Kitna may be the real 2019 difference maker

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
In an offense based on timing footwork is key, a 3 step drop has to be the same every time or the ball will not be where it needs to be when the guys come open. In HS we had QB that was inconsistent with his drop back coaches put bungy cords at his ankles to help, if he did not stride long enough he would trip on the cords, and he could not over stride due to the tension on the cord.
in the NFL in general. you should get rid of the ball in 2.5 seconds, so the footwork has to be consistent, 3, 5, 7 steps, as he is stepping back (not thinking about it), and survey the field, set your foot and throw the ball. too often this year, Dak's feet were parallel to each other, trying to arm the throw in there off balance. his average time to throw was over 3 seconds, which was 4th longest among QBs last year. that also leads to a lot of sacks.

jrumann59

Reaction score
in the NFL in general. you should get rid of the ball in 2.5 seconds, so the footwork has to be consistent, 3, 5, 7 steps, as he is stepping back (not thinking about it), and survey the field, set your foot and throw the ball. too often this year, Dak's feet were parallel to each other, trying to arm the throw in there off balance. his average time to throw was over 3 seconds, which was 4th longest among QBs last year. that also leads to a lot of sacks.
I agree a lot of his worm burners and air mails and bad ball placement has to do with footwork. I have seen his 3 step drops look to be almost 4 or 5 and I have seen his 5 step looks either long or short. Footwork helps the OL because they know where he will be on any given play call. if his drop is inconsistent so will be his protection.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Just because they were under Linehan does not mean they are the same. Maybe they take the good stuff and add to it, and discard the bad stuff.
So just give it a chance.
Maybe ,it's just Jason Garnett making offensive coordinators live in box. Romo was the one that made Garrett look good all of those years, by changing the plays. So, unless Garrett opens the doors to that box, nothing will change.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I agree a lot of his worm burners and air mails and bad ball placement has to do with footwork. I have seen his 3 step drops look to be almost 4 or 5 and I have seen his 5 step looks either long or short. Footwork helps the OL because they know where he will be on any given play call. if his drop is inconsistent so will be his protection.
exactly. the OL men go by instinct, feel because they don't see the QB and they are just protecting a space. if the QB is not consistently where he needs to be, then it makes their job difficult

Plumfool

Reaction score

Just wanted to correct something last year according to Next Gen Stats it was 2.82 for Dak and they’re nine QBs worse than him. Listening to analyst like Brian Baldinger a lot of the issue was scheme. Teams often knew what was coming especially earlier in the year. Although i agree Dak needs to have better footwork.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
this is to funny how many times has a QB coach been the DM? is this like Ware making a JAG a better player?

our standards are so low, we need other coaches to bring us up.

morat1959

Reaction score
only in dallas do we get single minded fans that can't break from a singular topic of their choice to beat on daily and must insert their hate of said person into every thread they can.

nah. i'm sure all forums have an eeyore running around.
Your GM installed this in us. Hard to be optimistic when you know there isn’t a snowballs chance in hell of winning a SB before the season ever starts.

morat1959

Reaction score
I don't see any one coach being the difference maker but the cumulative effect of adding more fire, like they did with Richard, can make a difference.
Richard has a proven track record in this century.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's sad to think people still think it's Garrett holding the offense back when in fact it was linehans refusal to incorporate things to help make Dak and our offense as a whole more proficient. Case in point we got better when Garrett, Moore, and neusmeir came up with the game plans. Linehan was the OC who didn't like players or other coaches telling him or helping him with game design. Both Kitna and Moore should help the offense become more efficient and diverse.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
If I had to quantify it, I'd say my confidence in the 2019 offensive coaching staff is easily doubled as a consequence of adding Kitna.

Kitna is a wild card.

Apparently he has been waiting for a chance to coach.

Another of Jerrah's hires of former players.

I have no idea what to expect from him.

His career was middle of the pack.

kskboys

Reaction score
Maybe ,it's just Jason Garnett making offensive coordinators live in box. Romo was the one that made Garrett look good all of those years, by changing the plays. So, unless Garrett opens the doors to that box, nothing will change.
Not by changing the plays. He made Garrett look better by extending the plays so someone could finally break open after leaving their route.

kskboys

Reaction score
It's sad to think people still think it's Garrett holding the offense back when in fact it was linehans refusal to incorporate things to help make Dak and our offense as a whole more proficient. Case in point we got better when Garrett, Moore, and neusmeir came up with the game plans. Linehan was the OC who didn't like players or other coaches telling him or helping him with game design. Both Kitna and Moore should help the offense become more efficient and diverse.
Where'd you get this take from? Just curious, because that's not what was being said.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If I had to quantify it, I'd say my confidence in the 2019 offensive coaching staff is easily doubled as a consequence of adding Kitna.

Fixing Dak should have been the #1 priority last offseason. Promoting Moore to QB showed they didn't take the issue seriously. Now that they're going to plunk down 100mil, they made a grownup signing at QB coach.

Kitna is credible as an NFL QB coach. I'll take him.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
A player's career as a player has nothing to do w/ his ability to coach. Mostly, the best players don't make good coaches.

No. A former NFL player may stink at coaching, but the knowledge gained through his career is not nothing for his ability to coach. He's both played and experienced how other coaches coached him. That's a lot more than nothing. My mom has nothing.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If and when Kitna lives up to his billing, he should help Dak go to the next step in his development. He's well known to specialize in correcting problems associated with a QB's footwork. He'll grill Dak incessantly upon getting his footwork straightened out, first and foremost. That's what he's well known to preach from the get-go. It's an area that should prove interesting in terms of potentially resolving the inconsistencies caused by way of correcting one of Dak's most frequent flaws in his performance. I'm anxious to see the results in hopes that they reduce Dak's inconsistencies. ;)

Last edited:

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Your GM installed this in us. Hard to be optimistic when you know there isn’t a snowballs chance in hell of winning a SB before the season ever starts.
My gm?

Project elsewhere, son.

kskboys

Reaction score
No. A former NFL player may stink at coaching, but the knowledge gained through his career is not nothing for his ability to coach. He's both played and experienced how other coaches coached him. That's a lot more than nothing. My mom has nothing.
Ah, context is your friend!!!!!! The fact that the player was mediocre was being used to judge his ability to coach. It's not related.