Kiper Invitational mock draft chatter....

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Giants

Brandon Scherff - The Giants were a mess on the OL. He can play OT or OG.
Nate Orchard - Same size as DeMarcus Lawrence but faster.
Xavier Cooper - Underrated player. Surprised he was available. Probably goes in the 2nd in the real draft.
David Cobb - Solid RB with size. Would be worth a 3rd.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jags draft

I think the Jags desperately need to upgrade the talent on both lines, priority was given to the oline given they drafted a qb high last year.

1. La'el Collins- traded down because the player I most wanted, Leonard Williams went second so I figured why not pick up two extra picks and still get a lineman early. Collins is a guy who can play either tackle though he is better suited at right tackle and maybe guard in the NFL. Like him because he plays nasty and has athletic talent to boot.

2. Denzel Perryman-Easy one for me, love his physicality and what he brings to a young Jags team. McKinney was also a consideration, but at the end of the day I wanted to stick to my philosophy which is too choose players who demonstrate toughness and passion.

2a.Owamagbe Odighizuwa-Truth be told I wanted Orchard here, but he went three spots earlier. OO is a nice fall back, great athlete, plays hard and very smart, which is usually a winning combo in the NFL. Jags have decent talent in the middle of the dline, they need help at the end position.

3.Tevin Coleman-Another tough player, to me he's as good an all round running back in this draft not named Gurley. Jags have Denard Robinson and not much else at the position.

4.Andy Gallik-I would have picked him in the third and not regretted it one bit. Very good center, plays with power and smarts and would anchor the Jags line for next ten years.

La'el Collins is one of my favorite players in this draft. I know most won't have him as high as you took him but I do. I was hoping I could steal him at 25. I don't think he's a LT in the NFL but he's a dominant G or RT. I'd love to have him in Dallas.

Imagine if we took Warford instead of Escobar and drafted Collins.

Smith Warford Frederick Martin Collins. Or flip flop Warford and Martin. One of them can play the left side.

That would be downright ridiculous. Tyler Clutts may break 1,000 yards running behind that line.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Giants

Xavier Cooper - Underrated player. Surprised he was available. Probably goes in the 2nd in the real draft.

Did you think about the Stanford tackle over Schreff at all. Some of the things I've read about Scherff is that he is similiar to Martin in that guard will be his best position. Looks like Pugh's best position is guard, so it looks like the Giants are still hurting at tackle if Scherff is going to be a guard.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Titans draft.

First off. This was my first time doing this and I thought is was great. Thanks to RS. Don't know if it's done this time every year, if so, have we thought about doing it like the 1st week of April? That way FA is pretty much over, the combine is over and we start to hear RUMINT about who teams like.

Two things I had in my mind going into the draft. 1) Tenn is a bad team, one draft will not turn them around, 2) try to avoid giving up 2016 picks as they will most likely be high picks and are desperately needed.

1st round - Leonard Williams. To me a no brainer pick. Tenn is in the 2nd year of switching to a 3-4. Williams is easily rated as the best player in the draft and a position of need. I'm not a Mariota fan and I'm going out on a limb that TN will be bad and will most likely be in the same place next year, so if Mettenberger doesn't pan out, maybe 2016 brings a better crop of QB's to choose from.

2nd round - Eli Harold. I tried to get back into the 1st round and was looking at Cameron Erving - OL- Florida State. Didn't want to give up my 3rd this year. TN just brought in Dick LeBau to help with the defense. They currently have Morgan and Wimbley as their OLB's. I debated between Harold and Orchard, but went with Harold because I see a lot of folks wanting Orchard for Dallas and a couple of things I read, think he is more a 4-3 end than a 3-4 OLB. I think LeBau will do wonders with this kid's potential.

3rd round - Cedric Ogbuehi. TN second biggest need is tackle. This pick doesn't help in 2015, but I was thinking to 2016. TN line could be 2nd best to Dallas. Lewan, Levitre, Womack and Ogbuehi. OG was rated as a mid 1st rounder before he tore his ACL.

4th round - Steven Nelson. In a division with Luck you need CB's. Nelson has some good reviews after the SR bowl and seems like a CB on the rise.

I tried trading back into the 4th to grab Henry Anderson - DE - Standford as another piece of my DL. But with the 2nd pick of the 5th round, I think my odds are good he would still be there.

I used CBS Sportsline as the main source of player rankings. Don't know if that's good place or not. I'm welcome to suggestions from more knowledgeable draft guys.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
know if it's done this time every year, if so, have we thought about doing it like the 1st week of April? That way FA is pretty much over, the combine is over and we start to hear RUMINT about who teams like.

Yeah, it's done every year the same week. The week of the combine. I prefer it then for the reasons you mentioned. It would be easier to do after the combine and personal workouts. Things are more defined then. It's more of a challenge this way.

But I always tell people who talk about this to do another later if you want. I just wouldn't run it. One is enough for me.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Yeah, it's done every year the same week. The week of the combine. I prefer it then for the reasons you mentioned. It would be easier to do after the combine and personal workouts. Things are more defined then. It's more of a challenge this way.

But I always tell people who talk about this to do another later if you want. I just wouldn't run it. One is enough for me.

Good point. Without that additional info. it is much harder to forecast players to teams.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What I really like about this draft is you kind of become connected to the players you draft. It is very interesting to see how their careers pan out.

I've had some monumental stupid decisions over the years. Troy Williamson, Trent Richardson, but I've also had some tremendous steals too.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
La'el Collins is one of my favorite players in this draft. I know most won't have him as high as you took him but I do. I was hoping I could steal him at 25. I don't think he's a LT in the NFL but he's a dominant G or RT. I'd love to have him in Dallas.

Smith Warford Frederick Martin Collins. Or flip flop Warford and Martin. One of them can play the left side.

That would be downright ridiculous. Tyler Clutts may break 1,000 yards running behind that line.

Yes, I like Collins a whole lot, he would be perfect for the Jags in this scenario where I traded down. Joekel has been a bust to this point, but I think a nasty physical player like Collins could rub off on him.
If Collins slipped to the Boys, I would be ecstatic if they drafted him. A guy who could play guard or right tackle is a need for this team and yes that oline would be devastating.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Good point. Without that additional info. it is much harder to forecast players to teams.

We should keep track of the progress of the guys we draft. Nice to re-visit later. Wouldn't mind looking at last year's selections to see how we did.

DFWJC

Reaction score

Fairly long odds, but there is a chance Collins is there at 27.
If there's a run on WRs (could be as few as 2 or as many 6 go before us) and both of the top RBs go in the first, there's a chance that he could slide.
Great value if he does.

Still, I'd love to get lucky on a D-lineman falling who is also worthy of that pick.

DFWJC

Reaction score
We should keep track of the progress of the guys we draft. Nice to re-visit later. Wouldn't mind looking at last year's selections to see how we did.
Yeah, it is fun.
Here was the report card BEFORE any of these guys played.
Of course, as RS has pointed out, all the report card is our personal assessments of how each of us did.
All in good fun

http://cowboyszone.com/threads/2014-mel-kiper-jr-invitational-report-card.283704/

He also has a thread that shows how we drafted compared to how the players were drafted int he actual NFL draft.
Again, it's all a relative thing.
I mean, if you took David Klingler 6th and he was taken 1st in the real draft, you would actually get credit....when in both cases, it was a poor use of an early 1st round pick.
So it's fun to see reality a year or three later.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Yeah, it is fun.
Here was the report card BEFORE any of these guys played.
Of course, as RS has pointed out, all the report card is our personal assessments of how each of us did.
All in good fun

http://cowboyszone.com/threads/2014-mel-kiper-jr-invitational-report-card.283704/

He also has a thread that shows how we drafted compared to how the players were drafted int he actual NFL draft.
Again, it's all a relative thing.
I mean, if you took David Klingler 6th and he was taken 1st in the real draft, you would actually get credit....when in both cases, it was a poor use of an early 1st round pick.
So it's fun to see reality a year or three later.

Thanks!
Ugghhhhh, I got flamed for taking Garrappolo in the second, but Yankey late first was brutal and Johnson (who failed a drug test at combine) was worse. Both tested really crappy at the combine, figured either wasn't as good as I thought. Did do well on Mack, Moncrief and it does appear Jimmy G wasn't the reach others thought and might be a better prospect than Manziel.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Thanks!
Ugghhhhh, I got flamed for taking Garrappolo in the second, but Yankey late first was brutal and Johnson (who failed a drug test at combine) was worse. Both tested really crappy at the combine, figured either wasn't as good as I thought. Did do well on Mack, Moncrief and it does appear Jimmy G wasn't the reach others thought and might be a better prospect than Manziel.

Garoppolo is a good example of the early grading just being opinion and all in good fun.
It turns out you picked him almost exactly where he was picked and that the team that took him thinks it was worth it. So it actually was a good pick. Yeah, Mack and Moncrief were great

Nation

Reaction score
I had the Bears who are moving from a 4-3 dumpster fire of a defense to a 3-4, but they may even have less talent for that scheme than they do for a 4-3. While the Safety position is probably the Bears biggest weakness it is my belief that the front seven in any defense, particularly in a 3-4, is where the bread is buttered. In addition to the front 7 the Bears have issues at safety, Right Tackle, cornerback, and you could make the argument that Cutler needs to be replaced soon as well. Make no mistakes about it, this is a bad football team that is being masked in public opinion due to being a fantasy football friendly offense.

First off the board for me was Randy Gregory from Nebraska who would be a 3-4 OLB. He seems to be a great fit at that spot due to his weight, and with a combination of an elite speed rush and a variety of pass rush moves he looks like a potential stud. He'll need to get into an NFL strength training program real quick to be able to play all 3 downs and hold up against the run, but he's being drafted to get after the quarterback.

Carl Davis from Iowa was the Bears second round pick and is a big-bodied fit for the defensive line in a 3-4 at 6'4" and 321 pounds. He's a player with an elite ceiling but character and effort concerns make him somewhat of a risk. However in the 2nd round you're not committing 30 million guaranteed to the guy so this should at the least be a solid first contract performance from him. I had really hoped that Jordan Phillips from Oklahoma would have dropped to me in this slot but this mock was very heavy on defensive linemen so nobody was slipping, and so Davis was the pick.

In the third round with no real value at safety or line I went with Ronald Darby from Florida State to replace Peanut Tillman at cornerback. As the Bears move further and further from the Tampa 2 they need reliable cover corners and Darby certainly filled that role for FSU. He has an ideal speed/size mix to play physical football which is certainly needed in Chicago in the winter.

In the 4th round we went with a developmental type player in offensive tackle DJ Humphries from Florida. Humphries has ideal size at 6'6" and has an athletic skill set that could have him develop into a starting LT in the league. He's very quick and athletic but needs to add strength and size so that his power game translates to playing NFL bodies.

All in all I was very happy with this draft. As a Cowboys fan it is a tease getting to choose from the elite pass rushers that sit at the top of the draft each year, but I really can't complain about 12-4 and a playoff win keeping us away from them.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I think somebody mentioned this earlier but a lot of good RBs will be available in the 4th,we dont have to make a need pick at all early.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did you think about the Stanford tackle over Schreff at all. Some of the things I've read about Scherff is that he is similiar to Martin in that guard will be his best position. Looks like Pugh's best position is guard, so it looks like the Giants are still hurting at tackle if Scherff is going to be a guard.

Peat is an upside type guy while Schreff is a Zack Martin sure-thing type. Where would Zack Martin be drafted in a redo ? Schreff will be a better OT than Pugh.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Giants

Another thing on my draft process. I created a list and gave it to Risen and just asked him to go BPA. I did update the list slightly before the 3rd round but I think I would have ended up with the same player either way.

Creating a complete draft list is a very interesting process. I highly recommend it. Making a list where you don't know who will be taken at any of the spots in 4 rounds requires ranking a large number of prospects.

If I used a simulator to do a mock, I can just pick out may pet cats in each round and still have a large number of prospects that I don't know much about. The problem with making the list is that if I just listed my pet cats I could end up with Cobb in the 2nd round instead of the 4th if all my pet cats were taken earlier than I expected.

The hard part was ranking all of my non pet cat type players but still trying to setup the list such that I did get my pet cats.

I feel good about my draft because I got all of the players later than where I had them ranked numerically.

1(9) Brandon Scherff T Iowa (Rank for my team top 5)
2(40) Nate Orchard DE Utah (Rank for my team late 1st)
3(74) Xavier Cooper DT Washington St. (Rank for my team mid 2nd)
4(105) David Cobb RB Minnesota (Rank for my team late 2nd)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not much of a stretch to say that since Pugh was overdrafted.

I'm just referencing that idea that they might move Pugh to OG and that some people say Scherff might move to OG. I expect Scherff to be a huge upgrade over Pugh at OT with Pugh moving to OG.