News: Kinlaw wins week. TE's Bryant and Trautman emerge. WR Van Jefferson impresses

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ers-javon-kinlaw-won-the-week-two-qbs-flashed

I was hoping Bryant would keep flying under the radar but it appears that he's starting to get noticed. He's gone from UDFA before the season, to 5th round sleeper, to maybe being the "steal of the draft" if he falls past the 3rd round, to maybe being one of the top TE's in the draft. Sounds like Trautman is climbing up the TE boards as well.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
This is a deeper WR class than I originally thought. Not the highest need but could be some good talent available the third day.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
They keep commenting on how deep this class is
It’s not an immediate need but Cobb ain’t no spring chicken and at some point the quality may be too good to pass up

They were calling it an "historically deep" WR class even before underclassmen started to declare. There shouldn't be a problem finding a WR that can contribute right away. That's why I think we should focus more on defense early in the draft.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is a deeper WR class than I originally thought. Not the highest need but could be some good talent available the third day.
They were calling it an "historically deep" WR class even before underclassmen started to declare. There shouldn't be a problem finding a WR that can contribute right away. That's why I think we should focus more on defense early in the draft.
3rd WR is a spot that is worth a day 2 pick in todays NFL. I wouldn't be surprised if we go there somewhere in rounds 3 and 4.

Also consider that Gallup may get extended after 2020 and his contract is up 2021. Keep him or let walk, they may look to add cheap talent to that position as opposed to vets like Cobb

cowboyec

Reaction score
i've been impressed by Gators WR Van Jefferson most of the season.
lotta WRs i like...
☆James Proche,Smu
☆KJ Hill,Ohio St
☆KJ Hammler,Penn St
☆Van Jefferson,Florida
☆Tyler Johnson,Minnesota
☆Denzel Mims,Baylor
☆Bryan Edwards,S Carolina
☆Collin Johnson,Texas

just give me 1 of them and I'll be a happy fan.

conner01

Reaction score
I agree
But later on you might get a steal
Hopefully at some position we get a guy with punt return skills
We have to go D with first 3 picks if at all possible assuming the quality is there

Beaker42

Reaction score
3rd day wideouts usually aren’t much help.

cnuball21

Reaction score
It's a pretty good TE class. I don't think there are any 1st rounders, but a handful of dudes in the top 100 that can turn into starters.

Flamma

Reaction score
I was hoping Bryant would keep flying under the radar but it appears that he's starting to get noticed. He's gone from UDFA before the season, to 5th round sleeper, to maybe being the "steal of the draft" if he falls past the 3rd round, to maybe being one of the top TE's in the draft. Sounds like Trautman is climbing up the TE boards as well.

I'm seeing Bryant as a late 2nd round pick now. Behind only Kmet. I'm not sure he'll be there when we pick in the 3rd round let alone past it.

They keep commenting on how deep this class is
It’s not an immediate need but Cobb ain’t no spring chicken and at some point the quality may be too good to pass up

That's the thing, how much do we ignore WR? If a top 3 WR is there in the first, just ignore it? Are we happy at TE? I personally think our D underachieved with a poor defensive game plan. I think our D as is would play better under a new coaching staff, just not sure if that would be good enough.

I'm more worried about the offense. I don't think it's as good as people are making them out to be. Similar to what happened from '16 to '17.

conner01

Reaction score
I'm seeing Bryant as a late 2nd round pick now. Behind only Kmet. I'm not sure he'll be there when we pick in the 3rd round let alone past it.

That's the thing, how much do we ignore WR? If a top 3 WR is there in the first, just ignore it? Are we happy at TE? I personally think our D underachieved with a poor defensive game plan. I think our D as is would play better under a new coaching staff, just not sure if that would be good enough.

I'm more worried about the offense. I don't think it's as good as people are making them out to be. Similar to what happened from '16 to '17.
The D did under perform but look at the numbers and you see why D has to be a big part of the draft AND FA
Hill and Crawford DT’s under contract
3 CB becoming FA incl 2 preferred starters and virtual all the rest next year
The top two defensive linemen in sacks last year are FA
There is no doubt the D under performed last year and the new staff may very well fix that but you still have to have players to fix
I would not touch a WR in top 2 rounds even if a guy fell. You know if the top few fall to 17 there is a reason
We have to hit 2-3 starters in this draft and the best way to get those guys are at positions you don’t have good players
We have good receivers but we could use a slot guy, a guy with return skills. Cobb is probably coming back but has some age on him. But that’s got to be a later pick

Flamma

Reaction score
The D did under perform but look at the numbers and you see why D has to be a big part of the draft AND FA
Hill and Crawford DT’s under contract
3 CB becoming FA incl 2 preferred starters and virtual all the rest next year
The top two defensive linemen in sacks last year are FA
There is no doubt the D under performed last year and the new staff may very well fix that but you still have to have players to fix
I would not touch a WR in top 2 rounds even if a guy fell. You know if the top few fall to 17 there is a reason
We have to hit 2-3 starters in this draft and the best way to get those guys are at positions you don’t have good players
We have good receivers but we could use a slot guy, a guy with return skills. Cobb is probably coming back but has some age on him. But that’s got to be a later pick

Last draft I was all for picking up D with our 2nd round pick until DK Metcalf fell. I was hoping Dallas would pick him. Had they done that then this entire conversation would be pointless. But they didn't.

I don't think I would pass up Kinlaw in the first if he's there. But if not, I'd look first to WR if someone dropped. Or an offensive lineman that may have dropped. The reason may be that teams had other needs.

I don't think our D needs immediate attention. I just don't. Retain Quinn and Bennett, and maybe pick up a beast DT through FA or trade and let the rest take care of itself. The 49ers are in the SB and will probably win it in part due to their defensive front. The other half is their OLine and TE.

If the players are there I'd go WR and TE in the first two rounds. If they're there.

conner01

Reaction score
I think a 4th or even 5th round pick this year could be a walk on 3rd WR for alot of teams
Exactly
This class of WR’s has great depth
And it gives you time to develope the player since he would likely be 4th WR this year
And if he can return punts you really get a chance to use a later rnd pick

visionary

Reaction score

I would be ok getting a WR with speed who can stretch the field and return kicks

Creeper

Reaction score
With Cobb a free agent, along with Cooper who will be asking for about $18 million a year, it would be wise for the Cowboys to play close attention to the WRs in this draft.