Kiper Invitational mock draft chatter....

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A little overview of what I did and why I did it.

When I was assigned the Panthers I knew their one biggest issue was protecting Cam Newton. They don't need one starting OT, they could really use two. This position would break any and all ties for me. I wouldn't have expected to finish this draft without one. I figured I'd find value somewhere but it turned out I didn't. At least not in my estimation.

I'm going to make this as short as possible and not try to whistle dixie like I landed a home run at every pick.

1(25) Todd Gurley RB Georgia
The early run on OTs caused me to shift gears. With the way the league is set up now, this pick only proves to be a good one if Gurley can be a special running back. I'm talking top tier. IMO, he's a top 10 talent in this draft easily. Too much value. I'm also not a big fan of the Panthers' aging stable of RBs. It's time to turn the page.

2(64) Phillip Dorsett WR Miami
I considered OT Daryl Williams at my original pick at 57 but ultimately felt he was a better 3rd round value so I traded down with New England for their 2nd and 3rd round picks. This is another selection I never expected to make. I just found the dynamic vertical stretch ability of this player too tempting to pass up at this spot. I know he's limited. I'm not drafting him to be one of the best all around WRs in the game. I'm drafting him to be my DeSean Jackson or Mike Wallace. I figure at worst he'll be the best Dorsett to ever play in the league.

What?

My new look offense now features Newton under center, Gurley in the backfield and Olsen, Benjamin and Dorsett running routes. That could be very dynamic.

3(82) Tre Jackson G Florida St.
I traded my 5th and 7th round picks to Atlanta to position myself to land what I believe is a walk on starter for the Panthers. I couldn't do anything about the OT position (with the value as I saw it, you may disagree), but I could fix one of the OG spots. Jackson's a road grader but he can move as well. He's a nice compliment to Trai Turner and gives the Panthers a solid interior wall in front of Newton. I just hope they did something in FA to address the edges.

With a 3rd, 5th and 7th round picks invested in him, he must turn out to be a quality starter or it was a bad selection.

3(96) Lynden Trail DE Norfolk St.
Athletic size/speed type. Highly productive on a lower level. The Panthers would have to be creative with Trail as he's not the traditional hand in the dirt, down defensive end. At least not yet. Move him around. Let him play the elephant position. Maximize his athleticism. He figures to stand out during the workouts. High upside flyer.

Note: I strongly considered D.J. Humphries T Florida with this pick. I didn't expect either player to make it to my next pick and wanted both. So no matter who I picked, I regretted the other.

4(121) Grady Jarrett DT Clemson
Why was this guy here? Seriously. He could have gone in the 2nd round and I wouldn't have been surprised by it. The Panthers have a real nice starting DT tandem with Lotulelei and Short but their backups are old and marginal. He's undersized but even in the worst case scenario that he's not a full time player (I do not agree), he can be effective in a rotation and provide nice depth. This was a continuation of sticking with value. I didn't make this pick. The 120 picks before it made this pick for me.

I already did my grading. I gave 4 teams the number equivalent of an A grade, with one team...Chicago...the best grade.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Here is the thought process behind what the Cincy Bengals did this year in the Mel Kiper Jr Invitational.

In the first round i was actually pretty surprised to see Malcom Brown fall to me. I have him rated as a top 15 borderline top 10 player this year. So when he was sitting there it was really a no brainer. I did have defensive end targeted as my #1 priority. Had Winston began to fall i would have moved up and sold the farm. The other player i had hopes for was Parker falling all the way to me but he went a few picks before me. With the idea of Brown and Atkins lined up next to each other I'm very happy.

In the second round I really had my heart set on Perryman and was contemplating trying to move up for him. Never pullec the trigger and he did t slide. However, a highly rated se ond round player in Preston Smith did fall to me. I believe he has all the tools to be a day one starter and contributer. At this point I feel like I have addressed my concerns on the d-line very well by adding 2 day 1 starters.

Round three was very wide open to me. I had RB's DTs and CBs all rated very close to one another that were available to me. I did feel that drafting a RB was not a very useful way to spend my resources. I hate letting needs lead my astray from my BPA strategy, but I couldnt justify a back with Gio and Hill already on the squad. I went with my next rated guy in Kevin White. There were bigger corners availabe at the time but I dont see the versatility in them that I do in White.

In the 4th round i was having a dilema with Lockett, Montgomery, and Lippett on the board. Locketts size does concern me but he is too good at everything else to pass up. I think he can be a very nice complement to AJ and Sanu as well as a safety outlet for Dalton with how well he runs routes.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How the draft spun for Atlanta...

I'll give some insight on how/why I selected the players I did for the Falcons:

1(8) Vic Beasley OLB Clemson-This was a difficult spot for me. Ray, Fowler and Gregory all went off the board prior to Atlanta being scheduled to pick. You wouldn't see another defensive front-7 guy come off the board until pick #15. While the Falcons had some offensive line issues last season, most of those were due to injuries and I couldn't see spending a first on an OT. So bottom line it was Beasley or trade down, which I did attempt. Anyway, I thought I did the best I could at the spot for the Falcons.

2(42) Alex Carter CB Stanford-As the 2nd round started up I was interested in McKinney, the ILB from Mississippi St, but he went off the board at #37. And by the time I picked, there had already been mini-runs on OT's, DT's, OLB's and WR's. But with the Falcons pass defense being a sieve and Alex Carter, who one draft guide had rated as the 30th best player was still on the board, so he became the pick.

3(89) Charles Gaines CB Louisville-I had two trade downs to end up at this spot. In those trade downs I netted Atlanta a 4th round pick in 2016 and a 5th & 7th rounder in 2015. I was originally targeting Rashad Greene WR Florida St., who Hos selected one spot ahead of me. Looking at all my other options I saw that Charles Gaines was still available, and while I didn't need another corner, Gaines was the 49th best player on my board (one spot below Greene) so Gaines was it.

4(104) Ben Koyack TE Notre Dame- The Falcons needed help at WR, TE and RB, and it was my hope a good value player was available at this spot in the 4th round. One thing I didn't want to do was reach. So my spot came up and Koyack was there. He 72nd rated player on my board and Mayock had him as the 5th TE. I thought he was a very good value at this point.

Added 2016 4th Round Pick (Indianapolis)

Remaining Selections - 5(138), 5(153), 6(169), 7(200), 7(202), 7(217)

Original Selections - 1(8), 2(42), 3(73), 4(104), 5(138), 6(169), 7(200), 7(202)

Overall I thought it was a decent haul. I think my 1st round pick was the only one where I couldn't say I didn't get good value and Beasley seemed to be a choice from 8 to 14 on most of the mocks I viewed.

DuDa

Reaction score
I was in a tough spot with the Cardinals because I really really needed a QB but just nothing was available within reason at pick 24.

My next biggest need was some pass rush which I got when I traded up and got the last elite pass rushing prospect in Alvin "Bud" Dupree. I lost two 3's but it is worth the risk for an impact player.

After that I had the mindset of taking pure BPA and stayed true to my board when I took Ifo Ekpre-Olomu in the second round. He was the highest rated player on my board when I took him.

It was a very long wait for my last pick in the 4th. I decided BPA within reason was the way to go and ended up getting a good sleeper guard in Ali Marpet. I really debated taking Petty or Grayson here but I think both would have been a massive reach as they need lots of work in order to be anything that even resembles and NFL quarterback.

Well there you have it. I honestly grade my draft a 7 out of 10--given what I had to work with.

Last edited:

Questfor6

Reaction score
Thought process into the Browns draft:

Pick 3 Amari Cooper: I had previously contacted the GM of Jaguars about a trade and he gave price then as long as his guy (turned out to be Leonard Williams) was gone. With Josh Gordon being a complete dud along with not acquiring a single WR via the 2014 draft it became #1 priority. I also took into account Cooper that Oakland would like to get their hands on a talented WR so that's why I jumped in front to snag Amari.

Pick 19 Ereck Flowers: Cleveland established themselves as a run first team in 2014 even with shoddy play from Mitchell Schwartz at RT. Flowers is a top 15 talent and could eventually switch to LT when Joe Thomas hangs his cleats up.

Pick 41 Eric Kendricks: I hate the idea of giving of a number 1 for next yr but Kendricks to me was a top 20 player. The drop off from him/Perryman/Dawson to the next tier of ILB's was too huge for me not to swing a deal and grab one of the best players left on the board.

Pick 77 Mario Edwards Jr: Another case of BPA on my board and another guy who can help the Browns bottom 10 run defense from last season. Prior to last season many experts pegged Edwards as a first rounder.

Pick 112 Nick O'Leary: Cameron has made it clear he isn't returning next season so TE is a high priority. I debated on Funchess at 19 but he's more of a WR in my eyes. O'Leary has been extremely productive over the last 2 seasons at FSU with multiple weapons around him. Have to admit I was going to take Justin Hardy at this pick but @Floaty jacked him 2 picks earlier.

tm1119

Reaction score
Thought process for the Texans

1st round- Actually had this pick all but traded 3 picks before #16. My stipulation was that I wanted to wait and see if either Landon Collins or Danny Shelton were still on the board. Turned out my potential trade partner actually leaped frog 1 pick ahead of me to get Dupree right after Collins went leaving me with Shelton still on the board. Shelton fits comfortably into the top 10 of my big board making the pick a no brainer. He's a potential difference maker and can make JJ Watt even more dangerous.

2nd round- 6' with 4.4 (or under) speed in the 2nd? Sign me up. I think Devin Smith is a steal in the mid 2nd. His nfl comparison is a bigger deasean jackson

3rd round- I believe Donovan Smith is a future starting NFL LT and I also believe his former coach Bill O'Brien thinks so too. Huge, long arms, quick feet...not much to dislike about this guy.

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
San Francisco 49ers (L-O-Jete)
First of this was very hard because I have no idea what the new "regime" will be looking for so I went heavy on BPA leaning towards keeping the same philosophy...

1(24) Arik Armstead DE Oregon
Traded down because I knew I could get the best 5-tech DE not named Leonard (who I had no shot at) and gained a 3rd this year and another next year, whish I could have gotten more, but you take what you can get.

2(46) Sammie Coates WR Auburn
Boldin is their chain mover, they've got Ellison for the slot, but if this guy gets his hands right the sky is the limit, might end up being better than Watkins if he does.

3(79) T.J. Yeldon RB Alabama
Frank Gore needs to be replaced, this guy will be the perfect complement to Hyde, actually it will be the other way around, Hyde will be the complement.

3(86) John Miller G Louisville
This was a bit of a miscommunication, I had to leave a list for both my 3rd rounders, list a) for the first pick and when I saw there was a good chance non of them would be there I sent a second list, Guys from my 1st list did make it and this would have been Senquez (taking care of the slot CB), but no worries because this guy will be the leader of the Line in a couple of years, the glue that holds a very good OL...

4(123) Josh Shaw CB USC
Character concerns... There actually is only one and it was blown way out of proportion. The kid got scared, but he's lived up to it now and the talent and love of football is 1st round quality.

Added 2016 3rd Round Pick (Arizona)

Remaining Selections - 5(143), 6(174), 7(221)

Original Selections - 1(15), 2(46), 3(79), 4(123), 5(143), 6(174), 7(221)

DFWJC

Reaction score
Keeping in mind we all like the players we took or we wouldn't have taken them, here was what I thinking for the Jets' draft

1(6)
Marcus Mariota

QB, Oregon
(6-4, 220)
He could go 1st overall. But even if this was the 2nd pick, I may not have taken Mariota (Leonard would have been hard to pass up). Nevertheless, this was the 6th pick and the Jets aren't happy with their QB situation. They also have a new GM and head coach—which often means time for a new QB.
The upside here is tremendous, so they seized a rare opportunity to potentially get a future superstar. He'll need top level coaching, but he has the physical skill-set, mental make-up and athletic ability to really shine in the future.
And again…this was the 6th pick. At that point, I really liked the player, team fit, and value.

2(37)
Benardrick McKinney
ILB, Miss State
(6-5, 245)
I saw this guy play a lot this year. McKinney is going to start right away. He could go as early as the mid first round but even if not, I still thought he was good value in the 2nd round….and especially for a team that needs ILB help. He's a real leader and stalker in the middle.. He also has good instincts and is a good blitzer. I really like Perryman as well, though they are two different players and he was already gone anyway. It's a tossup…some (Mayock) prefer McKinney and some (McShay) prefer Perryman. I was happy to get one of them in the 2nd round and I'm not sure Mayock was hyping when he said this is the next Lavonte David. He's also been called a poor man's Brian Urlacher..lol. I guess we'll find out.

3(70).
Nelson Agholor,
WR, USC
(6-1, 190)
"Young Reggie Wayne", come on down. No really, I liked the value here but I did have my eye on a couple of lineman that went a few slots before him. Still, this guy is a very good all-around WR who runs nice routes, catches the ball with his hands, was extremely productive in a pro-style offense in a major conference. A lot of people are projecting him to go in the 2nd round. Daniel Jeramiah has him ranked 39th. The Jets are going to drop Harvin and his outsized contract, so there's a place for a guy with Agbohor's skill-set.

4(101)
Josue Matias,
OG, Florida State
(6-6, 331 lbs)
I was pretty thrilled that he was there in the 4th. This man is huge, quick for his size and a smooth on his feet. He can gobble up defenders The Jets need o-line help and I think Matias could help them fairly early on. I almost took Humphries here because he also has nice upside, but decided Matias was still better value overall. It's always fun to see how these things pan out. I've seen Matias ranked all the way up to the early-mid 2nd round with whispers of him going at the end of the 1st (doubt that) but in any case, the value and need matched well for the 101st pick. The combine will help him also, I think.
Don't be surprised if this guy starts right away for New York.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I'll give it a go:

Going in:
Despite making the AFC Championship, the Colts have needs basically everywhere but QB. Their interior O-line is weak, they're likely losing veteran WRs Reggie Wayne and Hakeem Nicks, they've all but admitted that the Trent Richardson trade was a disaster, their pass defense was one of the worst in the league, and they're likely losing defensive veterans S Mike Adams and DE Cory Redding.

1st round (29): Dorial Green-Beckham WR Oklahoma
I knew that four of the most talented players in the entire draft (RBs Gurley and Gordon, WR DGB and CB Marcus Peters) might fall out of the top 20. Lucky for me, DGB was the last one left. I grabbed him without hesitation.

2nd round: Traded pick 61 (2nd) for picks 82 (3rd), 113 (4th) and a 2016 4th
Since I didn't grab CB Peters in the 1st, I was hoping that Ifo Ekpre-Olomu would fall to me at 61. He was projected as one of the top CBs before recently tearing his ACL. Unfortunately, he was gone so I swapped my pick for three picks.

3rd round: Traded picks 82 (3rd) and a 2016 4th for pick 73 (3rd)
I flipped the #82 pick I just acquired and one of my future 4th rounders to move up 9 spots in the 3rd round to #73. I call it a win because I just acquired Houston's 2016 4th rounder, so I gave away my 2016 4th rounder. I likely move up in the 4th round in 2016.

3rd round (73): RB Duke Johnson Miami
Since I missed out on Gurley and Gordon in the 1st, I knew I had to get a starting RB. Duke was my 3rd highest rated RB and the last remaining in what I considered the second tier of RBs in this draft.

3rd round (93): OC Hroniss Grasu Oregon
I was really hoping to get a true ball hawk FS in Gerod Holliman but he went 2 spots before mine. This was one of my original 3rd round picks. I knew I needed interior-line help and Grasu was one of the highest rated true centers in the entire draft.

4th round (113): CB D'Joun Smith Florida Atlantic
This was the pick I got from Houston. I was surprised to see Smith still on the board since many mocks have him going in the 2nd round. He has better size than the CB I wanted in Ifo. And he went to my undergrad FAU (now I'm at my grad at U of Washington, lots of Huskies in this draft).

4th round (125): FS Kurtis Drummond Michigan State
This was one of my original 4th round picks. I missed out on FS Holliman in the 3rd but I had Drummond rated slightly lower and as my second favorite true ball hawk in the draft. He's also a better tackler and run stopper than Holliman.

Last edited:

reddyuta

Reaction score
Stealers picks

1) Shaq thompson-could be a replacement for Polamalu

2)Kevin Johnson cb-this is a steal imo because i feel he will go higher and the Steelers really need a CB.

3)Gabe wright-they do have good DEs but Gabe wright is a very good prospect.

4)i wanted David johnson and Tyler lockett but they went just before me but Max valles is a very good pass rusher who is kinda raw but has extreme potential ,i actually like him for the cowboys as he has the frame to bulk up and play DE.

.I feel like i have addressed their needs and still went BPA .

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
My thought process for the Vikings was to shore up problem areas on the offense to allow Bridgewater to mature, but also get Zimmer some parts he needed to get his defense where it needs to be as several areas have backup quality starting.

In the first it was an easy choice to take Kevin White. I have him neck and neck with Cooper and he may even be better in the long run. I was sweating out the Rams after Cooper went to Cleveland.

Second round was initialy frustrating as I saw the MLB the defense would benefit from like Kendricks go, but P.J. Williams was an incredible value that allows Zimmer to move Munnerlyn back to nickel and pair with Xavier Rhodes to form a strong duo.

The third round choice of Poutasi was important as he is a rising player who could play either guard or tackle and that is where the biggest need of the team lies IMO. This pick is more to the future as I think Kalil is a goner if he does not have a good 2015. Poutasi can take over for Charlie Johnson and get his career started.

The fourth rounder was a simple BPA/need match for me with Davis. With Peterson's uncertain status and McKinnon coming off of lower back surgery, a back that can play all three downs will come in handy.

Had the draft continued, I would have been looking for more depth on the OL and a few wildcards on the DL to pair with current personnel.

Tezz

Reaction score
I had the Bills

2nd Round - AJ Cann
Bills have a lot of young pieces with room for growth, but they still fielded one of the worst o-lines in the league. Cann is a power run blocker fits into what Rex is probably going to do with the ground and pound

Was looking at Maxx Williams who was picked and Jay Ajayi

3rd Round - Breshad Perriman
The Bills only playmaker is Sammy Watkins who gets double teamed every play. Scott Chandler at TE and their other WRs are basically non-existent. Woods is a possession guy that can move the chains and catch a couple balls every game. Perriman stretches the field to hopefully give Watkins some easier looks. Perriman has the potential to become much more than just a field stretcher as he refines his game, also moves Woods in my opinion to his best position at the slot

Was looking at Duke Johnson, Jeremiah Poutasi, Mario Edwards Jr., Jake Fisher and T.J. Yeldon which were all picked with David Cobb, DJ Humphries and Matt Jones in consideration as well

I wanted in on the RB class as I was looking at a prospect every round so if I had the Bills original 4th rounder I would've went with RB Matt Jones from Florida. I think he will be drafted higher than people think. Copycat league teams will view him as their own Legarette Blount powerback

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Jags draft

I think the Jags desperately need to upgrade the talent on both lines, priority was given to the oline given they drafted a qb high last year.

1. La'el Collins- traded down because the player I most wanted, Leonard Williams went second so I figured why not pick up two extra picks and still get a lineman early. Collins is a guy who can play either tackle though he is better suited at right tackle and maybe guard in the NFL. Like him because he plays nasty and has athletic talent to boot.

2. Denzel Perryman-Easy one for me, love his physicality and what he brings to a young Jags team. McKinney was also a consideration, but at the end of the day I wanted to stick to my philosophy which is too choose players who demonstrate toughness and passion.

2a.Owamagbe Odighizuwa-Truth be told I wanted Orchard here, but he went three spots earlier. OO is a nice fall back, great athlete, plays hard and very smart, which is usually a winning combo in the NFL. Jags have decent talent in the middle of the dline, they need help at the end position.

3.Tevin Coleman-Another tough player, to me he's as good an all round running back in this draft not named Gurley. Jags have Denard Robinson and not much else at the position.

4.Andy Gallik-I would have picked him in the third and not regretted it one bit. Very good center, plays with power and smarts and would anchor the Jags line for next ten years.