Kellen Moore and the Cowboys Are Proving You Don’t Need One System to Win

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
The restaurant analogy is off. Restaurants with big menues can't decide who they are and nothing of that food is good.

Still, I get his point, KM finally uses all that talent on this O where it can shine the most.

Heck even Wilson's passes look better than what half the league QBs show every week. :D

nobody

Reaction score
Moore’s special. McCarthy is not. I’d roll dice on Moore being special as a HC as well.

I would after he's had more experience. However, being good at calling/designing plays isn't the same as being a good HC. I don't know how he'd do at HC, but I wouldn't want to lose him either. Jerry should open that wallet enough to keep Moore here until he's had a lot more coaching experience at OC before even thinking about HC.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would after he's had more experience. However, being good at calling/designing plays isn't the same as being a good HC. I don't know how he'd do at HC, but I wouldn't want to lose him either. Jerry should open that wallet enough to keep Moore here until he's had a lot more coaching experience at OC before even thinking about HC.

He’s already one of the best OCs in the game though if you trust the production. I’d keep both for at least another season if I could, too, but someone’s going to give him a HC gig.

But if we have to pick, it’s like the choice between a special young player and a quality vet who is what he is. In the NFL, you need special to get special results. You have to take a chance on the upside.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The best-case scenario IMO is Jerry giving him a blank check to return for one more season and that probably won't do it but a chance to make let's say $12-14M for one year.

nobody

Reaction score
He’s already one of the best OCs in the game though if you trust the production. I’d keep both for at least another season if I could, too, but someone’s going to give him a HC gig.

But if we have to pick, it’s like the choice between a special young player and a quality vet who is what he is. In the NFL, you need special to get special results. You have to take a chance on the upside.

Yeah, that worked out so well with Garrett. Oh wait.. :D

Pass2Run

Reaction score
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/11/18/22788208/cowboys-offense-scheme-kellen-moore-dak-prescott

Good article. If we lose Moore, I wonder if we could finagle Petersen into an OC role.

If he turns down the offers from other teams, Moore will be Dallas' next head coach, imo.

So many of the knee-jerk, parrot-type fans blamed him for so much. Yet, now that he has some experience in the league and some talent to work with, they're all quiet.

This guy knows football. He has the same "it" factor Tony had.

I would personally like to see Tony come back to coach quarterbacks some day.

I would also really love to see Moore continue his career at Dallas until he becomes head coach after McCarthy.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
No offense I the NFL deploys one system. They may have their preferences but they don't play one system. Especially when it comes to the passing game.

DanA

Reaction score
The best thing about what Kelley has done IMO is the shift from next man up to every individual on this offense having a role catered to them, where they are asked to do things they have done well all their football career rather than implement a plan and techniques that are independent of their skill set.
  • With Wilson we utilize his arm and YAC compared to Gallup his deep threat and contested catch ability
  • McKeon has been a blocker while Jarwin was a seam threat.
  • Zeke is blocking and picking up dirty yards while Pollard is bouncing outside a bit more, and running routes.
  • Connor Williams is asked to be much more mobile and utilize seal blocks while Martin is tasked with shifting people.
I also think he’s played a big role in coaching Dak up to be one of the best pre-snap QB’s in the league. I think there were some teething problems in 2019 where Dak wasn’t quite at the level Kelley required but where seeing the benefits now.

Last edited:

phildadon86

Reaction score

I think after your staunch defense of Garrett for years, your opinion when it comes to anything coach related should be ignored completely. Just my opinion.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/11/18/22788208/cowboys-offense-scheme-kellen-moore-dak-prescott

Good article. If we lose Moore, I wonder if we could finagle Petersen into an OC role.
this from the article says it all and its something most casual fans miss and often bring out the negative about the play.

" He’d show them one play that picked up a modest gain, figure out how they defended it, and make an adjustment to set up bigger swings later in the game."

Great OCs do this as part of their in game management strategy. I remember reading and article about Mcvay and it pointed this out. same with Walsh, way back when. He used to script his first 15 plays as a way to figure out what the defense was doing in defending them and then call the game accordingly.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
interesting tid bit....Dak couldn't do this 3 years ago, but over the past couple of years has grown into that role. Moore has had a great influence on him. I am liking moore...more and more (haha). I had been a critic of him, in his game management and learning how to counter NFL defenses and he has been an absolute student and has learned very very quickly, which is very impressive.

"...So why isn’t every team doing this? Well, no other teams have Prescott, who drew a Peyton Manning comparison from Panthers coach Matt Rhule given his skill at orchestrating plays at the line of scrimmage. Even playing at the highest levels of football, most quarterbacks aren’t capable of processing all of this information while mastering a thick playbook. Moore figured out how to do it at Boise State. And in Dak, Moore has found a pro version of himself. But when Prescott went down for the season in 2020, the Cowboys offense was less versatile, and the results weren’t nearly as impressive...."