Keanu Neal A fan can dream

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I guess you didn't read the article. He has coverage skills. Nevertheless it is my dream as I stated at the top.
Yea I did. It's mostly based on 3 years ago and agrees with me that he can't cover.

Then there's this: While Neal’s productivity may have declined from his first two seasons in the league, the former first-round draft pick did come off of two surgeries and is still entering the prime of his career. The 2021 free agent ranked as Pro Football Focus’s 33rd-best safety, receiving positive marks as a pass rusher and a 66.2 grade in coverage. But with another full offseason of recovery, the hard-hitting safety can revert back to the old talent that looked so promising as a first and second-year player.

In other words, "He hasn't been good since 2018 and doesn't cover well"

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
He is graded and listed as a FS. Not my words.

That's all well and good as far as draft grade, but he's actually played in the BOX and has played in a SS role.

Even that article you posted had him projected at SS, with us moving D Wilson to FS--not a great plan.

While it is likely that Dallas will let Xavier Woods test free agency, Quinn could shift Donavan Wilson, a player who showed promise down the stretch, to free safety and pair him with Neal. This would make for one of the better tandems that this Cowboys team has seen in the last few years.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Yea I did. It's mostly based on 3 years ago and agrees with me that he can't cover.

Then there's this: While Neal’s productivity may have declined from his first two seasons in the league, the former first-round draft pick did come off of two surgeries and is still entering the prime of his career. The 2021 free agent ranked as Pro Football Focus’s 33rd-best safety, receiving positive marks as a pass rusher and a 66.2 grade in coverage. But with another full offseason of recovery, the hard-hitting safety can revert back to the old talent that looked so promising as a first and second-year player.

In other words, "He hasn't been good since 2018 and doesn't cover well"
Again I like him better than kazoo who is coming off a major inujury. Just my personal preference and he is still listed better in coverage than kazoo? correct?

visionary

Reaction score
We already have Donovan Wilson who will be playing the same position. Unless they envision him playing FS, they both play the same position.

this
We need a FS and Harris is still out there

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
That's all well and good as far as draft grade, but he's actually played in the BOX and has played in a SS role.

Even that article you posted had him projected at SS, with us moving D Wilson to FS--not a great plan.

While it is likely that Dallas will let Xavier Woods test free agency, Quinn could shift Donavan Wilson, a player who showed promise down the stretch, to free safety and pair him with Neal. This would make for one of the better tandems that this Cowboys team has seen in the last few years.
I agree and appreciate all the opinions I found this article this morning after reading through all the kazoo pages and felt this would be a good topic for discussion. Plus I'm a fan of his play when he was healthy and for my personal enjoyment would welcome him over kazoo. I am 100% for DW being a starter moving forward regardless where he plays.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Again I like him better than kazoo who is coming off a major inujury. Just my personal preference and he is still listed better in coverage than kazoo? correct?
I don't know, they're both bad. But Neal is just a box safety who can't cover. Neither makes the defense better than it was last year.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I agree and appreciate all the opinions I found this article this morning after reading through all the kazoo pages and felt this would be a good topic for discussion. Plus I'm a fan of his play when he was healthy and for my personal enjoyment would welcome him over kazoo. I am 100% for DW being a starter moving forward regardless where he plays.

You may get your wish as he's probably cheap. I really think switching D Wilson's role right after he found some success would be a mistake, but that would be a very Dallas move. Though, out of the two Kazoo is the better fit for the FS role.

If you read up on Quinn's defense, you'll see the importance of the FS in this scheme. This is not the position to cheap out or take a flyer on a guy that has not demonstrated success in the role. We really need a legit player here, but I do not expect we'll get one unless we get lucky in the draft.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
You may get your wish as he's probably cheap. I really think switching D Wilson's role right after he found some success would be a mistake, but that would be a very Dallas move. Though, out of the two Kazoo is the better fit for the FS role.

If you read up on Quinn's defense, you'll see the importance of the FS in this scheme. This is not the position to cheap out or take a flyer on a guy that has not demonstrated success in the role. We really need a legit player here, but I do not expect we'll get one unless we get lucky in the draft.
Good points and concur.

LittleD

Reaction score
Sorry guys but, the boys have made their choices in a LS & backup WR. From what I've heard, all their cap space has been designated so there is very little for shopping.
New groceries cost big and Stephen is loath to dip into the till.

Winonesoon

Reaction score
Sorry guys but, the boys have made their choices in a LS & backup WR. From what I've heard, all their cap space has been designated so there is very little for shopping.
New groceries cost big and Stephen is loath to dip into the till.
Very reserved pessimistic take, but its still funny.:)

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
If you gonna dream, might as well dream big. This team ain't gonna sign a high priced FA, let's get Moehrig from TCU, plant him at FS and watch him work alongside Wilson and Diggs.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
this
We need a FS and Harris is still out there
Unless Harris takes a big pay cut, I don't think they will sign him. You never can rule it out, especially with his former DC on our staff, but it's unlikely. Kazee, Hooker, maybe a Joyner are more realistic. I wouldn't rule out Peterson coming here to play FS, either.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Unless Harris takes a big pay cut, I don't think they will sign him. You never can rule it out, especially with his former DC on our staff, but it's unlikely. Kazee, Hooker, maybe a Joyner are more realistic. I wouldn't rule out Peterson coming here to play FS, either.
Cross Peterson off, I didn't see the tweet where he was down to 3 teams, not the Cowboys.