Kiper Invitational mock draft chatter....

DFWJC

Reaction score
Another thing on my draft process. I created a list and gave it to Risen and just asked him to go BPA. I did update the list slightly before the 3rd round but I think I would have ended up with the same player either way.

Creating a complete draft list is a very interesting process. I highly recommend it. Making a list where you don't know who will be taken at any of the spots in 4 rounds requires ranking a large number of prospects.

If I used a simulator to do a mock, I can just pick out may pet cats in each round and still have a large number of prospects that I don't know much about. The problem with making the list is that if I just listed my pet cats I could end up with Cobb in the 2nd round instead of the 4th if all my pet cats were taken earlier than I expected.

The hard part was ranking all of my non pet cat type players but still trying to setup the list such that I did get my pet cats.

I feel good about my draft because I got all of the players later than where I had them ranked numerically.

1(9) Brandon Scherff T Iowa (Rank for my team top 5)
2(40) Nate Orchard DE Utah (Rank for my team late 1st)
3(74) Xavier Cooper DT Washington St. (Rank for my team mid 2nd)
4(105) David Cobb RB Minnesota (Rank for my team late 2nd)

Yes, definitely a good idea to have a full listing and ranking. Even breaking them into tiers is a good idea as well.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Creating a complete draft list is a very interesting process. I highly recommend it. Making a list where you don't know who will be taken at any of the spots in 4 rounds requires ranking a large number of prospects.

I had an initial tiered list of my own, specific to the Vikings.

I knew there were certain positions I would not draft in the first four rounds (i.e. QB, FS) and certain players I know I didn't want regardless. When all said and done had a little under 40 prospects and was simply a case of sending a shorter version of the listing to ensure if I was not around that the pick would be right.

It does make the process easier when slotting players and taking them where you think they should go.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Rams thought process

Only had 3 picks in the first 4 rounds coming in(crap year for me to get the Rams after years upon years of multiple 1st rounders lol).

My biggest area of need was OL. Jake Long coming off injury, Barksdale going into FA, Greg Robinson maybe better suited inside at G.

Andrus Peat - my top ranked OT. Scherff i see as a OG at the next level, was concerned about the Giants taking my guy but lucklily for me they took Scherff.Peat is a day one starter on this OL. Protecting Sam Bradford probably means playoffs for this team.

As round 1 played out and round 2 began i began to see less and less value for my pick. A trade was made with the Browns who had a guy targetted in my slot. I wanted to pick up an extra pick this year if i was going to give away my 2nd rounder so a 4th rounder added to a 2016 1st rounder made a ton of sense. I see that Browns 2016 1st rounder being a top 5. Its a calamity of a franchise with NO QB of NFL pedigree imo. If i select top 10 with their selectin next year its jackpot time.

Danielle Hunter - thought he'd be gone in round 2. Adding to the strength of my team may be a luxury pick but Chris Long is always nicked up so adding a guy who can help on passing downs initially makes sense. Upside is through the roof with this guy

Cody Prewitt - he may actually be a SS in this league or even add weight to play LB , especially in this scheme. Either way he's a steal in round 4.

Alexander

Reaction score
have we got a thread anywhere with all these measurements, or a link to them?

Nothing yet, just random tweets. A couple of sites like ***USER-BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1*** and nfldraftcountdown.com should have them up later.

Alexander

Reaction score

Good stuff. While it is not the end all be all, it is still interesting to see how some players measure up.

Sifrin, JeanUMass605024533 3/811
Nice measurements for a TE, long arms and big hands. I think he would blow way up if he weren't overaged, I believe he's 27.

Dismukes, ReeseAuburn603029632 1/48 7/8
How on earth do his tiny child-like hands grip a football? His hands are smaller than every PK or P at the Combine.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
have we got a thread anywhere with all these measurements, or a link to them?
I gave you a really high grade. Value picks plus a 2016 1st. IIRC that 1st was from Cleveland which could be a really high pick.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
A little overview of what I did and why I did it.

When I was assigned the Panthers I knew their one biggest issue was protecting Cam Newton. They don't need one starting OT, they could really use two. This position would break any and all ties for me. I wouldn't have expected to finish this draft without one. I figured I'd find value somewhere but it turned out I didn't. At least not in my estimation.

I'm going to make this as short as possible and not try to whistle dixie like I landed a home run at every pick.

1(25) Todd Gurley RB Georgia
The early run on OTs caused me to shift gears. With the way the league is set up now, this pick only proves to be a good one if Gurley can be a special running back. I'm talking top tier. IMO, he's a top 10 talent in this draft easily. Too much value. I'm also not a big fan of the Panthers' aging stable of RBs. It's time to turn the page.

2(64) Phillip Dorsett WR Miami
I considered OT Daryl Williams at my original pick at 57 but ultimately felt he was a better 3rd round value so I traded down with New England for their 2nd and 3rd round picks. This is another selection I never expected to make. I just found the dynamic vertical stretch ability of this player too tempting to pass up at this spot. I know he's limited. I'm not drafting him to be one of the best all around WRs in the game. I'm drafting him to be my DeSean Jackson or Mike Wallace. I figure at worst he'll be the best Dorsett to ever play in the league.

What?

My new look offense now features Newton under center, Gurley in the backfield and Olsen, Benjamin and Dorsett running routes. That could be very dynamic.

3(82) Tre Jackson G Florida St.
I traded my 5th and 7th round picks to Atlanta to position myself to land what I believe is a walk on starter for the Panthers. I couldn't do anything about the OT position (with the value as I saw it, you may disagree), but I could fix one of the OG spots. Jackson's a road grader but he can move as well. He's a nice compliment to Trai Turner and gives the Panthers a solid interior wall in front of Newton. I just hope they did something in FA to address the edges.

With a 3rd, 5th and 7th round picks invested in him, he must turn out to be a quality starter or it was a bad selection.

3(96) Lynden Trail DE Norfolk St.
Athletic size/speed type. Highly productive on a lower level. The Panthers would have to be creative with Trail as he's not the traditional hand in the dirt, down defensive end. At least not yet. Move him around. Let him play the elephant position. Maximize his athleticism. He figures to stand out during the workouts. High upside flyer.

Note: I strongly considered D.J. Humphries T Florida with this pick. I didn't expect either player to make it to my next pick and wanted both. So no matter who I picked, I regretted the other.

4(121) Grady Jarrett DT Clemson
Why was this guy here? Seriously. He could have gone in the 2nd round and I wouldn't have been surprised by it. The Panthers have a real nice starting DT tandem with Lotulelei and Short but their backups are old and marginal. He's undersized but even in the worst case scenario that he's not a full time player (I do not agree), he can be effective in a rotation and provide nice depth. This was a continuation of sticking with value. I didn't make this pick. The 120 picks before it made this pick for me.

I already did my grading. I gave 4 teams the number equivalent of an A grade, with one team...Chicago...the best grade.

It would have made me sick If you took Daryl Williams # 57......I thought I was reaching a little bit by taking him @ 60.....But it sure seems like alot of people had their eye on him. if you had taken him....my next move was probably Cedric Ogbuehi T Texas A&M