.

I was ok with drafting Zeke but would've drafted Ramsey. CZ hated Ramsey because he didn't get enough INT's in college.

I had Josh Allen as #1 QB in his class. CZ hated him because of his completion percentage and liked Baker and Darnold better.

Have I been wrong time to time? Sure.. Everyone is. But i'm ridiculously right more times then not and I feel like most fans still look at football from a 1990's perspective when the game has dramatically changed in recent years with the salary cap and Anti-Defense rules.
OMG. are you advocating for yourself....

I can point you to 100 other zoners that said the same thing.....

you didn't think Watson and Mahomes were NFL type QBs, so you would have passed on both....

sorry, you are only a legend in your own mind and its pretty lonely up there LOL

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
OMG. are you advocating for yourself....

I can point you to 100 other zoners that said the same thing.....

you didn't think Watson and Mahomes were NFL type QBs, so you would have passed on both....

sorry, you are only a legend in your own mind and its pretty lonely up there LOL

I've explained to you several times my thoughts on Watson and Mahomes but you're comprension skills are just far too poor I guess.

Watson was a 1 read QB in college that relied on athleticism a lot.

Watson I just straight up missed on. Mahomes I basically said the exact things that needed to happen and we even got an admission from him that he couldn't read NFL defenses until last season.

I also said Justin Herbert had the most talent out of the QB's in his class and was Josh Allen > Baker / Darnold because I learned quickly from 2016 that the league was trending to a more spread offense style and the pro style QB doesn't matter as much.

Trust me.. If you understood what I do about football you would've done what myself and the NFL teams did as well and that's undervalue Watson and Mahomes.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I've explained to you several times my thoughts on Watson and Mahomes but you're comprension skills are just far too poor I guess.

Watson was a 1 read QB in college that relied on athleticism a lot.

Watson I just straight up missed on. Mahomes I basically said the exact things that needed to happen and we even got an admission from him that he couldn't read NFL defenses until last season.

I also said Justin Herbert had the most talent out of the QB's in his class and was Josh Allen > Baker / Darnold because I learned quickly from 2016 that the league was trending to a more spread offense style and the pro style QB doesn't matter as much.

Trust me.. If you understood what I do about football you would've done what myself and the NFL teams did as well and that's undervalue Watson and Mahomes.
like I said, as I have mentioned before.....there are 100 other zoners that made the exact same predictions.....including myself. I missed Herbert, I didn't think he would be as good as he turned out to be. I actually thought Dak had potential, needed to clean out his foot work to help his accuracy..I was happy we got him in the 4th. I never liked Darnold. his wind up is to slow and too long. I thought he would struggle in the NFL. I hated Rosen. too cocky and a head case and not good for a QB of a team.... I didn't really like Baker, didn't think he has the maturity and didn't like his style of play. I did like Allen, thought he had the highest upside, if he can learn the NFL game given he came from small college and his mental capacity was the key, similar to Wentz (apprantley no mental capacity)....

so I guess I am a better GM than you are. so if you are looking for a job, send me your application..

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
like I said, as I have mentioned before.....there are 100 other zoners that made the exact same predictions.....including myself. I missed Herbert, I didn't think he would be as good as he turned out to be. I actually thought Dak had potential, needed to clean out his foot work to help his accuracy..I was happy we got him in the 4th. I never liked Darnold. his wind up is to slow and too long. I thought he would struggle in the NFL. I hated Rosen. too cocky and a head case and not good for a QB of a team.... I didn't really like Baker, didn't think he has the maturity and didn't like his style of play. I did like Allen, thought he had the highest upside, if he can learn the NFL game given he came from small college and his mental capacity was the key, similar to Wentz (apprantley no mental capacity)....

so I guess I am a better GM than you are. so if you are looking for a job, send me your application..

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/uscs-right-tackle.191058/

When you're capable of spotting a guy like that with 0 hype around him let me know.

Aven8

Reaction score
So, rather than try to trade him, or use him differently, or on a more limited basis, your first move would be to cut him and take an almost $17 million cap hit over the next 2 years?

Sorry, you lost my vote.

Is Alfred E. Newman available?

I take the hit. He’s a bad player and thinks he’s the leader. Leaders don’t tell people they are the leader.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I take the hit. He’s a bad player and thinks he’s the leader. Leaders don’t tell people they are the leader.

That doesn't explain why you would take the hit rather than trade him, get a draft pick in return (even if it's only a middle rounder), and avoid taking a hit at all.

Even the less desirable alternative of using him as a rotational or even just as a depth player would be better. While he may not be playing to the level we hope or expect, he is certainly not so bad he couldn't make the team as a rotational or depth player. Then at least you would get some value instead of just taking a cap hit with nothing in return.

Aven8

Reaction score
That doesn't explain why you would take the hit rather than trade him, get a draft pick in return (even if it's only a middle rounder), and avoid taking a hit at all.

Even the less desirable alternative of using him as a rotational or even just as a depth player would be better. While he may not be playing to the level we hope or expect, he is certainly not so bad he couldn't make the team as a rotational or depth player. Then at least you would get some value instead of just taking a cap hit with nothing in return.

They don’t have the 12th round anymore! Lol

Actually I would trade him and give them a 6th or 7th to take on the contract.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/uscs-right-tackle.191058/

When you're capable of spotting a guy like that with 0 hype around him let me know.
0 hype!!? are you serious? you know how much Tyron was talked about, some even saying he was a top 5 pick. Garrett loved him and his 10 inch hands and powerful punch....I advocated for getting tyron even over JJ Watt, who went right after him.....we needed a LT to protect Romo and save his career. I loved tyron and advocated for him, given he was not even 20 at that time...

come on dude, you are stating the obvious and claiming what!?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
0 hype!!? are you serious? you know how much Tyron was talked about, some even saying he was a top 5 pick. Garrett loved him and his 10 inch hands and powerful punch....I advocated for getting tyron even over JJ Watt, who went right after him.....we needed a LT to protect Romo and save his career. I loved tyron and advocated for him, given he was not even 20 at that time...

come on dude, you are stating the obvious and claiming what!?

Um no.. There was no hype on Tyron Smith at that time.

I posted that during USCs 1st game of the season.. He was a nobody and everyone was talking about their left tackle Matt Khalil I believe which is who I tuned in to watch and then saw Tyron.

I posted that September 2nd 2010. First week of college football season. He was drafted April 2011.

Last edited:

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would you like to have a furry as the GM? I'll take it haha!!! Fun times at Jerry World! Fursuits optional but encouraged! But in all seriousness, I think @Bobhaze , @Corso , @Ranching , or a few others would be great choices. I'd probably be the furriest....and funniest, GM in the league haha. Oh! And I'd replace Rowdy with a horse mascot!
You are the runaway leader!