Twitter: KC: Dak must reach playoffs consistently if he's paid premium QB money

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s part of the game for some teams. Not all.
And just chalking up the QB situation to overpaying is simply not an answer. It’s an excuse. Which is why Keenum has still done as much as Cousins in MIN. It’s just a fact.
You pay a QB $145 Million, I want a SB with a team ready to win. I can do what Cousins has done with Keenums all day for chump change.
It’s been a disaster in MIN.

Dalton and Dak numbers are the same. 1st 4 years. Last 13 games. It’s the same. It just is. Sorry, they are what they are.

I will admit, it’s a real conundrum getting an “elite QB” but teams if they are diligent can get one and it’s not some impossible mountain to climb.

Add the current state of this utter fustercluck of a roster and it’s not a good look.
And you have faith our Football Idiots will get it done? Lol

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It is not that I don't see the or acknowledge busts. I actually see them on both sides of the ball but that's not really the point, nor is it the pertinent fact. The point is that "This Coaching Staff" has not shown us what it can or can't do at all, as yet, in terms of the Defense. You cant say that they have failed when they haven't even been given the chance.

In their first draft, they didn't get the chance to make it a priority. It's well documented how the first pick went down. Jerry told the team that the first pick was his and with it, he took a WR. That's not on the coaching staff, nor does it speak to their capabilities. That point of view is just wrong.

I agree about your "powers that be" statement. But that is different then the coaching staff, surely you can see that.
I’ll agree it’s still early to come to any conclusions what this staff can do with the decisions in building a defense. I’m judging after their 1st year priorities which also included letting 4 starters on defense walk and their FA moves not pan out along with priority in 1st round.

The fact Jethro inserted himself for 1st pick is just another example of how he thwarts coaching staffs. I see it as more of the same . And why my hopes are diminished.

what bust are you referring to on offense in draft as compared to defense. Only one I can think of is Escobar as far as a 1st or 2nd round bust in recent years.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
ok. What's your plan at QB again?

My plan is not about the QB at all. You have to pay attention here. If you want to know what I think about the Dak situation, I'll tell you. His offer is on the table. 35 AAV for 5 years. Take that or go find the deal that you want for the money you want and help the team negotiate a deal.

If he signs for the 5 year 35, then OK. If he doesn't, then lets get a trade done, lets get Dalton signed to an extension for a lot less money and lets go ahead and draft a QB. At 10th overall, I'm thinking there will be a QB there. With what we get in a trade we can address the defense. Most importantly, our cap is intact and we aren't committing financial suicide.

Now, I've explained this many times.

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
This is the operative question isn't it. The team pissed away its chance to build a solid every year contender when Dak was making peanuts and now that the bill has come due it's his fault if they don't build a contender? GTFOH! Dak did his part.. It's time for the team to do theirs. And that starts with paying the man.. Yes he absolutely has to help them construct the contract to help with the cap but he should be under no obligation to take less money to make up for their stupidity with regard to building a team. The good news is he doesn't have to. He just has to instruct his agent to construct the contract the right way..

Dak didn’t change to his new agent to help construct the Cowboys cap or roster.
He got his new agent to get paid. Period.
He and his agent could care less if that’s in DAL or another team. It’s why he was tagged. It’s part of a long term strategy with the coming TV deals. There’s absolutely nothing he and his agent are doing that says they want to capitulate in any way to DAL. Which is why he was tagged.
DAL will pay Dak what he wants, which they can barely pay the tag next year or he will be paid what he wants elsewhere. And he and his agent know it. Just ask Cousins.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
And the Cowboys are going for it. Every team is going for it lol.

But we are years away, because of the unproductive overpriced contracts and the defense that is 3 dr
It’s all about timing. The amount a QB makes doesn't necessarily depend on his ranking or status in the league. He mostly just needs to be in this “ franchise QB “ status in order to receive one of these closer to the top contracts.

NFL's highest paid quarterbacks (average salary per year):
  • 1. Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes: $45 million
  • 2. Texans QB Deshaun Watson: $39 million
  • 2. Seahawks QB Russell Wilson: $35 million
  • 3. Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger: $34 million
  • 4.Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: $33.5 million
  • 4. Rams QB Jared Goff: $33.5 million
  • 6. Vikings QB Kirk Cousins: $33 million
  • 7. Eagles QB Carson Wentz: $32 million
  • 8. Cowboys QB Dak Prescott: $$30.1 million
  • 0. Falcons QB Matt Ryan: $30 million
  • 10. Titans QB Ryan Tannehill: $29.5 million

• This list doesn’t reflect any kind of pecking order overall according to their talent level. It’s more about the timing of their contracts. And this list changes basically on a year to year basis depending on new contracts not the level of their talent. The highest paid is more a reflection of most recent contracts . Sometimes it can currently reflect the pecking order but that’s not always the case. It changes over the duration of their contracts.

• And why we shouldn’t be alarmed if Dak receives one of the highest per annum contracts cause in a year or two it will have dropped considerably in the pecking order. It’s why he only wanted a 4 year contract cause he knows by then he’ll have dropped down the list.

I bet Houston are so happy with the Watson deal..... they show what can so easily go wrong when a team focuses on the QB rather than team......great player but not the same without the Hopkins of the world.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Perhaps we need to weigh what the cost is of over paying our QB to not having a Franchise QB.

I think we've already done that. I think that this was done when Dak went down. But I do like your idea. If Dak doesn't sign, may I assume you are on board with trading him and getting started on the "weighing" portion of our experiment?

LOL.....

Diehardblues

Reaction score
My plan is not about the QB at all. You have to pay attention here. If you want to know what I think about the Dak situation, I'll tell you. His offer is on the table. 35 AAV for 5 years. Take that or go find the deal that you want for the money you want and help the team negotiate a deal.

If he signs for the 5 year 35, then OK. If he doesn't, then lets get a trade done, lets get Dalton signed to an extension for a lot less money and lets go ahead and draft a QB. At 10th overall, I'm thinking there will be a QB there. With what we get in a trade we can address the defense. Most importantly, our cap is intact and we aren't committing financial suicide.

That’s a very reasonable solution. I’m just not as sold the 3-4 million a year makes that much difference over the life of his contract. I’m not even sold Dak is worth 35. But if you think he is, then he’s prob with 38 or 39.

But I’d have no problem with moving on. Only difference is I’d look to make more trades for more picks to move up in draft for that QB and or additional picks in 1st round.

My hunch is Jethro will cave in. It’s the comfortable move for him .

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The answer for what?

The answer for a relative and interesting team.
The answer for a playoff contender .
The answer for division title champ.
The answer for a team on the brink of a championship appearance.

These are all answers he’s already met. All without a top 10 caliber defense while leading a top offense.

Why wouldn’t you invest in a QB as such ?

OK, it's your story, you tell it but don't tell it to me, I'm too old for fairytales.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

Ok, well thanks for explaining yet again, I guess, for those of us who don't pay attention.

Although, squabbling over $5 million doesn't seem like it going to make the big difference in your available cap between "cap is intact" and financial suicide.

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
That’s a very reasonable solution. I’m just not as sold the 3-4 million a year makes that much difference over the life of his contract. I’m not even sold Dak is worth 35. But if you think he is, then he’s prob with 38 or 39.

But I’d have no problem with moving on. Only difference is I’d look to make more trades for more picks to move up in draft for that QB and or additional picks in 1st round.

My hunch is Jethro will cave in. It’s the comfortable move for him .

I think Jethro gives him the tag further creating more drama and long winded diatribes from posters here. LOL.

But yes, ABQ’s plan is how fiscally responsible teams handle this situation.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think we've already done that. I think that this was done when Dak went down. But I do like your idea. If Dak doesn't sign, may I assume you are on board with trading him and getting started on the "weighing" portion of our experiment?

LOL.....
I have little faith either direction we go. My greatest hope in this awful era of Jethro Football is 16 meaningful games each year. That’s how far the Bar has been lowered for me.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, if it's happened twice, maybe it's not luck? But more to the point, what suggests to you that Dak is the answer? I.E., what makes you believe that this path is the right path? I mean, you speak as if you believe this but I'm curious, what have you seen that makes you believe this?

What is the point behind the Aikman numbers? I mean, at the time, it was far and away the largest contract signed in the NFL and it remained so for a few years but I don't understand the significance of the numbers.

Any team is stupid to give a fully guaranteed contract, such as that. Fully guaranteed contracts in the NFL, don't work. The entire league should be pissed off at the Minnesota Ownership. Zigi Wilf should have stuck to something he knows, like Soccer.
I am not sure he is the answer but I do not trust them to find a better QB.

I also do not have confidence in this FO to build a defense or let a HC run the team. It's just not set up to do that.

I've already stated where I stand. I do not believe this team will make it back to the SB in my lifetime, the best I can hope for is to be an inconsistent contender. But I do not need them to even do that to stay a fan. I have accepted what it really is but that doesn't mean I can't join in complaining about it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think Jethro gives him the tag further creating more drama and long winded diatribes from posters here. LOL.

But yes, ABQ’s plan is how fiscally responsible teams handle this situation.
I hear ya but that doesn’t apply to this dysfunctional organization who’s priority is “ relative and interesting”. Lol

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I’ll agree it’s still early to come to any conclusions what this staff can do with the decisions in building a defense. I’m judging after their 1st year priorities which also included letting 4 starters on defense walk and their FA moves not pan out along with priority in 1st round.

The fact Jethro inserted himself for 1st pick is just another example of how he thwarts coaching staffs. I see it as more of the same . And why my hopes are diminished.

what bust are you referring to on offense in draft as compared to defense. Only one I can think of is Escobar as far as a 1st or 2nd round bust in recent years.

I'd have cut all those guys too. I was never a big fan of signing them, with the exception of McCoy.

I did not like letting Byron walk. I felt like letting Heath go was a mistake as well. I didn't like letting Quinn go but we really couldn't match what Chicago was offering him. The situation with Jones was a done deal the minute we decided to sign Zeke early. Jones was gone but that's not on this staff. Who was the fourth, was that Collins? Honestly, I had much higher hopes for Collins then what he showed. He signed a deal with the Raiders for 6 mil and he did nothing, literally, this year. I'd have to say that releasing him was a good move, in retrospect.

You didn't say recent years, nor did you say 1st or 2nd round. But honestly, is it material to the discussion of Defense and this coaching staff? If you feel like it is, I will post a list.

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
I am not sure he is the answer but I do not trust them to find a better QB.

I also do not have confidence in this FO to build a defense or let a HC run the team. It's just not set up to do that.

I've already stated where I stand. I do not believe this team will make it back to the SB in my lifetime, the best I can hope for is to be an inconsistent contender. But I do not need them to even do that to stay a fan. I have accepted what it really is but that doesn't mean I can't join in complaining about it.

Agreed on all accounts except one.
I think they CAN fall bass ackwards into an “elite QB” and in spite of Jerruh that QB can win it all.
Cause that’s what “elite“ QBs do for a franchise
Its happened before.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
But we are years away, because of the unproductive overpriced contracts and the defense that is 3 dr

I bet Houston are so happy with the Watson deal..... they show what can so easily go wrong when a team focuses on the QB rather than team......great player but not the same without the Hopkins of the world.

Cowboys are not years away. This is a year to year league. Cowboys cap situation is fine.

Watson just had the best year of his career with......Watson ain't the problem. That crappy defense is.
33 touchdowns
7 picks
112.4 QB rating

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Is anyone else skeptical that Dak will improve into his 30s?

Like.. He’s mobile but not the most mobile.. When that little bit of mobility he has is gone do you think his passing ability is going to be enough?

He just snapped an ankle too.. I’d bet he 100% recovers but who knows.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they are going to tag Prescott, then they need to take a QB with that 10th pick because that's nothing but a buy time move and they have no intention of a long term deal with him.

If he was actually close to signing and the time ran out, then I see no reason why they won't do that deal unless there is a health concern going forward.

Dalton is not the answer to anything. There was a very good reason why CIN took Burrow and Dalton had D's in CIN better than anything the Cowboys have fielded since he became a pro. He is not the future and was barely the present.

What's funny is the rap against Prescott can't beat the better teams, take a look at Dalton's record. He's a playoff powderpuff.

The decision is only one of 3. Long term deal, tag and try and trade him and take a QB in this draft or let him walk and draft a QB and possibly move up for Wilson.

Tagging him and keeping him is the worst decision. That's almost 38M with at best a flat cap with 2019 if they can reach a deal and the Cowboys are not that close to being a true contender. Why waste 38M on a QB? Break the rookie QB in and spend that money fixing the D.

The unknown is what is the value of Prescott on the open market? I wanted the non exclusive tag last year to find out.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

essentially you are saying we are throwing away the next 3 years. given Dalton means we are a losing team. and then any QB drafted outside of Lawrence (even he is not a sure thing) is a big gamble or a project....

so in a few years, we come to the same point again....having to resign a QB and wash, rinse repeat, let them walk, draft another one, they suck, then a couple of years or three year later dump him, draft another one, develop him, and then let him walk again, wash, rinse repeat....