Kellen Moore can fix the Cowboys offense - if Jason Garrett lets him

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sorry, as much as I want to trust this wunderkid that's supposed to be Jesus of the cowboys and the savior, he is a rookie coach with one year of QB coaching experience.....no other experience. he is going to get schooled during the year. all schemes and game plans are great on paper, until you run them during the game....no one designs plays that fail!!!!! .its stupid to think its just about the scheme...its GAME DAY PLAY CALLING that's important. and Moore has to take his lumps to learn in the NFL. even the best of the coaches has had to go through a learning curve. as much as everyone hates it, I think Garrett needs to remain part of the equation with Moore. our offense may come out of the gates hot, because it will be new, but give DCs in the league 5 or 6 game tapes and they will start to pick you apart.....on game day he has to learn to play the cat and mouse and that his schemes won't just automatically work. DCs will set him up in the first quarter, giving up a play, only to negate him in the 4th when Moore goes back to it...… that's the NFL. Moore is not the genius everyone is hoping or making him out to be....he may become a good one, but he has to earn his stripes...its the way of the NFL

Valid concerns.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I don't necessarily agree that Linehan was holding the offense back. If he was it was probably because he had little or no trust in his QB.

JayFord

Reaction score
With all the proven talent we have on offense simply not running the same plays over and over again can improve us to top 5 offense

stiletto

Reaction score
Garrett has been a figure head and nothing more for years. He neither controls the offense or defensive play calls. His only input is relegated to managing the red flag in his pocket and giving the ok to go for it on fourth downs.

He's been pretty good at icing his own kicker as well....

Verdict

Reaction score
This is the million dollar question.

I don't particularly buy the idea that Garrett is going to suddenly hand over all the reigns to the offense to some boy wonder. Not when his coaching job is in the air.

I’m not convinced Garrett is on the hot seat.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't necessarily agree that Linehan was holding the offense back. If he was it was probably because he had little or no trust in his QB.

Is that why he was quickly snapped up and hired by another team?

Reaction score
This is the million dollar question.

I don't particularly buy the idea that Garrett is going to suddenly hand over all the reigns to the offense to some boy wonder. Not when his coaching job is in the air.
I agree.

It remains to be seen how much of a leash Garrett gives Moore. We will not see the Boise State offense anytime soon. Not with Jason Garrett around. There will be some minor tinkering around the edges, but it will be basically the same offense we have seen for the past decade.

Sammy

Reaction score
I agree.

It remains to be seen how much of a leash Garrett gives Moore. We will not see the Boise State offense anytime soon. Not with Jason Garrett around. There will be some minor tinkering around the edges, but it will be basically the same offense we have seen for the past decade.

I thought Jerry gave the leash to KM?

Reaction score
I thought Jerry gave the leash to KM?
If you actually believe Jerry, that's on you. I don't buy it for a second.

Garrett is on a expiring contract. His butt is on the line. He is not going to cede all control of the offense to a guy with zero experience.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I doubt that that Kellen Moore is likely to radically transform the offensive system, other than mostly the pre-snap adjustments that we've all heard about. Whether or not Kellen has been given a free hand to change the offense, free of Garrett's input does seem hard to believe. Jerry has been known to beat his chest with some of his boss-man utterances in the past, so there's always that to consider. In any case, we'll soon see more of what's in store for us.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Just getting rid of Linehan improves the offense.
Who’s call was it to limit the play calling because of Prescott skill set? If Moore is not limited as well then I’d agree that’s an instant upgrade.

Along with the added talent of Cobb and return of Witten with Cooper a full season we should see much improvement. And that’s without any much needed development from Dak.

glimmerman

Reaction score
We have the players and talent on Offense, Moore needs to be less predictable in the second half of games. Use some misdirection that the players can execute without running into penalties that kill drives. If he finds a fix for red zone it would go a long way.

According to JJ he wants change at OC and was basically telling JG to allow it. So it’s his baby. Some things aren’t broken so don’t mess with that. Try to get better in areas of weakness.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Few fans remember or know the kind of success Garrett had his first year as Cowboys OC. If I'm not mistaken, there were at least 2 teams request permission to interview him for their head coaching vacancies. His offense was unstoppable....

More than just interviews, the Ravens offered JG their head coaching position. He turned them down, they hired John Harbaugh.

The Ravens first targeted Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett and tried to hire him during a seven-hour visit Tuesday. Garrett turned down the Ravens' offer Thursday and decided to remain with Dallas.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Few fans remember or know the kind of success Garrett had his first year as Cowboys OC. If I'm not mistaken, there were at least 2 teams request permission to interview him for their head coaching vacancies. His offense was unstoppable....
Yea, Ravens and the Falcons both pursued him when he was OC. Jerry stepped up and made him one of the highest paid OC in the league.

And of course it widely known Garrett was the successor to Wade as Jerry had already named him “ the future of the Dallas Cowboys”.

ondaedg

Reaction score
The biggest challenge Kellen Moore has is overcoming Garrett's belief that you can win by wearing a defense out with a power running game. That is why our offense is vanilla and predictable. Garrett doesn't buy into deception nor worry about predictability. Why should he when our oline can just run any defense over right?

Sammy

Reaction score
If you actually believe Jerry, that's on you. I don't buy it for a second.

Garrett is on a expiring contract. His butt is on the line. He is not going to cede all control of the offense to a guy with zero experience.

Not sure if I believe it or not, but I HOPE to see how much of a leash Moore gives Garrett. :flagwave:

GMO415

Reaction score
The offense has to be already in place with TC in a week.