Keep your word!

jwitten82

Reaction score
Seriously, why is this hard for people? If you say you're gonna do something then do it! Nobody is that busy, and if you cant help someone like you planned on doing, then at least communicate and dont leave them guessing. I lose all respect for people whose word isnt solid. Rant over lol

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Seriously, why is this hard for people? If you say you're gonna do something then do it! Nobody is that busy, and if you cant help someone like you planned on doing, then at least communicate and dont leave them guessing. I lose all respect for people whose word isnt solid. Rant over lol
I fired several vendors early in my career, because they wouldn't deliver on time and worse, wouldn't answer my or my equipment coordinator's calls. I found one about 16 years ago that got it. If the equipment, uniforms, etc were running late, he would keep me in the loop. Always answered or returned calls ASAP. That's all I asked, we all understand the stuff happens, just be honest about. Works in many facets of life.
You're right, some people don't get it. It's a reflection of their raising, IMO

jwitten82

Reaction score
I fired several vendors early in my career, because they wouldn't deliver on time and worse, wouldn't answer my or my equipment coordinator's calls. I found one about 16 years ago that got it. If the equipment, uniforms, etc were running late, he would keep me in the loop. Always answered or returned calls ASAP. That's all I asked, we all understand the stuff happens, just be honest about. Works in many facets of life.
You're right, some people don't get it. It's a reflection of their raising, IMO
Agreed. How can someone be an adult and their word mean so little to them?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
People suck.

I try not to commit to anything, unless I'm very certain I can do it. I'll usually say, "I'll try to be there, but it depends on..." If it turns out I can't make it, I call as soon as I know.

I have a niece who is really bad about that type of stuff. One day in particular, we had plans to go to the movies on a Monday morning. I took a vacation day to be there. I went to her house to pick her up, and she said, "Oh, I decided to go out with my friends."

She couldn't understand why I was pissed.

jwitten82

Reaction score
People suck.

I try not to commit to anything, unless I'm very certain I can do it. I'll usually say, "I'll try to be there, but it depends on..." If it turns out I can't make it, I call as soon as I know.

I have a niece who is really bad about that type of stuff. One day in particular, we had plans to go to the movies on a Monday morning. I took a vacation day to be there. I went to her house to pick her up, and she said, "Oh, I decided to go out with my friends."

She couldn't understand why I was pissed.
It's ridiculous. It's something so simple to do too, pick up the phone and communicate

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I finally learned the art of saying "no". Moving day was a big thing for me. I helped so many friends move in my 20's when everyone was apartment hopping and no one ever showed up for me. I remember moving myself out of a 2nd floor apartment and not even my brothers showed up. It was always summer in Texas too when I helped. I'm in my 50's now and someone asked me recently. I chuckled and just said..."no".

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I finally learned the art of saying "no". Moving day was a big thing for me. I helped so many friends move in my 20's when everyone was apartment hopping and no one ever showed up for me. I remember moving myself out of a 2nd floor apartment and not even my brothers showed up. It was always summer in Texas too when I helped. I'm in my 50's now and someone asked me recently. I chuckled and just said..."no".
My nephew bought his first house a few months ago, and never even asked me to help. He just assumed I'd say no. I would have helped, but I'm okay with people thinking I'll say no.

nobody

Reaction score
I encountered something similar. I would help friends move all the time. When it came time for me to move from a 2nd floor apartment, not a single friend helped me. From that day forward, when I was asked, I reminded them that they didn't reciprocate so my help moving was at an end.

jwitten82

Reaction score
I encountered something similar. I would help friends move all the time. When it came time for me to move from a 2nd floor apartment, not a single friend helped me. From that day forward, when I was asked, I reminded them that they didn't reciprocate so my help moving was at an end.
Lol what they say when you reminded them?

nobody

Reaction score
Lol what they say when you reminded them?
A couple didn't say anything. A couple made excuses. It was over 20 years ago. I don't remember the exact responses, but I had given plenty of noticed and asked nicely. Needless to say, after that reminder that they weren't there for me when I needed help, they stopped asking me to help them move. Other favors? Sure. Just not that one. haha

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
A couple didn't say anything. A couple made excuses. It was over 20 years ago. I don't remember the exact responses, but I had given plenty of noticed and asked nicely. Needless to say, after that reminder that they weren't there for me when I needed help, they stopped asking me to help them move. Other favors? Sure. Just not that one. haha
I helped an ex-coworker (budding friendship) move after he got married. A few months later, when I bought my house, he volunteered to help me wallpaper. The morning of, he said he'd be over at like 10 a.m., and he never showed. No call, no explanation the next day.

A couple of weeks later he showed up with a friend of his on their bikes. He brought a video of himself riding wheelies down the highway, expecting me to be impressed. I guess my lack of enthusiasm didn't sit well with him, because I never heard from him again.

Exactly the response I was looking for.

Hardline

Reaction score
Legit rant. It is a problem .