News: Kentucky Staff Member Discusses Quinton Bohanna

kskboys

Reaction score
The human frame was not designed to carry 300 pounds. No one has a frame for 300 pounds.

The athletes themselves even talk about it and are willing to do the long term damage to their bodies to make big money in that small window.

Most migrate toward a much more natural weight after quitting football.
Yes, they do. Man, you haven't met any big people, apparently.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Yes, they do. Man, you haven't met any big people, apparently.

Yes, I have met and seen many big people. Lots of people carrying 50-100 pounds more than they should. I don’t think their internal organs are digging the extra weight. The knees probably aren’t happy campers either. No, the exception does not make the rule.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes, I have met and seen many big people. Lots of people carrying 50-100 pounds more than they should. I don’t think their internal organs are digging the extra weight. The knees probably aren’t happy campers either. No, the exception does not make the rule.
My roommate a few years back was 6-5/350. His correct weight, as he told me himself, was around 320. His calves were bigger than my waist.

Have you really not ever met anyone like that?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The human frame was not designed to carry 300 pounds. No one has a frame for 300 pounds.

The athletes themselves even talk about it and are willing to do the long term damage to their bodies to make big money in that small window.

Most migrate toward a much more natural weight after quitting football.
untrue, 6'-4" tall, 300lbs is normal

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
My roommate a few years back was 6-5/350. His correct weight, as he told me himself, was around 320. His calves were bigger than my waist.

Have you really not ever met anyone like that?

The guy who sits next to me at work was a former OL in college. 6-5 350 pounds 15 years ago and with a lot of serious health issues now.

Even a person at 6-5 does not have the frame for 300 pounds.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
A player lasts to the sixth round because of deficiencies in his game. Even though Cowboys fans are excited about Bohanna, he is still just a late-round pick.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I hope he finds the happy medium that works best for him and us. He is a massive human being and could easily balloon to well over 400lbs if he let himself go. That, I believe would derail any chance he has at being a good NFL player. Money and success can be huge motivators to get in shape and, more importantly, to stay there. But when someone is that big, it isn't really healthy for them to try and stay as thin as possible either. It goes against the natural body process and can be detrimental to his health.
For football purposes I think he needs to find that balance of being able to play well and not do his body any long term harm working too hard trying to stay to "light".

I'm speculating here because I don't know his body but IMHO, at 6'7", I would say anything under 330lbs maybe a little too light for his frame. He could have some success at that weight early on in his career, but I don't his body would hold up in the long run. 360lbs is probably too heavy to be effective very long also.
His best weight maybe more like 345lbs.
Bohanna is NOT 6’7”. He’s around 6’4”. Urban, who was thrust into the conversation, is 6’7”.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Immobile NT's are useless. I had no idea that was the argument. Seriously, when did this become the parameters?

It appears as if people don't understand the NT position at all. And think about it, a stiff at ANY position is useless, not just this one.
Are we doing the "You dont know anything about football thing again?". Trust me I understand the NT position and the 1T postion and the 3T.

If you are going to talk to people like they are stupid or you are superior, then dont do what you did the first paragraph. It was the parameter when I said zone blocking schemes have made immoble NT's useless

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Not several, 2. He was undersized and it started to really affect him physically, causing his effectiveness to quickly wane.
He was good for more than 2 years, but yes, it did wear on him and probably shortened his effectiveness and the length of his career. That and the fact that he became a disgruntled player.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Ratliff wasn't a block eating NT and he wasn't 6'7" either.

Nobody in the history of the league has been an effective true NT at that size. They don't even get the chance to because its stupid to try.

This may literally be the dumbest thing ever talked about on this board and you guys have come up with some real doozies over the years.

What makes a good to great NT/1T is a player having the mindset that they know their job is to keep others clean...and have enough ability through either strength or quickness to CONSISTENTLY (this is key) handle double teams. I think Bohanna will eventually be able to do this.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What makes a good to great NT/1T is a player having the mindset that they know their job is to keep others clean...and have enough ability through either strength or quickness to CONSISTENTLY (this is key) handle double teams. I think Bohanna will eventually be able to do this.

That and, ya know, the physical attributes to do it.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unless you're Dontari Poe

Poe was good initially. Now he seems to have lost his love for the game. I don't know what point you think you're making. Someone 6'7" and 290 lbs is not cut out for NT in the NFL. If you line him up there he will get manhandled on a weekly basis.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Poe was good initially. Now he seems to have lost his love for the game. I don't know what point you think you're making. Someone 6'7" and 290 lbs is not cut out for NT in the NFL. If you line him up there he will get manhandled on a weekly basis.

Touche

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
One of the things I wonder about Poe is his combination of size and athleticism. Very similar to Leonard Davis, and Davis fell off a cliff 5-7 years before OG's start to show their age. I wonder if those massive 350 lbs+ with elite athleticism just have a shorter shelf life athletically

kskboys

Reaction score
The guy who sits next to me at work was a former OL in college. 6-5 350 pounds 15 years ago and with a lot of serious health issues now.

Even a person at 6-5 does not have the frame for 300 pounds.
Simply not necessarily true. Can't put people in a one size fits all box.

kskboys

Reaction score
He was good for more than 2 years, but yes, it did wear on him and probably shortened his effectiveness and the length of his career. That and the fact that he became a disgruntled player.
No, he wasn't. The middle was weak when he was NT. He got 5-6 sacks a couple years running, and was mostly subpar after that.