Twitter: KC: Dak must reach playoffs consistently if he's paid premium QB money

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Well, again, I've explained this. In fact, I think I explained it twice again, earlier today in a post but here goes. I don't believe Dak is worth 35. I think that this is what Jerry has already offered and I think it's still on the table so that's where that number comes from. Let me just take that a step further and again, I've explain this point twice before today as well, a deal for 35 AAV already exceeds the cap percentage, based on the 13% total cap allotment to the QB. 35 represents about 20%, each mil you add to that just takes you more and more into the red. At some point, that's gonna cost you players that can contribute to the team. It just compounds the problem so I don't really see how anybody can look at this and say, well, you've already screwed up your cap by committing so much of your cap to the QB so why not just double down and screw it up even more? I mean, that's pretty much what you are doing there. I don't see the wisdom there.

I don't really want to get into the compensation on a trade because I feel like that's a thread all on its own. It will just detract from this discussion but yeah, lets get multiple picks. I would not try and move up in this draft because it would be way too expensive and we need multiple players on the Defensive side of the ball. The only way Dalton and hopefully a young QB is successful is if they come to a team that is really solid to begin with. Bringing in good young talent accomplishes that for you. But again, I see a young Trey Lance there at 10 and there is nothing not to love about that kid if you are a fan of Dak Prescott. If you get real lucky, maybe Wilson slides and then I think you hit the jackpot. That kid can do it all IMO. You put him behind a good line, a decent running game, give him targets to throw at and a Defense that can be, at least respectable, and I think that kid can give you a chance to win some games. He's probably gone before our pick but still, that's kinda how I see it.
this year we had 7 of the highest paid position players on the team, in the likes of Zeke, Martin, Smith, Lawrence, Jaylon, Cooper, Collins.....how many more do you want to add?

and the 20% cap hit for 2021 is temporary not permanent. its an issue all NFL teams have to deal with....wouldn't now Wilson's cap % increase as well? Watson? so its an impact all NFL teams have to deal with. with expectations for 2022 to be more of a normal cap year and then back to the normal expected cap increase in 2023 (to what it was supposed to be pre-covid), and jump of 20-25% in cap in 2024, it allows FOs to maneuver some of this.

the issue is not having the ability to sign high priced players...its being able to sign the right ones....and not hand out contracts to the likes of Jaylon and Zeke that hamper the team because they actually have a net negative effect.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
this is very true. where this FO has failed misreably is in defensive player evaluation where in the past 15 years we have picked probably only 2 impact defensive players (lawrence, Jones) but 10 offensive impact players....if we don't fix that problem, as you said, we can have any of those QBs and we still fail...

and one more item not to forget, we lacked coaching and critical game manager coaching for a very long time. I can't count the number of times we snatched defeat from jaws of victory because of coaching stupidity.

the hope is MM is the right coach...but even this year he made quite a number of questionable calls
Yes he did make questionable calls causing me to question him as my 1st choice after Rivera was off the market.

However, I am dismissing this entire season for new coaches because there's never been another like it for the lack of prep.

One thing I do fault McC for. He rehired Moore because he wanted some continuity with his offense and that made a lot of sense but then hires Nolan and allows him to install a new defense on the weakest part of the team. It's not like Nolan had this impressive track record, he couldn't even get a DC job in his two previous jobs.

I do not like the Joneses hiring coaches but in this case, they should. McC has forfeited that privilege. The next DC has his work cut out for him because he's got to instill confidence in his D. I don't care what kind of false bravado these players exhibit, they know they were the worst D in Cowboys history. The road back will be difficult and take more time than one year.

Brax

Reaction score
I think McClay was sabotaged by Marinelli falling in love with guys during the interviews which led to the coaches overriding the scouts on more than one occasion. At least on defense. We have way too many KPs (Kaint Play) draftees on defense for it to be a coincidence.
All we hear is McClay is great, it gets so old, his results shouldn't impress anyone, really poor aver all. I know the good pick or two are his all the bad ones are on everybody else. This is so typical that even he is elevated to elite status, just look at the players on the team, they are his guys. If he was a GM he would be long gone.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't know why some can't see that. The Joneses genuinely like him and like everything about him and if the truth be told, Booger admires Prescott standing his ground in the negotiations. Made for good copy and kept them as the lead story for the lazy sports networks that had to start each cast with "no news in the Dak Prescott/Dallas Cowboys negotiations today". The DC is the only team that they have to have a story about not having a story.

They want him as the DC QB going forward and this will get done as soon as the Joneses realize they're not getting additional mileage out of this in the media. This helps Prescott's endorsements deals as well.

I think this is the wrong take. It's not that fans don't believe Jerry will pay Dak more then what he should. In fact, I think that most fans do believe he will and that's the problem.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think this is the wrong take. It's not that fans don't believe Jerry will pay Dak more then what he should. In fact, I think that most fans do believe he will and that's the problem.
But yet you don’t buy the Football Idiot narrative.

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score
Yet, he “screwed the pooch”....what has he accomplished that Dak hasn’t in 5 years?
I like Dak, & want him to be re-signed at all cost, but you’re just as obsessed with Romo as the Dak haters. You literally bring him up in every Dak thread. Is It not possible to like both Dak and Romo?

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I think 33per is tops for dak now after that injury. Best to tag and trade him or wait and see how he is next season. Dallas won't be contenders so its not like their wasting a season to see what dak will be like.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I like Dak, & want him to be re-signed at all cost, but you’re just as obsessed with Romo as the Dak haters. You literally bring him up in every Dak thread. Is It not possible to like both Dak and Romo?
See this is what y'all do when you bring up Romo. I was a Romo fan I have every right to bring him up as the next guy. Just because I didn't think eh walked on water doesn't mean I didn't like him. I sat here on this same site and defended him when people foolishly criticized him for things outside of his control just like I do Dak. Has nothing to do with not liking him. I brought him up as a example of you or whoever it was saying Dak screwed the pooch....if that's your argument then so did Romo...y'all don't like when Romo get brought up though lol. Y'all have revised his history here......He became Tom Brady soon as he retired lol.

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score
See this is what y'all do when you bring up Romo. I was a Romo fan I have every right to bring him up as the next guy. Just because I didn't think eh walked on water doesn't mean I didn't like him. I sat here on this same site and defended him when people foolishly criticized him for things outside of his control just like I do Dak. Has nothing to do with not liking him. I brought him up as a example of you or whoever it was saying Dak screwed the pooch....if that's your argument then so did Romo...y'all don't like when Romo get brought up though lol. Y'all have revised his history here......He became Tom Brady soon as he retired lol.
“See this is what y'all do when you bring up Romo”

I don’t bring up Romo. Dude is gone. Old news. People like you make the rest of us Dak fans look bad, by constantly bashing ex-players. Literally no one on this thread was talking about Romo until you brought him up, then used your alt-accounts to further the conversations. Actually sad lol.

Cmac

Reaction score
Its crazy though.....Romo got paid TWICE...no questions asked despite his lack of playoff appearances or success......now the bar is Dak has to get there 3 out of 4 times.......wow.
Yep.....Big Game Romo.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

"Romo got paid"
"Dak has paid his dues being paid next to nothing for years"
"Jerry paid DLaw and Zeke"
"You cant blame Dak for Jerry's faults"
"You have to pay your franchise QB"
"He deserves to be paid top QB money"

All comments regularly made on this site. All irreverent comments when it comes to contract negotiations.

If Dak wants top money (and I suppose an argument can be made for it) then he either a) takes a long term deal that pays him big in 2024 onward (like Mahomes), or b) he goes to Washington or Indianapolis and gets paid like a king.

My actual fav regular comment is.....
"The poor CAP doesnt matter, we can draft a defense" ....(not withstanding that the whole of the NFL is trying the same thing) .