Just upgraded to a 4K tv and what a great picture

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
How are you watching games in order to get a great picture? I have 1080P with DirecTV and don't even think those are broadcast at 1080P.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
How are you watching games in order to get a great picture? I have 1080P with DirecTV and don't even think those are broadcast at 1080P.
I have cable, and the games are all in at least 1080.
I just bought a new little TV for my bedroom a few weeks ago, and the salesman at PC Richard was saying there are very few stations or devices broadcasting in 4K yet, so I have to wonder about the games as well.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
If you get over the air HD broadcast, they are uncompressed and therefore much higher quality. The cable networks compress their HD feeds so the quality is less than over the air broadcast.

By OTH broadcast I assume you mean from a local station?

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score

I believe{and I could be mistaken} sports channels are piped in at a lower resolution than 1080 probably to prevent blurring on fast moving objects. Games do look overall better but where it really shines is some of your movie channels.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
By OTH broadcast I assume you mean from a local station?
Pretty much though not in all cases. Specifically meaning using an HD antenna and not a cable box for reception.

So, if you watch NFL games and can get it on an HD antenna. Use that instead of the cable to get the game.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Pretty much though not in all cases. Specifically meaning using an HD antenna and not a cable box for reception.

So, if you watch NFL games and can get it on an HD antenna. Use that instead of the cable to get the game.

I have a OTH antenna that's good for like 50 miles, might hook it up and try it tonight. ty!

lukin2006

Reaction score
In Canada, Saturday night is also known as "hockey night in Canada", I'm pretty sure that game is broadcast in 4k on a special station ...

SlammedZero

Reaction score
very few stations or devices broadcasting in 4K yet, so I have to wonder about the games as well.

What is crazy is there is already 8K coming down the pipeline. Saw an ad for an 8K television the other day. The issue with this is just what you stated. There isn't even enough 4K content out there yet. I feel like the guy plopping down insane amounts of cash for the new 8K TV is going to be waiting awhile to use it properly.

JohnnyTheFox, congrats! Welcome to the club. I love me some 4K. :)

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Also, speaking of 4K, I remember the first 4K TV I ever saw (years ago) was at Best Buy and it was insanely impressive at the time. It was also $12k for the TV. You know some poor sucker is still paying on that TV today. :muttley:

lukin2006

Reaction score
I bought a 32" sharp, roku smart tv for my bedroom ... I like. 65 inch, I like.