Kevin Burnett just validates Clinton Portis' Criticisms

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
He is on Michael Irvin's Show now.

Clinton Portis said that the Cowboys defense seems to be out of position alot and constantly argue amongest themselves.

Kevin Kylie asked Kevin Burnett if that was true and he basically said it was true. He said if you look at a team like the Giants, they play solid defense. He said that the Cowboys defense routinely let guys run free. Now, when asked specifically about whether they argue amongst each other, he stated that they "talk amongst each other".

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
I actually didn't mind seeing Kevin Hamlin getting all over players' ***** last game... if not him, who else is gonna do it?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
xWraithx;2418102 said:
I actually didn't mind seeing Kevin Hamlin getting all over players' ***** last game... if not him, who else is gonna do it?

Who's Kevin Hamlin? Is he that guy that dresses Rowdy?

khiladi

Reaction score
xWraithx;2418102 said:

Word on the street is that Ken Hamlin was saying it wasn't his fault...

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
khiladi;2418112 said:
Word on the street is that Ken Hamlin was saying it wasn't his fault...

what? word on my street is Ken Hamlin knows who did it... but he doesn't want to come across as being a snitch... Ken Hamlin ain't no stoolie! jk

khiladi

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2418084 said:
He is on Michael Irvin's Show now.

Clinton Portis said that the Cowboys defense seems to be out of position alot and constantly argue amongest themselves.

Kevin Kylie asked Kevin Burnett if that was true and he basically said it was true. He said if you look at a team like the Giants, they play solid defense. He said that the Cowboys defense routinely let guys run free. Now, when asked specifically about whether they argue amongst each other, he stated that they "talk amongst each other".

And yet, we have people on this board saying our defense isn't really a problem. If players are out of position, it spells of a few things:1. Poor coaching2. Too much information overload for the playersThe latter seems to be one clear issue, because Wade talked about simplifying things...

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
khiladi;2418116 said:
And yet, we have people on this board saying our defense isn't really a problem. If players are out of position, it spells of a few things:1. Poor coaching2. Too much information overload for the playersThe latter seems to be one clear issue, because Wade talked about simplifying things...

The defense is clearly a problem, it has been that way for a long time. As a matter of fact, this is precisely why Wade Phillips was hired.

Kevin Burnett was extremely frank in that interview.

When a player comes on National Radio and says, "Our defense constantly allows guys to run free", that should tell you all you need to know about a defensive unit.

1fisher

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2418132 said:
The defense is clearly a problem, it has been that way for a long time. As a matter of fact, this is precisely why Wade Phillips was hired.

When a player comes on National Radio and says, "Our defense constantly allows guys to run free", that should tell you all you need to know about a defensive unit.

No-sir-e-bob.... the sky ain't fallin' in Dallas.........:laugh2:

khiladi

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2418132 said:

What bothers me is that it is way more complicated to run all sorts of zone schemes, as opposed to man. It is like these players have to many responsibilities on their mind. Why Wade doesn't simplify to more press and man befuddles the hell out of me...

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
khiladi;2418159 said:
What bothers me is that it is way more complicated to run all sorts of zone schemes, as opposed to man. It is like these players have to many responsibilities on their mind. Why Wade doesn't simplify to more press and man befuddles the hell out of me...

Defense comes down to beating the man in front of you who trys to block you.

If he beats you, the defense will suffer.

It's an attitude.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
He didn't explain why people are running free, or what the problem is?

I mean, poor preparation, young players having to think too much, etc.?

Gmonkey21

Reaction score
My take...

This team lacks LEADERSHIP and INTELIGENCE from ONE player on the Defensive side of the ball. An alpha dog so to speak...

Remember back in Darren Woodsons days? With far inferior talent, Woody always had our guys in position and they played better as a unit. We need a solid field general. Someone that is experienced and commands respect from his teammates.

Problem is, I don't think we have that guy on the roster! I was hoping Zach Thomas would have filled that role better than he has. I know that is why they brought him in.

As much as I hate to say it, we have a "dumb" and "leaderless" defensive unit, just like Parcels pointed out a couple years ago.

All the talent in the world and nothing to show for it!!!

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2418189 said:
He didn't explain why people are running free, or what the problem is?

I mean, poor preparation, young players having to think too much, etc.?

I think it's ****ty coaching......

Reaction score
The problem with Hamlin yelling is he doesn't make plays so why should they listen to him??? Terence Newman needs to take command of that secondary and light their ***** up if they're messing up!

AKATheRake

Reaction score
xWraithx;2418102 said:

Got my vote. If I was Portis I wouldn't want anyone on the opposition straightening out the opposing defense either. At the same time, it is admitting to a mental laps during the game and the opposing offense can feed off of that as well.

There are 2 sides to the coin. The bottom line is guys are running free, we're not making the tackle on first contact and guys are noticeably out of position. When all 3 of those are going bad on defense someone needs to be called out and the mental laps could not get any worse so if the opposition wants to feed off of it how much could they possibly.

Hamlin and Newman need to get on some kids out there if need be.

Iago33

Reaction score
AKATheRake;2418893 said:
Got my vote. If I was Portis I wouldn't want anyone on the opposition straightening out the opposing defense either. At the same time, it is admitting to a mental laps during the game and the opposing offense can feed off of that as well.

There are 2 sides to the coin. The bottom line is guys are running free, we're not making the tackle on first contact and guys are noticeably out of position. When all 3 of those are going bad on defense someone needs to be called out and the mental laps could not get any worse so if the opposition wants to feed off of it how much could they possibly.

Hamlin and Newman need to get on some kids out there if need be.

I'm sorry--you probably make good points--but I'm too busy trying to picture these "mental laps." What would that look like?

Really, it's just a typo, but I couldn't stop thinking about it.