Kellen Moore: Let's Start Something Great

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's true, but it does shoot down the idea that Payton wouldn't be in the same room with Jerry.

I don’t think Payton has any intense dislike of Jerry, but I do doubt he would want to work in a situation where the GM is so involved in matters normally up to the head coach.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I don’t think Payton has any intense dislike of Jerry, but I do doubt he would want to work in a situation where the GM is so involved in matters normally up to the head coach.

I agree with that, but I was replying to post that said he would never work for Jerry. He has.

And I don't see Payton leaving NO for Dallas, but he wouldn't really be working for Jerry. He would be working for Steve and Will McClay (and Garrett would likely move into a front office position in that scenario). Jerry would be on the USS Floating Strip Club.

Payton doesn't really have a reason to jump, but Dallas does have a good young core of talent. Also I doubt the money would be an issue, Payton is already making 8MM a year in a league where the highest paid HC in Belicheck makes 12.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with that, but I was replying to post that said he would never work for Jerry. He has.

And I don't see Payton leaving NO for Dallas, but he wouldn't really be working for Jerry. He would be working for Steve and Will McClay (and Garrett would likely move into a front office position in that scenario). Jerry would be on the USS Floating Strip Club.

Payton doesn't really have a reason to jump, but Dallas does have a good young core of talent. Also I doubt the money would be an issue, Payton is already making 8MM a year in a league where the highest paid HC in Belicheck makes 12.

I think he meant he wouldn’t work for Jerry now. I think it’s a bit naive to think he wouldn’t be working for Jerry. Jerry has always been able to fit both business and strippers into his life

Kaiser

Reaction score
I think it’s a bit naive to think he wouldn’t be working for Jerry.

He would be, but Jerry isn't active in the day to day of the team. He is there for the big things like the final call on Linehan or cutting Dez, but it wouldn't be a situation where Jerry would micromanage Payton - which Payton wouldn't allow even if he tried.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Payton hadn’t made a name for himself at that time, nor was the head coach dealing with a GM taking more control than he should. Payton is in an entirely different position now.

That's why Payton gets more money and more control based on those conditions previously outlined. It cracks me up how much people say Garrett is untouchable yet such a clown in the same breath. Then any other coach would never want to come here because it's dysfunctional and they won't want to deal with Jerry. But as a coach wouldn't you want to be secure and "untouchable"? Paid? Have input on your personnel, players and there's no GM, then owner over your head. Like the GM has to report to the owner and the owner has to sign off. Fans realize that right? No they don't.

I'm not saying Jerry's way of running his $5 billion plus franchise that historically has 5 championships to boast is right. But i think fans need to chill a bit with the talk of how everyone is stupid and nobody wants to come here.

I got news for everybody, the whole league has to deal with Jerry and there is really no choice, even the owners. He's the most influential owner in the entire league and people think he can't get any top 3 available coach of his choosing? Then Will McClay is the GM half the league wants to hire as their GM but he's so happy to stay here get paid and have a lesser title?

You don't think Kris Richard couldn't get a DC contract and title and leave elsewhere? He's not though. Why? Right.

Not 1 player has complained about Jerry. I loved Jimmy and we could have won 4-5 championships if he was still here and everything could stay together. But Jimmy's best season with the Dolphins and a HOF QB was 10-6 and a 2-3 playoff record. He is the coach that put that stigma out about Jerry which a bunch of it is true. The big shots coming in and the hype. Yes, that's the Dallas Cowboys he bought and developed to be. Every team has it's own genuine culture. Every team. Ours happens to be a $5 billion culture in a time where players want to get paid more than ever but are capped so the coaching is the edge and boy oh boy would they like to get paid as much also.

Gruden: 10 years $100 million guaranteed. Sure he left the booth and went back to coach for the organization that traded him away.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He would be, but Jerry isn't active in the day to day of the team. He is there for the big things like the final call on Linehan or cutting Dez, but it wouldn't be a situation where Jerry would micromanage Payton - which Payton wouldn't allow even if he tried.

I don’t think that’s true. I think Jerry’s is at the Star every day and still very much a part of the day to day. Besides, to Jerry having input and influence on football mattes is a big thing.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Of course it's happening.

Not only does Jerry have to be comfortable with a yes man as HC, but now we have to make sure Garrett is comfortable too with a yes man as OC.
Heaven forbid we hire a quality OC for fear he may end up becoming a threat to Garrett.

Lmao! Believe me, every GM is a yes man to every owner they work for in this league. I'm not saying Jerry's way of structure is right but GM or no GM the owner has to sign off on that like $190 million annual cap. So that means the owner has the last say. Whether it's Mickey Loomis, John Elway, Will McClay or Stephen Jones.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's why Payton gets more money and more control based on those conditions previously outlined. It cracks me up how much people say Garrett is untouchable yet such a clown in the same breath. Then any other coach would never want to come here because it's dysfunctional and they won't want to deal with Jerry. But as a coach wouldn't you want to be secure and "untouchable"? Paid? Have input on your personnel, players and there's no GM, then owner over your head. Like the GM has to report to the owner and the owner has to sign off. Fans realize that right? No they don't.

I'm not saying Jerry's way of running his $5 billion plus franchise that historically has 5 championships to boast is right. But i think fans need to chill a bit with the talk of how everyone is stupid and nobody wants to come here.

I got news for everybody, the whole league has to deal with Jerry and there is really no choice, even the owners. He's the most influential owner in the entire league and people think he can't get any top 3 available coach of his choosing? Then Will McClay is the GM half the league wants to hire as their GM but he's so happy to stay here get paid and have a lesser title?

You don't think Kris Richard couldn't get a DC contract and title and leave elsewhere? He's not though. Why? Right.

Not 1 player has complained about Jerry. I loved Jimmy and we could have won 4-5 championships if he was still here and everything could stay together. But Jimmy's best season with the Dolphins and a HOF QB was 10-6 and a 2-3 playoff record. He is the coach that put that stigma out about Jerry which a bunch of it is true. The big shots coming in and the hype. Yes, that's the Dallas Cowboys he bought and developed to be. Every team has it's own genuine culture. Every team. Ours happens to be a $5 billion culture in a time where players want to get paid more than ever but are capped so the coaching is the edge and boy oh boy would they like to get paid as much also.

Gruden: 10 years $100 million guaranteed. Sure he left the booth and went back to coach for the organization that traded him away.

I didn’t say no coach would come to Dallas. I was only talking about Payton. And I stand by that. You mentioned Gruden, but Gruden gets to make the football decisions. He wouldn’t have gone back to coaching otherwise. Same likely applies with Payton - he likely wouldn’t make a move to a place where he has less control of football decisions than he currently does. He doesn’t have to do that. If he left NO teams all over the NFL would want him and he could pick his situation.

You mentioned Kris Richard not leaving for a DC role, but I think he will likely have the DC position in Dallas next year, so it’s not as if he is choosing to be a DB coach in Dallas over being a DC elsewhere.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You do realize he was our offensive Coordinator and knows this organization very well, right?
Payton was the one who found and vouched for Tony Romo and the team (Jerry, Parcells) listened, right?

1. If Payton has that escape clause in his contract.
2. Brees doesn't want to give it another go.
3. If Mrs. Benson is not Payton's cup of tea like Mr. Benson was.
4. Jerry wants him and will pay him, adjusts management necessarily.
5. We did not commit to our QB yet and we have a young one that Payton could like or not and have his choosing in due time. The rest of the roster is loaded and our cap situation is solid.

I know fans like to crack on Jerry, but the truth is he's nowhere as stupid as the fans think. Even from a football pedigree. You do realize this organization is valued at over $5 billion right? Most saught after in all of sports. I hear people bringing up Cowher not wanting to coach here because of the structure. Who wanted him anyways? Like what team?

Look, half the league wants to play for and coach this team. Believe me. Parcells came, anyone else would. $ matters and Jerry has shown security. The owner of every team signs the end deals, GM or no GM.
yeah but jerry had the great J Garrett, he doesnt need payton.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Lmao! Believe me, every GM is a yes man to every owner they work for in this league. I'm not saying Jerry's way of structure is right but GM or no GM the owner has to sign off on that like $190 million annual cap. So that means the owner has the last say. Whether it's Mickey Loomis, John Elway, Will McClay or Stephen Jones.

Uh ok. But not every HC is hired just to be a neutered yes man like what happens in Dallas with Jerry. And apparently now with the OC.

So Kellen Moore is the leader to be the OC, after one year as QB coach. But it gets better, even with Linehan as OC he was just calling plays, it was Garretts playbook. Now it'll be Garrett's playbook with Garrett calling plays. Sounds like Kellen Moore will be getting a new title and a raise with Garrett will be his own OC, which failed miserably the last time that happened.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Payton would NEVER take the Cowboys HC position while JJ is GM.

Sean can work with Jerry. It would be under a different arrangement than Garret has for certain, though. No way Payton would allow Jerry to hire all his staff and decide who does what........might also have to curb the post game press conferences. A small price to pay. Not happening for at least 2 years.

Ebnorice

Reaction score
Those are Boise commercials? I mean he hasn’t played there in years.

Is he really the most famous Idahoan?
You must understand. We have no pro teams. The closest pro team is the Utah Jazz . They are 5 hours away.

Those four years he played here we were a top team in the country. I believe we were ranked either number 2 or three at one point. Kellan moore never lost us a game. He single handidly one us so many.

If the broncos were down by 6 or under and two minutes to go we knew we were going to win. He was like watching Tom brady last night. You knew he was going to win.

The only reason Moore ever lost a game was because of the field goal kicker. And that my friend is no lie.

The man is so friendly to anyone and everyone.
He can never and has never done any wrong here in Boise. He still has a home here. If he completely bombed in Dallas the bronco fan base would take him back in a blink. The majority of people would want to build him a statue and fire our head coach just to give it to him.

We love Vander Esch but kellan moore is our Tom Brady.

Personally I love him and believe almost everything as everyone else. I just don’t know if it’s the right decision for Dallas to make him the oc.

Last edited: