Kelvin Martin 1991 Punt Return

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Check out the block from Issac Holt. Where did he come from? The bench? :flagwave:

ModEdit: All you need to do is copy/paste the video URL into the post and it will embed it automatically.

That play ended the Buddy Ryan's Eagles dominance of the Dallas Cowboys. That was one of those plays that changed Cowboys history.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Perhaps give himself the best chance to get in the play and make a block that would help spring the return man rather than just assume the player is going to get tackled soon after fielding the punt? Suppose Martin had needed that block 10-15 yards before he got it?
But he didn't. And Holt was in position to make a huge block which led to Kmart's touchdown. Shrug.

Rayman70

Reaction score
That's the play that seemed to ignite that 90s run.
it did..it sent a message. THEN I go back to Emmitt's Thanksgiving day performance the same year against the skins. From that day onward we were a force to be reckoned with for the next several years. A message was sent that Turkey day.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But he didn't. And Holt was in position to make a huge block which led to Kmart's touchdown. Shrug.
No, but that doesn’t excuse not making the best effort to be in that position.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
No, but that doesn’t excuse not making the best effort to be in that position.
Yeah, it does because he was where he needed to be to execute the block he did.
Now if Kmart didn't return it for a touchdown, you'd be right. But for THAT play, Holt was where he needed to be.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, it does because he was where he needed to be to execute the block he did.
Now if Kmart didn't return it for a touchdown, you'd be right. But for THAT play, Holt was where he needed to be.

lol - so your take is because Holt lucked into a play that justifies players being lazy on the field. If that's the case, why wouldn't the coaches tell all players it's okay to be lazy on the field? Why bother telling any of them they have to hustle and give their full effort from the time the ball is snapped until the whistle is blown? You're wrong on this, because more often than not lack of hustle is going to hurt the team, so the fact that one time it did not does not make being lazy justified.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
lol - so your take is because Holt lucked into a play that justifies players being lazy on the field. If that's the case, why wouldn't the coaches tell all players it's okay to be lazy on the field? Why bother telling any of them they have to hustle and give their full effort from the time the ball is snapped until the whistle is blown? You're wrong on this, because more often than not lack of hustle is going to hurt the team, so the fact that one time it did not does not make being lazy justified.
Whatever. It happened nearly three decades ago. I'm moving on.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
well, you shouldn't have engaged with me at all if you didn't want to talk about it. But, okay, let's move on.
Actually, I have been engaging you. But I'm trying to cut back on these long, drawn-out discussions that, after a point, become a "Who's going to yield first because we're too adamant and stubborn in the rightness of our position to relent" debate. Hence, my concession and my departure from this conversation.
Peace. :)

Rayman70

Reaction score
My second favorite moment only to Tony Dorsett 99 yard td run.
Have to go with 1979 Roger Staubach game winning pass as time ran out against the skins. That's my number one Fave.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I need more Cathy Lee Crosby in my life..
I know!

Time to watch The Dark.
51F0E202JXL.jpg

Was hoping to find a reference to this classic on a Cowboys forum today. Was not disappointed.

sideon

Reaction score
I love watching games from the 90s, because it reminds me of being a kid and just sitting on the floor watching the Cowboys while playing with my transformers.

mrmojo

Reaction score
That is a mystery on Holt. Only thing I can think of is he either got hurt or was being lazy. Why else would he still have been at that end of the field?
He was rushing the kicker....then probbaly just hung back in case there was a return. Holt was a monster on special teams, he had a knack for blocking kicks....was a good pick up for the Cowboys at the time.