Kickoffs tweaked further

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
But it opens up more of the field with fewer people to cover it
I watched Sean Peyton talking about it and he thinks onside kicks will go up
It takes away the old way but opens up a easier new way

What in the rule changes you listed "opens up more of the field"? I don't see it at all.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
on kick off they should revert to flag foot ball. Or just have the kicker and 3 players and the offenses side the returner and 3 blockers..

conner01

Reaction score
What in the rule changes you listed "opens up more of the field"? I don't see it at all.
8 players have to be on the line
Only two can be back blocking plus returner
The space between the two blockers and the line is open. There are no players there
The two blockers have to cover that space in the even a kick bounces over the front 8
If they play up closer then they are farther from the returner to block for him
the success rate of onside kicks will likely go up because more teams will attempt them
Sean Peyton had a nice interview about it that you should find and read
He thinks many teams will attempt more onside kicks because he thinks the success rate will go up
The old way is impossible now without the running start, so teams will adapt and use different approaches

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
8 players have to be on the line
Only two can be back blocking plus returner
The space between the two blockers and the line is open. There are no players there
The two blockers have to cover that space in the even a kick bounces over the front 8
If they play up closer then they are farther from the returner to block for him
the success rate of onside kicks will likely go up because more teams will attempt them
Sean Peyton had a nice interview about it that you should find and read
He thinks many teams will attempt more onside kicks because he thinks the success rate will go up
The old way is impossible now without the running start, so teams will adapt and use different approaches

8 men required on the line. Didn't know that.

For expected onside kicks, I don't see that anything has changed. They put everyone they can up to the line.

For the unexpected, it's two countervailing changes. Forcing 8 men of the kick return team on the live versus not letting kick coverage have a running start. Probably makes it a little harder on the kick return. Having to run back to cover the space sounds harder than having the onside kick in front of you and coming forward for it.

The 8 men on the line probably reduces injuries overall, but it likely leaves the returner exposed to a pounding by unblocked coverage players.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
These are the yearly "pass some rule changes because we can" rule changes. The league seems to think they're obligated to make some kind of rule changes every year.

conner01

Reaction score
8 men required on the line. Didn't know that.

For expected onside kicks, I don't see that anything has changed. They put everyone they can up to the line.

For the unexpected, it's two countervailing changes. Forcing 8 men of the kick return team on the live versus not letting kick coverage have a running start. Probably makes it a little harder on the kick return. Having to run back to cover the space sounds harder than having the onside kick in front of you and coming forward for it.

The 8 men on the line probably reduces injuries overall, but it likely leaves the returner exposed to a pounding by unblocked coverage players.
The expected is probably harder though the vast majority were unsuccessful before
The unexpected I think could be easier
You may see different types of players in coverage teams too. You need to be able to block/ tackle but you also need some speed

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Attention Tavon Austin, and all Cowboys headed for the kickoff teams.

The kickoff continues to be tweaked. New this year:

1. Kickoff coverage guys can no longer get a running start. They now have to line up within one yard of the 35-yard line. (This helps the return game.)

2. Kickoffs will be ruled touchbacks the second they hit the end zone on the ground. (Makes sense to avoid unnecessary hits on blocks upfield.)

3. No more 2 or 3 man blocking wedges to double-team guys. (This helps coverage units.)

It seems like they're trying to save the kickoff somehow instead of eliminating it altogether. Not sure it will work. There is a lot of potential strategy to the kickoff, not the least of which is the onsides kick. Especially the surprise variety you see sometimes early in games. The kickoff needs to stay.

Meanwhile, perhaps this could be good for Austin if the coverage guys are a little slower getting downfield.

To me this does the opposite of saving the kickoff because if the coverage team can't get a running start it kind of takes out the idea of intentionally kicking short of the goal line in an effort to pin the receiving team back against its goal line.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Going to be tough getting onside kicks without a running start.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Football is entertainment now and not football the way many of us remember it to be. I can see trying to protect the players but it's football. It's a freakin' contact sport. Are they gonna do away with fighting in hockey; or boxing; or MMA? Then why keep changing football?

loublue22

Reaction score
Can't wait to watch other teams take advantage of this in ways our coaches can't dream of

jay94

Reaction score
More bad changes, I guess at least more kickoffs should be returned now, which should make it more entertaining for the viewer. I sware one of the worst parts of the NFL is touchdown, commercial, kick off followed by another commercial where the team is getting the ball now since last year on the 25.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
These are the yearly "pass some rule changes because we can" rule changes. The league seems to think they're obligated to make some kind of rule changes every year.
This is way different.

This is a reaction to the concussion lawsuit situation.

I get it, it is a tough circumstance. The obvious solution changes the game. In lieu of that, they have to make tweaks to hope it alleviates things.