News: Kitna and Moore to take Cowboys to next level with spread offense

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Not a fan of Prescott running the ball more, I get that he can but it also exposes him to more hits and a greater chance of injury. Everyone thought that RGIII was going to be unstoppable and that lasted what? a season and a half?
Dak is built completely different than RG3. Dak needs to take advantage of his size and running ability, but he needs to be smart when running. See Russel Wilson run.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Martin is excellent at pulling, though I do worry when I see our lineman pulling. DB’s regularly go low in these situations. I think Martin hurt his knee pulling last year.
that's kind of what I mean. When you get big hogs like that pulling, it opens them up to knee injuries. That's my concern...especially like you said, Zack coming off a bum wheel.

foofighters

Reaction score
I don't know. This Oline is meant to play straight up. If we work on Dak hitting Gallup in stride when he's loose, that's gonna force the DB's back. Feel like we really don't need to reinvent the wheel.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Yes, the Rams used 11 personnel more than any other team.

Side Note:
  • The 8-man box vs 7-man box is really more of a concept when the offense is using 21 or 12 personnel.
  • Against 11 personnel a stacked box is 7-man and a non-stacked box is 6-man.
  • Against 31 personnel as stacked box is 9-man and a non-stacked box is 8-man.

Oddly, the Patriots were on the opposite end of the spectrum with regards to using 11 personnel in 2018.

The Patriots used 11 personnel 58% of the snaps. Only 1 team used it less than 50% but 23 teams used it more than 60%.

The Patriots were 2nd in using 21 personnel and 5th in using 22 personnel.

Reference for anybody that needs it:

That's great information. I'm guessing that the Pats split their backs out more than most teams when in 2rb set. I wonder what percentage they throw the ball in 2rb and 2te sets.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I don't know. This Oline is meant to play straight up. If we work on Dak hitting Gallup in stride when he's loose, that's gonna force the DB's back. Feel like we really don't need to reinvent the wheel.
I tend to agree. We have the hosses up front, lets just line them up and bulldoze them.Impose our will and do what we do...altho I do agree we should be more creative on offense. I think we can do both and still maintain good team chemistry.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Good post. The entire game I thought WOW were we outclassed. In addition to our linemen 'tells' they used our best trait against us and that is pursuit. They gave us enough of a headfake that got our DL and LBers going the wrong way quickly off the snap. Then their OL just kept pushing us in that direction. They juked us at the line and we didn't have the size or strength up front to reverse direction to stop the running play. Simple but genius and it didn't take much to fool our LBers. We use to do that very same thing when we would run the counter draw to DeMarco. It was very effective but I haven't seen it lately.

Using pursuit and the fact we're a largely 1 gapping penetration defense, with mediocre talent inside and weak on depth. Haha yeah, outclassed.

I actually didn't know about the RB tipping direction with headfake, but it certainly makes a lot of sense. Penetrating DL that's not great, OL that's been pretty great, pursuit style, let them erase themselves out of the play just by running a simple zone cut n go. I knew they largely just used our DL momentum against them, but that is just another level of preparation.

You just know he sat down with his co-workers and was like, "what do we have on Dallas?"

"Cover 3, Cover 1 heavy. Lot of press man. DL plays mostly 1 gap, relies on pursuit and penetration. Good LBs but young, some talent at end but best player has had shoulder issues, middling DT talent with weak depth. SS as box can miss tackles and take questionable angles"

They had a pretty great OL for most of the season, and could definitely run the ball if gameplan was friendly to it.

That's a great example of knowing what you have, knowing your opponent, and diagnosing it quickly when you only have a week to prepare your guys. Not only higher level schemes, but lower level level like DL tendencies and how they diagnose pursuit on running plays. That's a lot of detail.

And they put together a great plan. It seems so simple when you think about it, right? But, that's what good coaches (people who are talented at their craft in general) tend to do, make the elegant seem obvious.

It's one thing to say it, it's another to get grown men to run it successfully and dominate a team that's typically been good against the run.

Belichek'esque. Hopefully Moore can show even a bit of that kind of preparation with some seasoning.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I tend to agree. We have the hosses up front, lets just line them up and bulldoze them.Impose our will and do what we do...altho I do agree we should be more creative on offense. I think we can do both and still maintain good team chemistry.

They're still going to play straight up, the OL aren't going anywhere. Getting guys out of the box should actually help them bulldoze people.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Kitna coaching experience is coming from the High School ranks and Moore influence from his father coaching and most recent history playing is from College. It doesn’t appear unreasonable that it could have more of an Amateur flair. I actually feel it might fit Daks skill set. Certainly worth a shot.
Your digs are kind of neat.
Most peeps don't give a shhhhhhhhh about subtly anymore.

You throw barbs out there like a pro.
Respect.