Kitna may be the real 2019 difference maker

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Ah, context is your friend!!!!!! The fact that the player was mediocre was being used to judge his ability to coach. It's not related.

I was thinking Moore, but the point still stands with Kitna. His NFL career *is* relevant to an evaluation of him as a QB coaching candidate too.

Being a middle of the pack starter for a long career in the NFL is about *as good* a player as you can expect to get as a position coach. Particularly at QB. Just as Moore level of play as a borderline PS/Roster player is relevant to evaluation of him. Moore is significantly *less* accomplished than the kind of player you can expect to get as a QB coach.

Big time players have big stacks of money, and better opportunities for getting more. They don't need to bust their humps as a position coach for relative peanuts. Some people made noise about wanting Tony as a QB coach. Yeah, I think he'd be great, but he's got better things to do. I do think running a QB camp would be in his interests. It would enhance his other opportunities. But Tony isn't going to be anyone's grunt staff.

But the better the player actually was, relative to other candidates, the more likely he is to be the better coach. Kitna happens to be in the *better player* QB coaching candidate bin.

kskboys

Reaction score
I was thinking Moore, but the point still stands with Kitna. His NFL career *is* relevant to an evaluation of him as a QB coaching candidate too.

Being a middle of the pack starter for a long career in the NFL is about *as good* a player as you can expect to get as a position coach. Particularly at QB. Just as Moore level of play as a borderline PS/Roster player is relevant to evaluation of him. Moore is significantly *less* accomplished than the kind of player you can expect to get as a QB coach.

Big time players have big stacks of money, and better opportunities for getting more. They don't need to bust their humps as a position coach for relative peanuts. Some people made noise about wanting Tony as a QB coach. Yeah, I think he'd be great, but he's got better things to do. I do think running a QB camp would be in his interests. It would enhance his other opportunities. But Tony isn't going to be anyone's grunt staff.

But the better the player actually was, relative to other candidates, the more likely he is to be the better coach. Kitna happens to be in the *better player* QB coaching candidate bin.
Disagree.

Better players make notoriously bad coaches. I believe it's due to the game coming too easily for them.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It's sad to think people still think it's Garrett holding the offense back when in fact it was linehans refusal to incorporate things to help make Dak and our offense as a whole more proficient. Case in point we got better when Garrett, Moore, and neusmeir came up with the game plans. Linehan was the OC who didn't like players or other coaches telling him or helping him with game design. Both Kitna and Moore should help the offense become more efficient and diverse.
true. it was interesting that Garrett wanted to let Linehan go in 2017, but Jones didn't allow it...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If and when Kitna lives up to his billing, he should help Dak go to the next step in his development. He's well known to specialize in correcting problems associated with a QB's footwork. He'll grill Dak incessantly upon getting his footwork straightened out, first and foremost. That's what he's well known to preach from the get-go. It's an area that should prove interesting in terms of potentially resolving the inconsistencies caused by way of correcting one of Dak's most frequent flaws in his performance. I'm anxious to see the results in hopes that they reduce Dak's inconsistencies. ;)
I am not sure how much time Dak spent on his basic fundamentals like his footwork as you said. but that's all he should be doing this off season. foot work, release of the ball needs to be consistent. until its second nature....he can't revert back to his old safe during the games....can Dak do that? then his accuracy will increase and he will learn to trust himself and his release time should be better and his game will improve.....basic basic fundamentals and I can't believe we are talking about basic fundamentals for a QB in his 4th year in the league

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I am not sure how much time Dak spent on his basic fundamentals like his footwork as you said. but that's all he should be doing this off season. foot work, release of the ball needs to be consistent. until its second nature....he can't revert back to his old safe during the games....can Dak do that? then his accuracy will increase and he will learn to trust himself and his release time should be better and his game will improve.....basic basic fundamentals and I can't believe we are talking about basic fundamentals for a QB in his 4th year in the league

Yeah, Dak's already working with Kitna whenever they get the chance to work together.

Let's hope at least some of it sinks in and makes a difference. It should show up in TC.

Pants

Reaction score
so Linehan+Moore vs Moore+Kitna

what could go wrong? not sure, but THANK GOD that this will likely be the last time I type Linehan in here

kskboys

Reaction score
That points toward a lack of player development, which has been a continuing problem for this org for a long time. I think it has mostly to do w/ a GM who doesn't/cannot see past wins/losses. They saw it as "Dak is winning, he must be good enough". This isn't the first time it's happened. They ruined Ratliff's career w/ this way of thinking.

morat1959

Reaction score
It was linehan who convinced Stephen to get rid of Dez too.
Well it was one of only a few things he did right. Pull the weeds and the flowers will grow. I was so glad when the cancer was cut lose. Not that we had anything better on the team but that goes back to our GM.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Only in Dallas do we put hope in a QB coach because all the head coach does is screw things up. Last season it was the WR coach that was going to change everything.

LOL...…….soo true. Lial or whatever was supposed to infuse all these creative routes. Never happened. Everyone seems to get neutered with Garretts offense. We can only hope that Moore is looking to make his mark.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
LOL...…….soo true. Lial or whatever was supposed to infuse all these creative routes. Never happened. Everyone seems to get neutered with Garretts offense. We can only hope that Moore is looking to make his mark.

Exactly. The constant has been Garrett. A complete zero of a coach. Guy stunk as an OC and hasn’t proven a thing as a head coach.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
If I had to quantify it, I'd say my confidence in the 2019 offensive coaching staff is easily doubled as a consequence of adding Kitna.

I think he can help Dak with some mechanic issues he has. I've always liked Kitna and I hope he succeeds. He was more than serviceable during the time he spent here.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Exactly. The constant has been Garrett. A complete zero of a coach. Guy stunk as an OC and hasn’t proven a thing as a head coach.

I know that I go overboard on Garrett sometimes, but honestly............I have NEVER seen anyone as inept at offense or calling a game or game planning and adjustments than Garrett.