Kellen Moore. is he more. or less?

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
often times average players become better coaches. why? because great players see the game differently and expect that everybody else sees it the same way. average players had to work extra hard to be good or manage to stay with a team and they see things a little different and often produce better results. Singlteray was a great player. very instinctive, but he failed as a coach. most coaches today were average to slightly above average players.

My thoughts exactly. I'm sure you can find them, but I can't think of any top tier players that have gone on to be top tier coaches unless you go back to the Ditka's of the world. There could be a number of factors of course. Average players don't make as much and need to continue working after their playing days, while top tier guys can afford to ride off into the sunset.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
I'm not against bringing in moore and seeing what he has.

I felt garret and linehan call plays based upon "not upsetting the fans". Rather than adjusting to what the other team is doing.

I'd be less against it if we were a team that is being rebuilt and needs a lot of talent. like one of those teams in the Campo days. But I feel that this team has a lot of talent, so I don't want to gamble on the OC job whether and unknown will spell success or disaster.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. I'm sure you can find them, but I can't think of any top tier players that have gone on to be top tier coaches unless you go back to the Ditka's of the world. There could be a number of factors of course. Average players don't make as much and need to continue working after their playing days, while top tier guys can afford to ride off into the sunset.

I think Romo could be one, at least he sounds like he knows his stuff. I wouldn't trade the broadcast booth for a coaching spot if I was him though.

Cmac

Reaction score
Who says he is a rising star? Who knows Kellen more besides the Cowboys or Linehan? Why cant people earn their position around here instead of just being handed something on a hunch? Why cant we just hire REAL, experienced, qualified people in this organization?
Agree.....I don't understand.....JJ wanting to call plays now???....Kellen Moore has not done anything to merit that role if compared to other OCs.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
And one more game he could've just as easily been split with wins and losses. Amazing how an small sample size blows my theory out of the water and well if he would've continued at that rate that would been a 9-7 season, which usually doesn't get you into the playoffs.

You said he couldnt win without Zeke. He won 4 times. That alone disproves your claim. The fact that he has actually won more than he has lost really blows your claim out of the water.

Brady is better with Bellichick, Mahones better with Kelcy, Brees better with Thomas, ect...ect... Great players around you making your job easier is what its all about.

sdfidaho

Reaction score
I know what people on here dont want. An inexperienced, in house, from the same tree as Garrett and linehan, unproven, sucked as a QB in the NFL, will defer to Garrett coach of a hire.

What fans want is someone from one of these new, innovative, high motion, disguised type offenses we are seeing popping up nowadays. They want innovation. Moore represents NONE of that.

Who has he studied behind? What influences could he possibly have had? If he was soooo great, then where was he THIS year when this offense was being predictable and boring?

A: Chris Petersen

sdfidaho

Reaction score
"Kellen Moore. is he more. or less?"

At least Moore is a chance for different. We need different. Our scheme looked so bad that any reasonable use of what we have should be better. Improving it doesn't take genius, it takes basic football sense.

But can't say until we see him whether we'll get different, even if he is. It's unclear that even if they *called* him the OC that we'll know, as the latest noise I've been hearing is that Garrett will be calling the plays next year. Presumably that means Garrett designs the offense too.

This is my true fear!!
Kellen Moore May be set up for failure because that is what JG brings to the table.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
You said he couldnt win without Zeke. He won 4 times. That alone disproves your claim. The fact that he has actually won more than he has lost really blows your claim out of the water.

Brady is better with Bellichick, Mahones better with Kelcy, Brees better with Thomas, ect...ect... Great players around you making your job easier is what its all about.

I guess it all depends on what you think of as win. I don't think Dak has shown, yet, that he can win without having a run game. I don't think he could win with the the type of gunslinger offenses that we had around here when Romo was around and we did not have a true back. At least not the type of offense that the Cowboys run. Maybe if Andy Reid was the coach and we had some form of the west coast offense here. You're entitled to your own opinion, but I think Dak needs Zeke and I'm not fine with this 4-3 without zeek thing because like I said that will just get you to 9-7, when you need to at least get to 10-6 and that 4-3 with one more game could just as easily be 4-4 which will get you to 8-8, so that 4-3 is just too small of a sample size to make me happy. Of course, you will say that 4-3 could just as easily be 5-3, but I'm not as optimistic about that as you are.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Is that what JJ was saying, or is that what was being said around the League?

Maybe. could also be if you get your OC and then future head coach moore internally, you'll have another nice puppet like Garrett which would be a plus for Jerry, maybe.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes
Over 50 games

And you say Moore has no background with an innovative offense? Did you actually watch Boise State games, or did you just eat a lot of potatoes and figure they were grown near Boise. John Gruden referred to that Boise State offense as one of the most creative and complicated he ever saw.

sdfidaho

Reaction score
And you say Moore has no background with an innovative offense? Did you actually watch Boise State games, or did you just eat a lot of potatoes and figure they were grown near Boise. John Gruden referred to that Boise State offense as one of the most creative and complicated he ever saw.

You're confusing me with the wrong side of this argument.
Nice try with the potatoes reference though....

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're confusing me with the wrong side of this argument.
Read closer and try again.
Nice try with the potatoes reference though....

I see that now, but the reason I confused it was because you answered a question that wasn’t directed at you. He was asking CowboyRoy if he had ever seen the Boise State offense, and you were the one that answered, so I thought it was you that had made the comment about Moore never having been part of an innovative offense.

sdfidaho

Reaction score
I see that now, but the reason I confused it was because you answered a question that wasn’t directed at you. He was asking CowboyRoy if he had ever seen the Boise State offense, and you were the one that answered, so I thought it was you that had made the comment about Moore never having been part of an innovative offense.

Understandable
My bad

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
All we can hope is that it's kind of like growing up with a rough childhood and learning to do the opposite for your kids. If he is promoted we have to hope he learned from his predecessors mistakes.
Yeah.

I think he has the smarts to get it rolling.

They must have indicated to him that something was up with Linehan.

That they want to expand his role.

We shall see.

I believe Sanjay was mentioned as part of that change in offense along with Moore and Garrett.

Curious if that continues.

Reactions: CWR